Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaks on print  (Read 1814 times)

Paul_M

Streaks on print
« on: August 28, 2011, 07:03:21 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I apologize if this is a common question, but I'm not sure exactly how to describe my problem without just showing a photo. 

I'm new to inkjet printing.  I got an Epson R3000 about three weeks ago.  I've tried several paper types and have had this problem with most of them, although it's worse with my latest tests of Canson Platine Fibre Rag.  I keep getting streaks near the edges of the paper.  They're worst near the trailing edge, but sometimes occur near the leading edge (to a much lesser degree), and I've seen a few faint marks nearer the middle. 

I think this is likely caused by head strikes.  Would you agree?  What is the best terminology to describe these marks? 

The two prints pictured were printed the following ways:

Top:  1st try for the Platine.  Regular paper feed tray.  Platen gap set to WIDE.  Paper thickness set to 3 (=.3mm)
Bottom:  2nd try.  Manual feed paper tray.  Platen gap set to WIDE.  Paper thickness set to 4 (=.4mm)...slight improvement.

Do I just need to keep increasing the paper thickness, or is there something else wrong here? 

Thanks for your help.

Paul

howardm

Re: Streaks on print
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 10:21:35 pm »

yup, head strike due to one or more of......

not setting thickness correctly
not setting platen gap correctly
paper curl near edges
cantilevering of the paper

On my 3800, I'd use something like Wider or Widest and 4 or 5  for gap/thickness

You may also want to gently decurl the edges just before you print. 

Also, support the print on the output tray.  ie. dont let it hang in space which forces the
trailing edge up which exacerbates the problem.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:45:37 am »

On my 3880 I use Wide and 4 for the Canson Platine.  I don't know what the comparable settings on the R3000 would be.  In addition, even when you've stored your paper flat and the cut sheets appear flat, gently bend the trailing corners back slightly before placing the sheet in the printer.  Like you, I had more trouble on the trailing edge.  I also raise the output tray.  All of the above are needed to prevent the head strikes on this paper, but well worth it.

Paul_M

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:13:21 pm »

Howard & Barbara,

I appreciate your response on this.  I've been reading a lot of discussions about this type of problem, but I'm never really sure if what someone's describing is the same thing I'm seeing.  It helps to have visual confirmation.  I'll keep experimenting. 

Paul

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:00 am »

I made a print on Platine Fibre Rag this afternoon and got the same problem on my 3880. I adjusted the gap from 3 to 4 and from auto to wider and I used the rear feed instead of sheet feed as is the printeer's default for Premium Semi Gloss, Canson's recommended media setting.
The second print is sweet, clean and beautiful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up