Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultimate Workstation  (Read 16365 times)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Ultimate Workstation
« on: August 28, 2011, 01:24:06 am »

If you guys were building an ultimate workstation for image processing and video rendering 50/50.. what components would you choose? 

CPU/chipset/RAM.  I'm also curious as to your thoughts on the 2600k/z68 vs. the i7-980/x58 for the intended purpose, and how the price differential once you include the 2600k's max of 32gb of RAM vs the i7-980's 24gb of ram (about $200 for the same quality/speed)..   For this build we want max processing/speed.  Do you think the i7-980's six cores for $600 and $200 for 24gb of ram will outperform the 2600k's four cores ($349) and 32gb of ram (about $1300)?  What motherboards would you use?  Are dual CPU systems still viable when compared?  I'm not interested in the 2600k's build in GPU, hybrid controller, or any of that sort of thing.  Only features/performance that would render video/images better/faster.

GPU's..  The displays will be 3 PA301w's which are 10 bit displays.  Adobe isn't listing CS5 as 10 bit compatible and from what I can read between the lines CS6 won't be either.  Considering that, will the greatly superior processing power of say a dual GPU ATI HD 6990 ($729) serve better than a mid-grade workstation card like the 7800 for about the same price for image processing and video rendering?  I know I'd choose a workstation card for CAD/CAM aps.. an ISV card.  But is there any "visual" or "performance" benefit for images with a workstation card?  I'm especially interested in the 10 bit pros and cons..

Storage:  We're going for a Revodrive 3 x2 480gb for system/programs/caches, and a Vertex 3 240gb for a work drive, and a Vertex 3 60gb coupled with a WD R4 Black 1tb and a hybrid controller for LR indexes.  WD R4 Black 2tb's will be internal storage, Drobe via esata external.  Not interested in internal raids.   Would you do it differently if money wasn't an issue?

We're also looking at an Lian-li V1020R case.. it's a work of art.. with a Enermax 1350 GOLD which I know is overkill, but this PS has really high quality componentry including very high quality Japanese capacitors so the $70 increase over the 900watt model doesn't bother me.  Would you choose a different case or supply and why?>

I'm building this for a good client and I want to explore all options.  Input is greatly appreciated.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Steve House

Re: Ultimate Workstation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:53:25 am »

I'm looking at building out a system with very much the same objectives as the above and am looking forward to suggestions as well.  Since I also plan to do audio recording as well as photo and video work, those offering suggestions please add to the list of desirable features in the case and power supply as close to absolutely silent performance as possible - rock-bottom minimum possible fan and drive noise noise, etc.  My current Dell desktop sounds like a 747 spooling up for takeoff  >:(.

B-Ark

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:39:26 am »

I'd say that's pretty close to an ultimate system. I like the bevy of SSD's.
For the 2600k system, I assume you meant $300 for memory, not $1300.

In a number of months, the 2600k will be superseded by a faster chip. Plug it in, and performance goes up. I don't know, but I might guess that the i7-980 is getting close to end of line and may not offer much growth potential.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:59:07 am »

I'd say that's pretty close to an ultimate system. I like the bevy of SSD's.
For the 2600k system, I assume you meant $300 for memory, not $1300.

In a number of months, the 2600k will be superseded by a faster chip. Plug it in, and performance goes up. I don't know, but I might guess that the i7-980 is getting close to end of line and may not offer much growth potential.

No mistake, at Crucial.com 32gb (4 8gb sticks) will run you about $1300 and that's for only 1333.. There are cheaper 8gb sticks, $800 for 32gb being the cheapest I can find with a real name.

And yes "Ivybridge" will be out towards mid-late 2012.. it will be interesting to see what that brings.  And there has been talk of another 1366 series with 8 cores coming out before that.  But so far it's all vaporware.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:05:01 am »

I'm looking at building out a system with very much the same objectives as the above and am looking forward to suggestions as well.  Since I also plan to do audio recording as well as photo and video work, those offering suggestions please add to the list of desirable features in the case and power supply as close to absolutely silent performance as possible - rock-bottom minimum possible fan and drive noise noise, etc.  My current Dell desktop sounds like a 747 spooling up for takeoff  >:(.

A quality Lian-li case will be very quiet, especially if you use an aftermarket cooler like this one on your GPU.  140mm fans at mid-speeds are almost silent in the Lian-li cases.  The loudest noise is the power supply.

For audio recording NO noise is the goal, and that means one of the few fanless very high quality power supplies.  The problems with these is they're in the 400-500watt range which isn't enough power for a well equipped image workstation.. so you might want to consider two machines, one for each purpose, depending how serious you are about your audio recording.

degrub

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:06:23 am »

or cut a hole in the wall and put the machines in a different room from the recording.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:40:39 am »

At this point, Socket 2011 is nearly here.  It will replace Socket 1366.  Although Steve is well aware of the differences between the X58 Chipset (socket 1366) and Z68 (socket 1155) - I thought it would be usefull to compare:

The chief difference is the method of memory access - the Z68 chipset continues to use the tried and true south bridge, resulting in serial memory access over a bandwidth constrained bus.  Granted, with the Z68 that bandwidth has dramatically increased resulting in better performance figures than the x58.

The X58 and the soon to be released X79 (socket 2011) offer on die memory access controllers- thats exactly why the pin count on these CPU's is so high.  On die memory access control offers some significant advantages:

1) Lower latency -transfer of data from RAM to the CPU's L3 Cache occurs in fewer "clocks" - to put it another way, the CPU simply spends less time waiting for it's data.
2) Interleaving - The X58 uses 3 channel interleaving, basically data is "striped" across 3 memeory modules and sequentially accessed (the X79 uses 4  channel interleaving).  This also dramatically reduces the performance difference between various memory clock speed - in addition, the performance hit you take with ECC memory is also reduced.

So given the question - if I were to build that ultimate workstation today (for photography) - I would tend to choose the Z68, as it actually outperforms the X58, with the advantage of additional memory capacity.  All that being said, I'm *not* personally replacing my X58 (reference Intel mainboard) workstation with a Z68....

In a very unscientific comparision, I tried LR/CS5 processing a 14 shot pano on both my X58 and a Dual Xeon CPU S5500 Workstation built for a client, I really saw no significant difference in either speed or core utilization (again strictly for photgraphy)

My recommendation would actually be the X79 populated to 32GB (I would use ECC, but that won't be required - the X79 chipset will support both).  If you look at prototypes from this year's CES, you see very short memory traces with the 4 memory sockets immediately adjacent to the CPU.

http://motherboardnews.com/2011/05/30/x79-motherboards-galore-at-computex-2011-pre-show/

For Video processing, it's a different story:  Here's a nice source of information, providing Premiere CS5 benchmark's and results for various machine configurations:

http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php

Note that machines with Dual Xeon, Socket 1366 *and* Z68 are among the top 5........

Finally on cases - you may want to check out Mountain Mods:

http://www.mountainmods.com/monticle-18-cyo-p-501.html

They actually make the Lian-Li seem kinda thin..... ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:17:32 pm by John.Murray »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 01:36:37 pm »

At this point, Socket 2011 is nearly here.  It will replace Socket 1366.  Although Steve is well aware of the differences between the X58 Chipset (socket 1366) and Z68 (socket 1155) - I thought it would be usefull to compare:

So given the question - if I were to build that ultimate workstation today (for photography) - I would tend to choose the Z68, as it actually outperforms the X58, with the advantage of additional memory capacity.  All that being said, I'm *not* personally replacing my X58 (reference Intel mainboard) workstation with a Z68....

Note that machines with Dual Xeon, Socket 1366 *and* Z68 are among the top 5........

Finally on cases - you may want to check out Mountain Mods:

http://www.mountainmods.com/monticle-18-cyo-p-501.html

They actually make the Lian-Li seem kinda thin..... ;)

1.  In all good conscience, I can't recommend not only a brand new motherboard model, but a brand new chipset as being "reliable" to a client.  It might be something I'd play around with for myself just because it's the latest and greatest and therefore cool.. but not to a client.

2.  The 2600k/z68 does outperform the 980/x58 "per core" to the tune of what.. 7-9%?  But you've got two more cores with the 980.  Considering this to you still think the z68 outperforms?  And that 32gb memory comes with a steep pricetag, though money is a secondary consideration on this build.

3.  Nice list on Premier!  Sure, the z68 is in the top 5, but it's pushing 5.2ghz to get there.. that's smoking.  Wonder what it's lifespan would be?  And it's certainly water cooled.  We'll be using stock speeds and air cooling.  The 980's seem to dominate that list along with it's 970 brother (same six cores, but a tad slower stock speed). coming in 2nd.  Kinda surprised the z68 isn't better represented, but it hasn't been out that long either.

4.  Thanks for the tip on the Mountain Mod's cases.. they look work spending a bit to read up on.  Have you personal experience with them?  I've not seen much (other than a Mac Pro) in the same class consistently as Lian-li's.. but I'm open to new stuff.  I've always considered cases as a vital component because of air flow and ease of service, while most still look at them as a box to hold the parts together.

Any thoughts on 10 bit workflows?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 02:32:48 pm »

When it comes to workstation class machines, I have no hesitation adopting Intel's "reference" implementation right away.  Just look at Apple lately....  I'll be building an X79 as soon as it's available and will be happy to report on it.

In regards to Z67/68 offerings, Intel really messed up on the first two releases of the Z67 chipset (SATA controller).  They've changed process' as a result - I've had *no* issues with a first run Asus Z68 board.  In fact, I have yet to see a single BIOS update posted -*very* unusual, especially for Asus.....

In regard to cores, thats where i'm frankly unsure - in my comparison i did not see the additional cores make any appreciable difference, at least with LR/CS5.  In addition, I remember a post by Eric Chan mentioning that LR really doesn't benefit beyond 6 cores....

ppbm5 is a fascinating site!  Obviously, I don't overclock either, but it's quite amazing how well "enthusiast" class machines compare with workstation class.  Of course, with Premiere the video card is also a huge factor.....  

I recently received the Mountain Mods "monticle" case, I'll be building the X79 in it - they actually ship flat.  Panel thickness is much closer to a Mac Pro

As far as a 10bit workflow, obviously displayport is required - nVidia Quadro class cards appear to be the way to go.  Apparently the GTX580 is capable of 10bit, but the driver doesn't allow it.  I saw another thread on Abobe, where a user mention that the GTX470 was supported:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3062686

Honestly I'm waiting for a bit of clarity from the display makers.......

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/40049/TB-04701-001_v02_new.pdf

Finally, Eizo documents 10bit display support for CS5:

http://www.eizo.com/global/support/compatibility/monitors/20.pdf

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:53:01 pm by John.Murray »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 06:51:20 pm »

In regard to cores, thats where i'm frankly unsure - in my comparison i did not see the additional cores make any appreciable difference, at least with LR/CS5.  In addition, I remember a post by Eric Chan mentioning that LR really doesn't benefit beyond 6 cores....

ppbm5 is a fascinating site!  Obviously, I don't overclock either, but it's quite amazing how well "enthusiast" class machines compare with workstation class.  Of course, with Premiere the video card is also a huge factor.....  

I recently received the Mountain Mods "monticle" case, I'll be building the X79 in it - they actually ship flat.  Panel thickness is much closer to a Mac Pro

As far as a 10bit workflow, obviously displayport is required - nVidia Quadro class cards appear to be the way to go.  Apparently the GTX580 is capable of 10bit, but the driver doesn't allow it.  I saw another thread on Abobe, where a user mention that the GTX470 was supported:

1.  Adobe will an unlimited number of cores.  At least this is the conventional wisdom I've read in a few tech reports from Adobe.  Something I've always felt they should provide is a more complete area for equipment giving the system builder more information to work with.  I feel it's poor support to just ignore the subject (or give some generic answer which is just as good) and let the guys in the forums figure it out.  This goes for 10 bit support too.  Nothing official from Adobe that I can find either other than which GPU's and systems are ISV certified for specific applications.. which is really nice, but they're not addressing the 10 bit question directly.  If you buy an ISV certified GPU which supports 10 bit, does that mean CS5 Photoshop now supports 10 bit?  And I'm wondering if we even want 10 bit, what I really want is the closest thing to the capabilities of my own printer or my print shops printer. 

In any case, I do think 6 cores with 24gb of RAM, all else being equal, should out perform 4 cores with 32gb of RAM which run 7-9% faster.  And that benchmark page you link shows the 6 cores dominating the top spots.

2.  I'll over clock when I feel I'm getting enough out of it for my trouble AND I know I can do it reliably.  With the 920/930/950/960's I can do this comfortably to 3.8ghz.. but I'm happy with them at 3.6..

3.  Lian li has a more serious series of cases with thick panels and a brick build quality.  But if I can get the same quality or better built in the USA at a comparable price then I will.

4.  Did you read that thread you linked?  It was like the blind leading the blind, in the dark.  No one was sure of anything.

I suppose the answers we need to know concerning 10 bit:

a.  Do we benefit from it with our current printers?

b.  How to achieve it throughout 100% of our workflow.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 09:01:21 pm »

1) The issues raised by Eric and others are very relevant.  Simply throwing more cores at a given task doesn't automatically imply "better performance", at some point processor cache coherency, and resultant memory faults are going to begin to swamp any benefit offered by multiple cores; this is why I take his statement regarding 6 cores for Lightroom very seriously.  In my experience, comparing CS5 rendering a 14 shot pano on my X58 and a new Dual Xeon (12 total cores), revealed a suprisingly small performance difference.  Running Windows Resource Monitor during the render on both machines, showed relatively little CPU utilization.

For video, I would expect a different result, as ppbm5's statistics bear out.  But again, Premiere relies heavily on nVidia's CUDA GPU methods.

In any case, it would be tough for me to recommend the X58, in the face of the X79 coming out.  I did pose the 8-core 1366 question to my Intel Rep - he simply responded with another question; "Now why would we cannibalize 2011 sales?"  8 cores on 32nm process in the face of the newer Ivy Bridge 22nm process with trigate transistors?  

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384909,00.asp

Probably not...  In my opinion the forthcoming Z79/Socket 2011 hardware is going to be every bit the "monster" that the X58 was when *it* came out 3 years ago.

2) I'll never overclock; I guess our conservatism shows in different ways....

3) Mountain Mods are made in my backyard (well close) in Hoods River, OR.  I'm quite knocked out by the quality, and modularity.  A bit industrial at first glance, I'm planning on replacing exterior hardware with recessed, smoothing appearance out - none the less, the one consistent comment I get is "wow".

4) LOL - that exactly why I posted it.  The comment about the nVidia support engineer (if true) is telling.  Lots of confusion....

From my understanding, PS-CS5 doesn't really have to "support" 10bit color, any more than it "supports" 16bit printing.  Internally, it's 15 (+1) bit of course - the interface to outside devices and their attendant colorspaces would be dependant on the the individual device capabilties;

Eizo has definately documented 10bit display color for CS5 for Windows 7 to it's panels via ATI adapters in the link I provided above.

Which begs the question; do we need it?  For me, certainly not - i rarely, if ever, see display banding, and fully understand that it will have no effect on my printed output.  I've read that 10bit color *is* important for rendering and evaluating broadcast color - but to my knowledge that is normally done on dedicated hardware/applications (ie: Davinci Resolve).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:16:45 pm by John.Murray »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 11:38:23 pm »

1) The issues raised by Eric and others are very relevant.  Simply throwing more cores at a given task doesn't automatically imply "better performance", at some point processor cache coherency, and resultant memory faults are going to begin to swamp any benefit offered by multiple cores; this is why I take his statement regarding 6 cores for Lightroom very seriously.  I

For video, I would expect a different result, as ppbm5's statistics bear out.  But again, Premiere relies heavily on nVidia's CUDA GPU methods.

In any case, it would be tough for me to recommend the X58, in the face of the X79 coming out.  I did pose the 8-core 1366 question to my Intel Rep - he simply responded with another question; "Now why would we cannibalize 2011 sales?"  8 cores on 32nm process in the face of the newer Ivy Bridge 22nm process with trigate transistors?  

Probably not...  In my opinion the forthcoming Z79/Socket 2011 hardware is going to be every bit the "monster" that the X58 was when *it* came out 3 years ago.

2) I'll never overclock; I guess our conservatism shows in different ways....

3) Mountain Mods are made in my backyard (well close) in Hoods River, OR.  I'm quite knocked out by the quality, and modularity.  A bit industrial at first glance, I'm planning on replacing exterior hardware with recessed, smoothing appearance out - none the less, the one consistent comment I get is "wow".

4) LOL - that exactly why I posted it.  The comment about the nVidia support engineer (if true) is telling.  Lots of confusion....

Which begs the question; do we need it?  For me, certainly not - i rarely, if ever, see display banding, and fully understand that it will have no effect on my printed output.  I've read that 10bit color *is* important for rendering and evaluating broadcast color - but to my knowledge that is normally done on dedicated hardware/applications (ie: Davinci Resolve).

1.  In this instance we are talking six cores which everyone seems to agree on ARE utilized, and we are talking an equal amount of video.  I see the six cores of the 980 superior for these purposes to the four cores of the 2600k.  "How much?"  Only testing with specific applications will tell.  And with the cost of 32gb in the 2600k system the x58 system is significantly less expensive.

2.   For me it would be tough.. well I just wouldn't.. recommend a system that isn't consumer tested and well on it's way to it's first revision.  Much less a system that isn't even out yet.  This system is being built next week, not sometime next year.  So the z79 while interesting isn't a possibility.

3.  It will be interesting to see how the z79 evolves.  Though, there is still plenty of time for a major upset.  These days you can't count on anything until it's actually sitting on your dealers shelves.

4.   Some CPU's overclock without penalty, all the major manufacturers have put out their versions of overclocked 920/930/950/960's and backed them with their standard or extended warranties.  We've had this conversation before and while I agree it's an area I normally wouldn't touch, it also doesn't make sense to not take advantage of free power when it's indeed free.

5.  Hoods River?   I owned a small ranch in Umpqua for  some years and just recently relocated what stateside assets I had from the Medford area to the midwest.  I'd love to support a local Oregon company so I'll be checking them out carefully.. I might even arrange to visit their factory on my next visit home.

6.  Exactly.. I'm waiting for someone to tell us why we need or even want 10 bit.   NEC, HP, Eizo, Dell.. they're all jumping on the 10 bit bandwagon and the GPU manufacturers are as well.  AFAIK Adobe has no ISV 10 bit certifications.. so I wouldn't build one in a clients system  anyway unless they had a specific need and understood the risks and penalties.

On the other hand maybe there is a reason we need it.. and someone will put it in the next post.. :)  It's definitely significant technology, but what will we use it for?

Interesting subject.. I know most don't really care, they just want a box and they want it to work.  But I like to understand a lot deeper and when I build a system I like to know I'm spending my clients money wisely.  Okay, and to me it's fun.  I just find this stuff interesting.. Great conversation!

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 08:36:05 am »

I haven't read everything. But I think I can give some information.

I have two computers right here.

Intel i7 980 at 4Ghz (Running on air. At around 60-70 on full load) - 6 cores
X58 board
24Gb RAM

For drives see below

Dual Xeon running at 3,6Ghz - 12 cores
48GB of RAM
1 x 128GB System SSD
1 x 512GB Lightroom SSD
2 x LSI Mega RAID cards
(1 x 4 - 500GB HDDs in RAID 0 as Scratch. Way better than any SSDs. Still cheaper and not much slower. And at least i know the performance will stay the same)
(1x 10 - 2TB HDDs in RAID 10. Amazingly fast. Huge performance and I can keep all my current files in the computer.)

All is in one PC tower. I hate external storage solutions, especially when I can put everything into one easly. I have room for around 8 more drives.

All in all you could say that they are quite different when it comes to price. The X58 costs arund 1/4 or less compared to the dual board.

Some testing obersavtion.

- Capture One the dual Xeon System is faster, but only around  15-30% debending on many different factors.
- Why would I spend more on a dual Xeon System ? Pretty easy. Panoramics. When using PtGui I rendered three different panoramic in batch mode. Each having around 8-16 IQ180 files.

Here the Xeon System kills the X58 system hands down. The X58 needs 10 minutes and 55seconds for them to finish. The Dual Xeon System does the same job in 4 minutes and 44 seconds.

However, there is one much mor important point why I still would spend so much money on a very expsnive system.

I can do many things at once. Render panoramics, process raw files and still Photoshop feels great. Fast and responsive. I can't say that with the X58, which feels more like it wants to quite any second.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

I would not recomend Mountain Mods, I don't find the quality to good. I would suggest ( http://www.overclock.net/case-labs/ ) I think they offer some amazing options and cases. Yes they are expsnive but very well made. )

Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 08:44:30 am »

Have you tested the OCZ RevoDrive 3 for yourself ? I haven't but I heared it is great but as system drive you will not be able to see any real difference between it and a lot cheaper SSD. (Sure you see it in benches, but that doesn't matter really)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 01:04:08 pm »

Have you tested the OCZ RevoDrive 3 for yourself ? I haven't but I heared it is great but as system drive you will not be able to see any real difference between it and a lot cheaper SSD. (Sure you see it in benches, but that doesn't matter really)
I currently have a OCZ Revodrive original.. and yes, you can feel a huge difference over the C300's or Vertex 3's on a SATA III port.  I've read testers who say what you said, but I just can't agree.  Everything is noticeably faster.  I can only hope the Revo 3x2 at three times the speed will be even better.. we'll see.  They're down to $559 now for a 240gb version and I'll be ordering one for my own workstation next week.  I'll also be ordering one of their new 1tb Hybrid Revo's to just for my LR indexex/previews..

Christopher

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 04:16:14 am »

I know you probably have lot to do, but I would really be intersted in some comparsions tests or user experiences. I am always looking to make my system even faster, but only for sepcifc tasks. For example I dont give a **** about boot time. I don't care if it takes 15 or 25 seconds.

I mean on here everything feels instant . Progam loading times are amazing my LR catalouge is quite fast. SO I would be interested how you feel or see the differences.

Thx
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 10:46:46 pm »

Take a look at http://ppbm5.com/

Although application specific, the the results bear out some trends:

Cores - Amdahl's Law is clearly beginning to take effect - more cores aren't a guarantee of better individual application performance
Memory - Obviously, more is better, but access times are crucial - it's amazing how much time CPU is simply waiting.....  The perfect computer would either be at 100% CPU utilization or 0.
Disk Access - Crucial, but not the deciding factor in many situations.

Like you, i could care less about boot times, etc - whats more important is determine what is the system/application waiting for?  Adobe is taking a fascinating approach by embracing the CUDA cores that nVidia offer in their display cards.  It's an elegant approach that nicely circumvents Amdahl's Law - I wonder how soon others will embrace this?

Farmer

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 12:40:39 am »

Adobe is taking a fascinating approach by embracing the CUDA cores that nVidia offer in their display cards.  It's an elegant approach that nicely circumvents Amdahl's Law - I wonder how soon others will embrace this?

When they started doing this, it reminded me of the old days of adding a maths co-processor :-)
Phil Brown

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 09:03:19 pm »

I know you probably have lot to do, but I would really be intersted in some comparsions tests or user experiences. I am always looking to make my system even faster, but only for sepcifc tasks. For example I dont give a **** about boot time. I don't care if it takes 15 or 25 seconds.

I mean on here everything feels instant . Progam loading times are amazing my LR catalouge is quite fast. SO I would be interested how you feel or see the differences.

Thx

Actually, this is part of what I have to do.. :)  So I'll share my results.  Boot time interests me to a degree, but what I'm really hoping for is to see decreased overall wait times for everything I do, including the programs my caches serve.

I have a Crucial C300 in a faster computer than I have an original Revo in.. the C300 is not a slow SSD, but the slower computer with the Revo feels faster.. significantly faster.  Hopefully the Revo3x2 will be even better, and hopefully their Revohybrid will really serve my LR indexes/previews much better..

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 09:09:34 pm »

Adobe is taking a fascinating approach by embracing the CUDA cores that nVidia offer in their display cards.  It's an elegant approach that nicely circumvents Amdahl's Law - I wonder how soon others will embrace this?

I think it's worth noticing that Adobe is supporting the CUDA's to such as extent.  Kinda curious too, we're at 2 PA301w's vs. 3 which to me is still overkill.. but now we can look at the Nvidia dual GPU card.  And since half of his use is Adobe Premier will all thos extra CUDA cores translate to decreased task times?

Building another system, you might know this answer.  A day trader contacted me to build a several systems that all support 8+ monitors.  The V9800's are outside his budget at $3300.. so thinking of the ATI Eyefinity 6 with a bevy of Dell panels that support DP and S-IPS because with 8 monitors your viewing angles will be crowded.  Do you know if two of the Eyefinity 6 cards can co-exist and provide a total of 12 video outs?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up