Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preparation In Landscape Photography - Part 2  (Read 3165 times)

dreed

Preparation In Landscape Photography - Part 2
« on: August 27, 2011, 05:27:48 pm »

Cloth for cleaning glass.

Can anyone recommend some that *doesn't* leave behind fibre?

I've supposedly bought those that don't and they do.

I've bought lens cleaning paper that I need to clean up after.

The only thing that doesn't need cleaning up after is pocket rockets but they're no good for cleaning up drops of water from mist, blowing dust, accidental finger prints, etc.

Whilst I think of it, is there anything special about the liquid sold in small bottles for cleaning the front of lenses or can I just fill them up with Windex or similar?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: Preparation In Landscape Photography - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 05:42:30 pm »

Microfibre cloth. Most camera retailers and opticians sell it. You can wash it and re-use it. If it has been stitched around the edge be careful not to let the the stitching touch the lens. Use the blower first.
DON'T USE WINDEX OR SIMILAR!!!!!!!!!!

dreed

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 06:32:38 pm »

Microfibre cloth. Most camera retailers and opticians sell it. You can wash it and re-use it.

One of the microfibre cloths that I have bought came from Keeble and Schutat (well respected photography store in SFBA) and it's no better than a regular cotton cloth.

Why not?

mdemartini

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:15:01 pm »

Microdear. This is my third microfiber cloth and favorite by far. It's worth the extra cost and is big! http://www.adorama.com/CPCML.html

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:34:11 pm »

Singh-Ray makes an excellent cleaner and microfibre cloth -

http://www.singh-ray.com/rayvu.html

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 10:29:55 pm »

One of the microfibre cloths that I have bought came from Keeble and Schutat (well respected photography store in SFBA) and it's no better than a regular cotton cloth.

Why not?

If you've spilled pasta over your glass you may need to look at a propriety lens cleaner. I think Kodak make one. One drop is usually plenty. Otherwise you may end up with hard to remove smudges. Last time I used Windex on my car's windscreen I spent half an hour trying to get rid of the smudges that only became visible when driving into the sun.
A good quality microfibre cloth is gentler and almost always enough. I'd try a lens pen on difficult small spots or breathing on the glass before reaching for the nuclear option. Your breath is probably closer to pure water.
A good lens is a major investment. For day to day shooting I leave a good quality UV filter on the front to take the daily grime, and replace it every few years. Sometimes I want to ensure I'm getting the best possible capture, so okay, it comes off with the lens cap but goes back on again immediately I've finished. These lenses are clean and never need wiping.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 04:46:09 am »

Hello,

Zeiss offers a great kit with a brush, a liquid, a special cloth, and little wet tissues which are packed in a single sleeve all packed in a little bag. I could remove all kinds of dust and grease from my lenses with the help of this kit.

But, a stupid question :

Where is Part I of this review ? I've been searching for a while, but can't find it.

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

dreed

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 04:52:32 pm »

If you've spilled pasta over your glass you may need to look at a propriety lens cleaner. I think Kodak make one. One drop is usually plenty. Otherwise you may end up with hard to remove smudges. Last time I used Windex on my car's windscreen I spent half an hour trying to get rid of the smudges that only became visible when driving into the sun.

Even with "lens cleaning fluid", it is always a case of needing to clean the cleaner fluid off and if you do it whilst everything is still wet, you don't end up with smudges like you did - which, to the best of my knowledge, can happen with any cleaning fluid

A good quality microfibre cloth is gentler and almost always enough. I'd try a lens pen on difficult small spots or breathing on the glass before reaching for the nuclear option.

Thanks for the tip on the lens pen, I'll pick one of those up and see how it goes.

Your breath is probably closer to pure water.

Get a petri dish, open it, breath on it, seal it up for a few days and let me know what happens..

There's all types of garbage in your breath, least of which is this morning's coffee!

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 08:15:43 pm »

Use your  handkerchief.  Just don't use it if you blow your nose.

If you have black one better, then you will know if you blow your nose or not.

Good look
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Bill Koenig

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 03:23:28 pm »

Why not?

Windex contains ammonia, ammonia is a reactive substance, your lens has multiple  coatings to reduce flare, ect.
So what happens if the ammonia reacts with the multiple coatings on the lens surface? Well, no more multiple coatings.
The bottom line is, they make better cleaners to do this job, so if I were you, I wouldn't use ammonia as a lens cleaning solution.

BTW, cleaning a computer monitor with ammonia will ruin its coating, I've see it happen to a friend of mine.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:25:52 pm by Bill Koenig »
Bill Koenig,

dreed

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 08:57:38 pm »

Why not?
--------
Windex contains ammonia, ammonia is a reactive substance, your lens has multiple  coatings to reduce flare, ect.
So what happens if the ammonia reacts with the multiple coatings on the lens surface? Well, no more multiple coatings.
The bottom line is, they make better cleaners to do this job, so if I were you, I wouldn't use ammonia as a lens cleaning solution.

BTW, cleaning a computer monitor with ammonia will ruin its coating, I've see it happen to a friend of mine.

Good information!

It would seem that most lens cleaning solutions are alcohol based.

For further reading:
Bob Atkins - Lens Filter Cleaning

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 09:04:23 am »

Do as David suggests.

I only clean my lenses once, when I first purchase them. I use my breath and a lenspen after blowing all the loose crap off with a rocket blower. For really stubborn ones, I will resort to Zeiss cleaning fluid and a microfibre cloth.

After that, they are always used with a high quality UV filter attached. So the lens never needs cleaning again, just a quick puff with the blower once in a while.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an
Pages: [1]   Go Up