Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S2 Undocumented New Firmware feature.  (Read 1237 times)

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
Leica S2 Undocumented New Firmware feature.
« on: August 27, 2011, 12:00:01 am »

In my article about using the S2 as a travel camera I made the observation that I'd like to be able to operate the exposure compensation without taking my eye from the viewfinder when I'm in the auto-exposure modes.

Well, it seems that the latest firmware upgrade (1.0.1.8) added something that helps in this direction. If you trigger the exp comp menu (best accessed via a long-pressing a custom rear button such as the top right one), then rotating the control wheel not only selects the compensation amount on the rear LCD screen but now displays this in the viewfinder too. Furthermore, you don't need to confirm the setting by clicking the wheel anymore - a step I always felt was unnecessary.

So, with your eye to the viewfinder, it's now easy to long-press the rear button with your thumb to access the exp comp menu and then set the amount with the wheel. It's much quicker than before and I congratulate Leica for not only listening to feedback, but actually acting on it.

This feature does not appear in the instructions that come with the downloaded firmware files so I thought those S2 users out there might be interested to find this out. Thanks to Stephan Schulz at Leica for pointing this feature out to me.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica
Pages: [1]   Go Up