Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alexandra  (Read 3354 times)

Andres Bonilla

Alexandra
« on: August 26, 2011, 04:16:46 pm »

I took a photo of my niece yesterday with the intention of converting it on a drawing, I did not want the can filter look; so I used my tablet, Painter 8 and CS2. I posted both images to hear your comments.

Thanks for viewing.

Andres

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: Alexandra
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 04:34:03 pm »

Nice touch with conversion via your methods. Doesn't look like any filter effect at all. To be very , very, very picky, the only slight, miniscule, my-taste-only comment is the eyes seem to be a touch more photographic. Maybe it's due to a bit more contrast than the other areas.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 05:26:03 pm »

Thanks for your comment! Yes when converting a photo it is difficult to keep a balance between photograph and a drawing, you don't want to alter it too much that it looses all kind of character and the portrait becomes a digital mess, you don't want to make it to perfect that it becomes a black and white photo with some cheesy alteration. I did emphazise her eyes since most of the portrait is very soft.

Thanks!

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:24:28 am »

Nice effort, but I had to come back several times as something was bugging me on this.

Finally saw it, the drawing doesn't have her cheeks accentuated as in the photo, and that gives the face a different character.
pieter, aka pegelli

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:31:44 am »

Sorry Andres, but the real eyes and lips in a drawing-esque type image, looks a bit creepy to me.

But anyhow, why would you want to turn her into a drawing in the first place, she is beautiful as she is. I would throw some nice soft afternoon light onto her face, perhaps as she is sat in the light from a window and take some close up profile shots of her looking out wistfully.

So put away your pencil/tablet and concentrate on taking some stunning portrait shots instead.

Dave (UK)

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 12:34:42 pm »

Nice effort, but I had to come back several times as something was bugging me on this.

Finally saw it, the drawing doesn't have her cheeks accentuated as in the photo, and that gives the face a different character.

Yes! Someone else also noticed that! I also was wondering why she looked a little plumper than in the photo; the cheeks were really important for her expression. Now I am adding more detail on the print with an actual pencil and charcoal so I will draw the checks.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 12:54:37 pm »

Sorry Andres, but the real eyes and lips in a drawing-esque type image, looks a bit creepy to me.

But anyhow, why would you want to turn her into a drawing in the first place, she is beautiful as she is. I would throw some nice soft afternoon light onto her face, perhaps as she is sat in the light from a window and take some close up profile shots of her looking out wistfully.

So put away your pencil/tablet and concentrate on taking some stunning portrait shots instead.

Dave (UK)

Thanks for the comment Dave!  Wow the eternal question of why someone made a particular choice on a photograph; why black and white, why infrared, why the props on the model, Why on earth HDR!!! It all comes down to taste and exploration of your work. I know photographers that think that David hill, Andrzej Dragan and Dimitri Depaepe are the antichrist….I find them incredible talented. There are millions of perfectly exposed and technically accurate photos of nature out there, they leave me cold but I find the work of Peter Lik marvelous. Probably you would hate his work as it is heavy manipulated.

Your suggestion as nice as it is, has been done by me and 4000 photographers daily; I am not implying that it is a bad thing I love soft window lighting on a subject anytime! But sometimes you got to explore other approaches even if they come out not perfect as this one. Otherwise, at least to me, the photographic world would be tremendously boring.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 11:04:18 am »

I find the work of Peter Lik marvelous. Probably you would hate his work as it is heavy manipulated.

I  wasn't commenting in any way about your PP abilities by intimating it wasn't very good because I thought it was heavily manipulated. I said that I thought it looked creepy. If sticking real and eyes and lips onto what is supposed to be a sheet of paper with a drawing on it does not strike you as being in anyway creepy, then go with it. But also, if you put it up here for critique, then expect me to honestly and genuinely do just that, and the only word that comes to my mind when I look at it is 'creepy'.

But sometimes you got to explore other approaches even if they come out not perfect as this one. Otherwise, at least to me, the photographic world would be tremendously boring.

Yes, by all means explore new ideas and concepts, but also you cannot assume that by doing so you are automatically going to find that the world likes what you are doing, simply because it is supposed to be new and then get upset if someon tells you it looks creepy.  ;D

Dave (UK)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:10:41 am by Dave (UK) »

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 11:48:28 am »

I  wasn't commenting in any way about your PP abilities by intimating it wasn't very good because I thought it was heavily manipulated. I said that I thought it looked creepy. If sticking real and eyes and lips onto what is supposed to be a sheet of paper with a drawing on it does not strike you as being in anyway creepy, then go with it. But also, if you put it up here for critique, then expect me to honestly and genuinely do just that, and the only word that comes to my mind when I look at it is 'creepy'.

Yes, by all means explore new ideas and concepts, but also you cannot assume that by doing so you are automatically going to find that the world likes what you are doing, simply because it is supposed to be new and then get upset if someon tells you it looks creepy.  ;D

Dave (UK)

Well Dave the only one that seems defensive and a tad antagonistic is you; I have never try to impose my style on any one, I was merely trying to explain the *why* I chose the approach on the photograph. Where on my post do I sound upset or certain that it would be liked? I have been posting hundreds of photographs in this and many other photographic forums, so the “you should have a thicker skin” is silly. Did I mention anywhere that your adjective “creepy” was bothering me? Different folks different strokes, you may find my technique creepy and just a matter of sticking eyes and mouth on a sheet of paper on the other hand I have been asked to share my technique on several occasions on other forums. Does it make my work perfect? Of course not! You are more than welcome in being “genuine” but the old and tired cliché of “What were you expecting …praise???” Does not apply to me. or any of my posts. Critique all you want but don’t assume my intent.

tq-g

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 12:11:09 pm »

I would like to offer some, hopefully, constructive criticisms.

* Her forehead needs more definition. Put your hand over your own forehead and notice how rounded it actually is. In the drawing it looks too flat. You need a tad bit more shadow as the form turns.
* The corners of the mouth should always be darker than the rest. You have the same value across the whole split in the lips.
* Think of the whole mouth area as a spherical shape. Sublte value changes towards the cheeks should help giving it a little more volume.
* Some of the outlines are too sharp, especially on the left side(her right). I suggest letting her hair frame the face.
* Outlines are too flat. They only accentuate contour. Good outlines describe form. Try googling "lost and found lines", and look at artwork from Ingress.
* Her nose could use a little more form shadow. Especially at the nose bridge.
* Put some more shadow around the temples. Not necessarily darker, but a larger area in shadow. Look at the photo for reference and pay attention to the zygomatic arch, especially how soft and round the shape is on her.
* Her neck could use a little more form shadow. Just a subtle touch since the point is not to draw attention there. Also put a little suggestion of her clavicles.

As a final note I think you've chosen a very difficult subject. The light is so flat and comes from every direction. It's similar, though not as bad, as making drawings from model photos - which forces you to squint until you get a headache. To make it a little easier you can try blurring the photo slightly.

I hope this was helpful to you. :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:13:22 pm by tq-g »

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 12:15:48 pm »

I would like to offer some, hopefully, constructive criticisms.

* Her forehead needs more definition. Put your hand over your own forehead and notice how rounded it actually is. In the drawing it looks too flat. You need a tad bit more shadow as the form turns.
* The corners of the mouth should always be darker than the rest. You have the same value across the whole split in the lips.
* Think of the whole mouth area as a spherical shape. Sublte value changes towards the cheeks should help giving it a little more volume.
* Some of the outlines are too sharp, especially on the left side(her right). I suggest letting her hair frame the face.
* Outlines are too flat. They only accentuate contour. Good outlines describe form. Try googling "lost and found lines", and look at artwork from Ingress.
* Her nose could use a little more form shadow. Especially at the nose bridge.
* Put some more shadow around the temples. Not necessarily darker, but a larger area in shadow. Look at the photo for reference and pay attention to the zygomatic arch, especially how soft and round the shape is on her.
* Her neck could use a little more form shadow. Just a subtle touch since the point is not to draw attention there. Also put a little suggestion of her clavicles.

As a final note I think you've chosen a very difficult subject. The light is so flat and comes from every direction. It's similar, though not as bad, as making drawings from model photos - which forces you to squint until you get a headache. To make it a little easier you can try blurring the photo slightly.

I hope this was helpful to you. :)

Wow! Lots of great tips, thanks! I will revise the digital drawing and apply your suggestions, thanks!!

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 02:49:18 pm »

Well Dave the only one that seems defensive and a tad antagonistic is you;

Hardly, if complimenting your niece by saying she is beautiful is being antagonistic, I shall have to look up the word 'beautiful' in the dictionary as I am obviously using the wrong terminology.

I have been posting hundreds of photographs in this and many other photographic forums, so the “you should have a thicker skin” is silly.

So now I am being 'Silly' as well as 'defensive and a tad antagonistic'.  :o

You need to calm down Andres - I have now done with this thread and will not comment or look at it further.

Dave (UK)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:01:27 pm by Dave (UK) »

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 10:12:02 pm »

Hardly, if complimenting your niece by saying she is beautiful is being antagonistic, I shall have to look up the word 'beautiful' in the dictionary as I am obviously using the wrong terminology.

So now I am being 'Silly' as well as 'defensive and a tad antagonistic'.  :o

You need to calm down Andres - I have now done with this thread and will not comment or look at it further.

Dave (UK)

Ahh the childish sarcams, your are funny actually, good day.
Andres ( Sunny, California)
Pages: [1]   Go Up