Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H4D: lens error  (Read 6053 times)

evgeny

H4D: lens error
« on: August 26, 2011, 01:17:25 pm »

I get some "Lens error" messages sometimes. I think the camera stops after approx 150-200 captures. I turn the camera off, remove battery, attach the battery back to the camera, power the camera, and continue to shoot.

1. I purchased the H4D-40 camera and lenses new about a month ago from a dealer.
1. I installed the latest firmwares in the camera and in the digital back.
2. I shoot in studio. I use True Focus button to capture a still model, then release the shutter. The lens is - a very sharp 100mm f2.2, I like it and use almost all the time.

Is this a firmware bag or something else?

PS: I will call the dealer, but I will be glad to know what others say, too.

Regards
Evgeny

robert zimmerman

Re: H4D: lens error
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:40:56 pm »

I had lens errors on every HC lens I owned, except the 80mm.
the lenses would freeze up and stay frozen. they had to repair/replace the shutters.
be prepared for the worst and have them checked.

evgeny

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 03:43:12 pm »

Robert, how can I see the number of activations of the lens shutter?

design_freak

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 06:25:31 pm »

Robert, how can I see the number of activations of the lens shutter?

It's simple:
Go to menu =>Setings => System Status => Push twice next and you will get this information :)

Best regards,
DF

evgeny

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 06:59:38 pm »

My lens has 1108 activations, and the body has 1179. It's not a high number, yet.

design_freak

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 02:56:16 am »

My lens has 1108 activations, and the body has 1179. It's not a high number, yet.

Clean the pins on the camera and the connection on the lens. Sometimes they must be degreased. Is there is a specific error code other than "LENS ERROR"?

Best regards,
DF

evgeny

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 03:51:42 am »

I don't remember the code. May be 1203, I'm not sure. I will take attention to the code next time.

gigdagefg

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 09:01:01 am »

I had the issue on my H4D50. My dealer reloaded all the camera software and the issue disappeared

Stanley

design_freak

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 07:31:44 am »

I had the issue on my H4D50. My dealer reloaded all the camera software and the issue disappeared

Stanley

You can do it yourself ... Just log on and download the latest software. Connect the camera to the computer and run Phocus, then File => Firmware update, specify the appropriate file and follow the prompts.
Best regards,
DF

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 12:46:21 pm »

Relative to lens errors, the top diagnostics are:
  • Remove the lens, inspect the electrical contacts and clean with alcohol swab (or clean cloth), reattach;
  • Confirm the shutter is open and not closed;
  • Verify battery grip is fully charged - a slow shutter and louder than normal mirror movement is a sign of low energy;
  • Confirm "sensor" (R361) firmware and "camera body" (2.2.4) firmware versions for your H4D-40;
    Hold down the backliight button on the LCD Grip menu for a fast shortcut to see your installed versions

Both of these can be downloaded from Hasselblad website - it requires email and registration for access; takes just a minute though.

If this was a dealer demo unit, the full warranty applies to the kit - in certain situations, the length of time a dealer has the demo unit can consume some of the warranty, a quick check with Hasselblad USA providing your serial number will identify the warranty coverage.

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 02:50:42 pm »

I get some "Lens error" messages sometimes. I think the camera stops after approx 150-200 captures. I turn the camera off, remove battery, attach the battery back to the camera, power the camera, and continue to shoot.

1. I purchased the H4D-40 camera and lenses new about a month ago from a dealer.
1. I installed the latest firmwares in the camera and in the digital back.
2. I shoot in studio. I use True Focus button to capture a still model, then release the shutter. The lens is - a very sharp 100mm f2.2, I like it and use almost all the time.

Is this a firmware bag or something else?

PS: I will call the dealer, but I will be glad to know what others say, too.

Regards
Evgeny

Hi,

we had the same issue with one lens/camera combination. The lens worked flawlessly with three other bodies we tried so we initially suspected a body failure. In the end it turned out to be the shutter unit of the lens that was changed through Hasselblad without any charge. That was on a lens that was bought "new old stock", been in use for about a year and we did not expect it to be under warranty. I don´t know where you are located, we found those Hasselblad guys here very helpful, so I´d suggest to send your body/lens combination for check up. Your camera should work without any trouble, especially with that low number of actuations.
I don´t know why so many people advise cleaning contacts, that NEVER helped a single issue for us (keep your equipment clean with cap etc and avoid touching the contacts, my 2ct)
Hope you´re still under warranty, good luck!

Cheers, Ulf

evgeny

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 06:30:44 pm »

Ulf, thanks.

What is "new old stock"? Is it was a demo unit? Can dealer set the counter of activations in lens OR camera body to 0, and then sell the lens/body as "new"?

Thanks
Evgeny

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 05:00:14 am »

Ulf, thanks.

What is "new old stock"? Is it was a demo unit? Can dealer set the counter of activations in lens OR camera body to 0, and then sell the lens/body as "new"?

Thanks
Evgeny

Hi Evgeny,

two years ago we had a body failure on the first production day of a fashion story and had to use our spare body from the first day on. To have a backup for future events we decided to buy an additional spare body as soon as possible and found a complete H1 set (including lens and film back) that was collecting dust over the years, so that´s what I ment with new old stock, no demo unit. (We are using H bodies with third party digital backs) I do not know if a dealer is able to reset a counter, even in case he would be able to (which I don´t think he is) I would not expect a professional dealer to risk loosing the trust of his customer by doing so. If I remember correctly the number of actuations of the lens came down to only a few test actuations with the shutter unit replacement, which seems reasonable to me.

Cheers, Ulf

design_freak

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 06:42:50 am »

Ulf, thanks.

Thanks
Evgeny

Dealer can not reset the counter. This is not possible. 
Best regards,
DF

evgeny

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 11:37:30 am »

Well, I hope nothing wrong with the lens. I come to conclusion that the "lens error" message may appear if I occasionally touch the lens release button while shooting.
Next time, if the "lens error" message occur, I will photograph the camera display and send the picture to dealer. They will look at the error code and tell me exactly what could cause the error.

I have another question and will post it in a separate thread. :)

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 06:28:57 am »

Hi Evegeny,

Its very important to note the error code as you say.  Then there is a much better chance of tracing it.  ;)

Let us know how you get on.

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager
Pages: [1]   Go Up