Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9890 vs 9900. comparison pls...  (Read 2543 times)

Sunny Alan

Epson 9890 vs 9900. comparison pls...
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:33:58 pm »

Im planning to buy one: confused which?

Epson India says 9890 is best, latest with few new features.

But I found very few supporting RIPs, especially for printing B&W film positives, not even Cadlink.

Many support 9900 !
Is it just because 9890 is new, software are not yet written ready?

What exactly are the features on the better side?

Kindly elaborate... :-[

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Epson 9890 vs 9900. comparison pls...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »

The 9900 has two additional inks, orange and green .  All other inks are the same, and other than the additional nozzles for the two extra colors the machines are the same.  The 9900 will have  more gamut, but both produce outstanding results for photographic work.  The extra inks are very helpful to those doing proofing services to reproduce more artificial colors, but less beneficial for photographic images (although some might benefit but differences would be very subtle and only noticeable when compared side by side).

The 9890 is newer so it could be some RIPS don't support it yet.

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:00:22 pm »

Tyler did some great profiles for my 8300 and my HP recently. We compared the gamut of his 9900, my 8300, and my HP Z3100. My HP held up quite well against the Canon with matte media. The Canon has a slight edge in some of the darker coolish hues compared to the 9900 and the HP Z. However, overall the 9900's gamut is supreme in most of the obvious hues when viewed in Color Think. So like he just said if you need the absolute best gamut for proofing services, ad work, and such and moving close to what we had with dyes, the 9900 HDR inks are out front. We still need to see how the Canon inks pan out in long term fade tests though. In that regard it appears to have a jump on the HDR inks, but no where close to what the HP Vivera inks show.

john

davidh202

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:50:26 pm »

I agree with what Wayne has said.
I have replaced all the original carts on my 7900 except for the Orange and Green which still show levels at least half of what I started with a year ago after the initial ink loading.
This clearly says to me that in my photographic use the Orange and Green are hardly being used.
Knowing this, after the fact, if I were to buy the larger machine today I would definately go with thw 9890 instead of the 9900 for photographic use and save the difference in cost toward a replacement Ink Set

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up