Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ordering Epson 7900! Paper suggestions?  (Read 1881 times)

philipkenney

Ordering Epson 7900! Paper suggestions?
« on: August 22, 2011, 09:42:19 am »

Hi all! I'm about to order my first large format printer with the epson 7900 while these rebates are going on. Looking at getting it from dtgweb.com since they seem to have a good report here. I was wondering if anyone had paper suggestions. Looking for a fine art matte, a lustre, and a canvas. I'll definitely be trying out Epson's papers just to see if they play well with their printers (various lustres and hot press matte). Also looking at hahnemuhle and canson just for their reputation and possibly ilford gold silk. Anything I'm missing that you all would suggest?

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: Ordering Epson 7900! Paper suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:23:35 pm »

Ilford Gold Silk works very well with this printer if you have a custom profile. The profile Ilford supplies for the 7900 was less than satisfactory for me. The profiles Epson supplies with the 7900 for Epson papers were pretty much dead accurate in my case.
- Dean

macawmatt

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 12:49:09 pm »

In the same boat, got our iPF8300 in Friday and looking at different medias to use.

philipkenney

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:36:33 pm »

Dean,

Would you suggest building my own profile or hiring that out or a RIP? How did you get your custom profile? I have no problem making my own but if other people can already do a great job then its one less thing to have to learn this early in the game being a newbie.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 04:00:57 pm »

I don't use a RIP. Of course as long as you get an accurate profile it doesn't matter where it comes from. If you're new to both profile making and large format printing it might be easier start out with one of the Epson papers using their supplied profile. If not "dead on" it'll be pretty darn good. Get to know the printer and then print a couple of color test images. I usually prefer ones that contain a Macbeth color checker for reference (assuming you have one of these) and some skin tones in addition to other things. There are many of these on the 'Net, and good tutorials at http://digitaldog.net/ and http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/test_images.html. Once you do that you can make your own profile for the same paper check it using the same test image. If it's equal to or better than the supplied profile you'll know you're on the right track and can continue on with other papers. Or, if you're going to settle on a just a few papers, say cool and warm in a gloss (or semi) and mat, you might be better off just getting profiles made. It really depends on what you want to do and the variety of papers you plan to use.

I've experimented with quite a few papers but have settled on just a few because you tend to need different matting materials with each due to the different paper colors. FWIW I've been using Ilford GFS, Epson EEF, and the Epson hot press natural and bright, and Museo Portfolio Rag. EEF had some quality issues (dark specks) that caused some sheets to be tossed, but IMO if you have an image that needs a "bright" paper it makes a print that's to die for. Yes, it has OBAs but you'll have to weigh the costs/benefits of that for yourself. I haven't used any canvas and don't intend to, so I can't be of any help there. I hope this helps, and have fun with the new printer!
- Dean

davidh202

Re: Damn the OBAs...
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 08:18:51 pm »

Full speed ahead with Exhibition Fiber...
I am producing stunning B&W and color prints with it on my 7900 !

I just got through printing up some files on 2 sample packs (2- 8 1/2 x 11 each)of the Epson Cold and Hot Press, Natural and Bright White Fine Art papers, and am in LUV with that too .Perfect for certain types of more 'artsy' images.
All Epson profiles working very well. Developed and PPd in ACR/ CS5,and printing through Qimage Ult.
Get some sample paks and once you find papers you like buy them in 24" rolls if available. No need to stock a bunch of different sizes that way,Unless you have need for one specific size.

Sven W

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 03:10:25 am »

HereĀ“s my top ten:
Baryta/Fiber
Canson Baryta, Harman Gloss, Epson Exhibition
Fine Art
Epson Hot Press Natural, Canson Rag Photographique and Arches Velin Museum
Luster / Semi
Epson Luster and Semigloss
Canvas
Canson Artist Matte and Gloss

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

philipkenney

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 08:37:46 am »

My hope honestly is that I like the Epson papers so that I have excellent profiles. I went to a trade show where Epson had a booth and I was extremely impressed with the papers - that is one of the main reasons why I decided to get a printer because I wasn't getting the high quality papers and performance. I got samples of hahnemuhle, canson, and gold fibre silk. Epson papers are coming as well. I remember liking the hot press and exhibition fiber. Just wish exhibition fiber was a little cheaper. If Gold fibre silk gets really close (obviously not as bright) then I may go with that.

It's all up in the air, but I made my first print yesterday on the 7900 and it looked great even on the crappy paper Epson shipped it with. Excited about this new journey and I'm glad I found a community like this to help me get through it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up