Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Santa Fe and south  (Read 3970 times)

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
Santa Fe and south
« on: April 18, 2004, 07:18:36 am »

Not a location per se, but check out what classes the Santa Fe Workshops (http://www.santafeworkshops.com) might be having then -- excellent program, in a great location.

pathfinder

• http://www.pathfinder.smugmug.com
Santa Fe and south
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 10:13:10 pm »

What kind of subjects are you interested in?  Art works, native American culture, landscapes, street scenes? They are all in northern New Mexico.  
    You can spend two weeks in Santa Fe itself wandering through art galleries - Santa Fe can be crowded with tourists at times.  
    I usually stay in Taos at the Inn of the American Artists or Casa de Chimineas.  Both lovely places,with excellent hosts. Less crowds, less congestion.
    Don't miss driving into the Rio Grande Gorge. Ask the locals where to find the John Dunne bridge. Do not go to the John Dunne bridge if you are afraid of narrow dirt roads on the edge of a gorge...
    If you are lucky - and the winds lie down - the balloonists in Taos will take you down the gorge in a hot air balloon. A great way to see the Rio Grande gorge and to photograph it.  Landings are interesting too.  If you survive ( I did ) they will treat you to champange..
    You will want to shoot the  ST Francis of Assisi in Rancho de Taos. Ansel Adams did.  Shoot early or late for great shadows.
   Spend some time in the city market on Saturday morning when the natives sell their silver work.
   Drive over to the Brazos cliffs on NM 64 between Tierra Amarilla and Tres Piedres late in the afternoon.  This road is frequently closed by snow in the winter. A sports car will be more fun on this road than a mini van..... I ususally use a motorcycle.
   Drive up to Ski Taos ski area and look around for interesting  murals.  Or go east of Raton to the Caupulin Nat Monument to walk through the cone of an old volcano.  Continue east on 456 into the Dry Cimmaron River Valley for red rock mesas.
    From Santa Fe drive down NM 14 ( the Turquoise Highway ) to Madrid -  a little village with aspirations of becoming an artists colony.
     Be sure to eat lunch in Chimayo at  Rancho de Chimayo.  This is on the road to Taos via the High Road to Taos from Santa FE.
    And do not miss the drive to Los Alamos - the museum there is interesting as is the drive up to the Mesa.
     These suggestion should keep you busy for a few days.

Be sure and let us see some of your pictures when you return.   A few of mine are at http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/81988

Marco

Santa Fe and south
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 11:08:55 am »

I highly reccomend Three Rivers Petroglyph Site NM, it's very close to White Sands, last year I took some terrific images, I think it's one of the few sites giving visitors such direct access to petroglyphs...this NM is located 17 miles north of Tularosa, or 28 miles south of Carrizozo, on U.S. Highway 54. Turn east at Three Rivers, onto County Road B30, and follow signs for 5 miles on the paved road...
Ciao

Peter McLennan

Santa Fe and south
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 09:29:43 pm »

I'll be travelling solo in a minivan, based out of Santa Fe for two weeks.  Been once to White Sands, twice to the Very Large Array, several times to the northern half of the state.

Looking for locations in S and SE.

TIA,

Peter

jdlevy

Santa Fe and south
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 09:06:44 pm »

Peter,

I second Dan's thoughts about the Workshops, they are top notch.

When are you going to be in Santa Fe. If in the winter, Bosque del Apache is a must. Also, White Sands temperatures are bearable in the winter.

If you have not been to Chaco canyon, that is spectacular but quite hot in the summer and you have to stay in Farmington (unless you are camping in the minivan).

North of Santa Fe is the Chama river wilderness and the area around Ghost Ranch (just above Abique) - Georgia O'Keefe country.

Bandalier National Monument is just west of Santa Fe.

Carlsbad Caverns NP is in the SE of the state.

Canyon de Chelly in Arizona is also within striking distance if you are wandering around from Santa Fe for a few days at a time.

Lots of hiking trails around Santa Fe, as well.
David
 My

Peter McLennan

Santa Fe and south
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 10:51:09 am »

Wow.  A virtual guidebook.  Thanks, pathfinder.  I'll print your post and put it in the camera bag.

I'm wondering about the far south, including Ruidoso and Cloudcroft.  I'll be visiting White Sands in any case.

I'll be in NM the last week of April, first week of May. Pentax 6X7 outfit and Canon S-50.  

thanks for the input!

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up