Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment recommendation for a safari  (Read 2206 times)

metsjets

Equipment recommendation for a safari
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:24:07 am »

Hello -

I was hoping someone could share some advice with me regarding a camera lens.   I am going on a safari in October and I own a Nikon D60 with a 55x200 lens and an 18x55 lens.   I was looking at renting a lens with a bigger zoom and i found out that i am limited in my selection due to my camera not having a motor in it for auto focus capability.  I am pretty much a point and shoot photographer with a lack of knowledge on the tech side of cameras.   I saw this lens: Nikon AF VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED  but am afraid of having to deal with a manual focus and miss out on a potential amazing picture.

I also saw these 2 lenses:

Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR f/4.5-5.6

and

Nikon AF-S VR II 70-200mm f/2.8G

Should I get the 70x300 lens since i already have a 200MM zoom lens?  I believe the f/2.8 will give me a better picture based on my research but is it worth carrying around and not having a bigger zoom capability?  I saw a 300M prime lens but again, the lack of a zoom function might not be what i need.

i'm stuck.

-John

degrub

Re: Equipment recommendation for a safari
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 11:50:16 am »

you might consider a GH2 with the 100-300 as a much easier kit to work with, especially if your history is point and shoot. Look up the several reviews on the website (just this situation - safari )  and extensive threads in the forums.

i recently spent 3 weeks with the family in asia and i was very impressed with it (>5000 frames). AND it is light ! i carried 2 spare batteries, only needed the 3rd on one long day with several hours of movies shot.

i left all my Nikon gear at home. i didn't miss it.

jack03

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:12:35 pm »

Hi.

Just some things I'd consider first:

What are your main subjects? Birds (> 300mm), mammals (singles/herds -> Zoom 70-200), landscape (wide angle), macros (mfd/scale)?
Do you prefer zooms (flexibility, dust) or fix focals (IQ, lens speed)?
How much weight/values do you want to carry?
How much do you want (are you able) to spend?

Tulear

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:51:11 pm »

+1 for GH2.   

Body with kit lens (14-140) and the (100-300).   You are covered for 28-600mm on two lenses and you would barely know you have it around your neck.  All in for about $2K.   Oh, and the opportunity bring superb video into the mix as well.   I am about to head to the desert for a month with mine + a few more lenses.  Having shot with 2 1/4 film for many years and a 5D for some years with all the fast and heavy glass Canon makes,  I can tell you I have not been disappointed with the GH2 and really appreciate making the equipment less a focus of my time in nature, and the capturing and appreciation of that nature  more the point. 

Fast and long ususally = heavy.  You haven't mentioned budget as a criteria so I will leave out + expensive.  Under safari conditions a manageable kit can be as important as the kit itself.  You likely won't want to be doing lens swaps too frequently particularly if wind is up so think hard about what and where before committing to a prime strategy.  As a point and shooter, unless you know from a guide or lead photographer that what you will be shooting is a 300mm constant, man, I'd really be thinking about how many more lenses and weight I am going to need to have to be prepared and how will I manage all that 'stuff' when things start happening.  Read Michaels review of the GH2 and other articles on the site to get their opinions on a GH2 on safari.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:07:06 am »

Another +1 for the GH2 - the other point to make is about back up.  Adding a second GH2 is an economical backup option, and then you can have th 14-140 on one body and the 100-300 on another and maximize shooting flexibility as well as not having to change lenses.

Tulear

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:02:23 am »

Good point on back up.  I cheaped that out with a GF1 that doubles as a big pocket - pocket camera when a less conspicuous body/lens combo is more appropriate - evenings, markets etc.  I don't like a two camera set-up so for me it is an emergency, in a pinch solution.  Personal preference on carrying two systems, it ismgreat formsome...just not my cup of tea.  The 20mm 1.7 is plenty fast for even flashless night shots.  If you go to the two camera dedicated lens set up suggested by Tim Gray, GH2 x 2 would be the best way to go for many reasons.  Better EVF, faster and just the consistent camera to camera ergonomics and GUI would keep things very fluid. 

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:55:21 pm »

Take along sunscreen, insect repellant and some stashed beer- it's frighteningly expensive at the safari lodges. 

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 06:19:26 pm »

Sigma 100-300 f4 + sigma 1.4 tc AND KEEP YOUR GEAR!
Pages: [1]   Go Up