Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colorspan Printmaker FA  (Read 1895 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Colorspan Printmaker FA
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:09:46 am »

I have a chance to buy one of these drum scanners at a give away price and was wondering if it would be worth it? I understand inks are still available for it. I remember when it was first introduced it was winning the print competitions for a few years in a row. Is it fussy like the Iris or easier and more consistent in the results? Avoid it or grab it?
Mike

na goodman

Re: Colorspan Printmaker FA
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:43:36 pm »

So, are you thinking of buying a drum scanner or a wide format Colorspan printer?

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:07:01 am »

Sorry-meant drum printer

na goodman

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:23:12 am »

I still haven't heard that term when referring to a Colorspan. I printed to and maintained one about 6-7 years ago. Heads and cartridges are hp designed. You will have to run it through a rip. Droplet size is nothing compared to today's printers. Grant it, we had a lemon but there is so much more out there today with better quality, longevity of inks an ease of use than that machine.

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:49:22 am »

I would stay away from it.

Our local service bureau ran one for many years. They would have to go in there just about every day and clean out the ink inside the paper transport area. The early HP thermal heads could be quite messy.  I believe they had about 12 channels and produced really great gamut for the time, with orange and blue channels, but the inks were not very permanent that they used and were fairly expensive. It was a very costly unit for it's time, I believe over $30,000.00. The one they had was really big, like 72" I believe. I would consider this printer technology a relic of the past and wouldn't go there for any reason personally considering the quality, speed, and price of what we have available today. I would say if you need a really big printer go for the Epson 11880 used or new.

john

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:34:40 am »

you don't metion the model or age of the printer (pre-2007 and hp takeover?)...however, the colorspan (pre-hp) that i had an opportunity to print from some years ago was a 6'+ monster that used 12 hp-type ink cartridges (6 colors) and printheads that needed constant cleaning. most of the machine's controls were from a small lcd screen...a real pain in the ****.  a technician was on-site fairly regularly to adjust and fix the machine...and yes, we had to use an expensive rip to print. The only pros were the 6-point imprint at the end of a print job that told you how much media was left on the roll, and a take-up roller for large prints. I'd suggest that you do some research for availability of parts and service.

artbot

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:32:05 pm »

that printer would be a bad idea if they gave you the printer, ink, and rip for free.  because you will waste thousands of dollars worth of time trying to make it make you money, competing against better tech.  run for your life.

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:47:17 am »

I was the first person in the SF BAy area to own one of these printers (serial number 13, hmmm!)

It was an ok printer for it's time, easily competing with the more widely known Iris printers. I have two prints from it hanging in my living room right now that I'm still pleased with, but I have no doubt I'd be more pleased with versions off my latest Canon iPF 8300, or any other top of the line printer that has come out in the last ten years. They're maintenance-heavy, lay down so much ink you have to run a forced-air heater in front as it prints (don't get it too hot or you'll melt the tape used to hold the paper on the drum) and don't have the gamut, resolution or longevity of a modern Epson, Canon or HP printer.

Colorspan only sold them for a couple off years. Parts and service are hard to come by. I have fond memories of mine because it got me in to fine art inkjet printing. I would feel as if I had chains around my neck if I had to use one today.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi
Pages: [1]   Go Up