Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom, and Canon DPP, Tethered, Simultaneously?  (Read 2662 times)

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
Lightroom, and Canon DPP, Tethered, Simultaneously?
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:47:39 pm »

Not sure which forum this belongs in!

Before I spend any more time and frustration on this, maybe someone can tell me if this is even possible to do. I want to shoot tethered to Lightroom (as I always do), but I also want to run Canon DPP, with the EOS Tool, so I can get the LiveView up on my laptop screen for critical focusing. The liveView is the ONLY reason I would be using DPP & EOS Tool. The capture would be handled by Lightroom.

So far, I can't seem to run both programs at once without crashing something. Sometimes LR freezes up, sometimes EOS, sometimes the camera seems to flip out...Am I wasting my time here?

Or -- is there another way I can get the liveview off the camera and on to my laptop? The entire point of the exercise is to make it easier for me to focus, particularly when I've got the camera jammed into a corner somewhere and can't get my eye to the viewfinder. I'm open to any solution.

Nigel Johnson

Re: Lightroom, and Canon DPP, Tethered, Simultaneously?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:49:47 am »

I assume you have been using the tethered feature in Lightroom and thus both LR and DPP are trying to talk to the camera, hence the problems. An alternative that should work (I haven't had time to test) is to use DPP to import the files to a drop folder and set LR to watch the folder and automatically import the image (this was how one had to work in earlier versions of LR before tethering was added in v3 and is still the method for cameras that are not directly supported by LR3). This will probably slow down the import to LR but should avoid the conflicts.

If you have the 'Luminous Landscape Guide to Lightroom 2' video tutorial Part 39 'Shooting Tethered 'shows the technique using EOS Capture however I believe it should work with DPP.

I hope this helps,
Nigel

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:20:05 pm »

Nigel,
Thanks. What you describe is exactly what I used to do, prior to LR 3.x. Unfortunately, it seems that LR and DPP don't like to be open at the same time, at least with a camera connected.
I suppose that in those rare instances when I can't physically see the back of the camera, I could just quit LR and launch DPP long enough to focus, then switch back to LR for the capture.

Maybe one day LR will be able to display the live view! Wouldn't that be slick!

eliedinur

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:58:56 am »

I don't understand why you need DPP. EOS Utility is a standalone application that incidentally can be launched from DPP, but it is not a plugin and can be opened independently. Tossing DPP into the mix just eats memory without giving any benefit.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:24:58 pm »

Elied,

I didn't know that...I need to shoot a few test frames tonight, I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes running EOS Utility and LR together. Fingers crossed, thanks for the tip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up