Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logan Total Trimmer or Rotatrim M36  (Read 3607 times)

rmyers

Logan Total Trimmer or Rotatrim M36
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:26:26 pm »

Anyone use one of these?

http://www.logangraphic.com/products/specialty/totaltrimmer.shtml

I need a trimmer to cut canvas to length from rolls, trim photos, and cut photo paper down to smaller size.  If it would cut foam board and gator board as well like this one claims to, that would be a bonus.  If a Rotatrim is better for the canvas and paper, I can continue to cut board by hand with a straight edge and razor like I currently do as I don't cut a lot of it.  The Total Trimmer is $320 delivered. The Rotatrim is $409 delivered.  I would rather spend the extra $89 if it is a better trimmer for canvas and paper.

OSP

Re: Logan Total Trimmer or Rotatrim M36
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 04:29:49 am »

I own a M54 Rotatrim. I would not recommend buying it for any purpose, let alone cutting canvas.
I'm working with the rotatrim for almost a year now, and rarely use it. It cuts thick paper fine, but really chokes when cutting canvas. Since it doesn't come with instructions, I don't know if it is supposed to work with canvas, but my guess it isn't. the head "jumps" out of the track, because the tubes has elasticity, and you can't relay on it for cutting canvas. it is not meant for foam boards at all.

I would also like to hear if someone uses Logan product. It looks great  and the price is good. I've seen the products of Keencut at work, and they seem quite impressive. their price is somewhat high, though.

ftbt

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:45:44 am »

I own a M54 Rotatrim. I would not recommend buying it for any purpose, let alone cutting canvas.
I'm working with the rotatrim for almost a year now, and rarely use it. It cuts thick paper fine, but really chokes when cutting canvas.

Mine did the same thing, brand new right out of the box. I contacted Rotatrim in England and they sent me out a new cutting head and that did the trick.

Nigel Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:08:39 am »

Ori

The following chart on the Rotatrim website shows the materials that can be cut by each model http://www.rotatrim.com/cutting_guide.php and shows that your model should indeed cut canvas (the M54 is a Professional model).

I did note that in Chapter 15 of the 'Luminous Landscape Camera to Print & Screen' tutorial, just published, Michael comments that his Rotatrim (which appears to be a Professional model) cuts only in one direction and has an arrow to show the direction - I wonder if it applies to your trimmer.

I do agree that the lack of instructions is poor.

Regards
Nigel

OSP

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 02:38:59 am »

Mine did the same thing, brand new right out of the box. I contacted Rotatrim in England and they sent me out a new cutting head and that did the trick.
I wish I knew that. I wouldn't expect something out of the box to perform so poorly, so I assumed that's the best it can perform, and now it's too late to ask for a replacement.

I did note that in Chapter 15 of the 'Luminous Landscape Camera to Print & Screen' tutorial, just published, Michael comments that his Rotatrim (which appears to be a Professional model) cuts only in one direction and has an arrow to show the direction - I wonder if it applies to your trimmer.

It does. you can use the cutter swiping from right to left only, though mine doesn't have an arrow on it. still, this is too much hardship to expect from a professional cutter.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:09:35 am by Ori »

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 09:30:52 am »

I've been using an M54 for 6-8 years now (still with the original cutter). It get used constantly and still cuts paper and canvas quite cleanly. I'm very happy with it and would buy another in a heartbeat.

BTW: it does come with instructions, they're printed on a sticker that stuck to the underside of the cutting table.
Pages: [1]   Go Up