Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forever-lasting way of archiving files (or anything else)  (Read 5159 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Forever-lasting way of archiving files (or anything else)
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 06:30:40 pm »

That doesn't add up.

I've had several CD-R failures in less than 5 years of usage. If I was using CD-Rs for backup I'd give them 5-10 years.

Adds up pretty well. I've never had a failure of a Sony or TDK CD or DVD. I have CD-Rs that go back to the early 90's that are in fine shape. But also, in the early 90s some outfits started producing CDs that were pretty crappy. The few failures I've had were with those. If you're having CD failures in less than 5 years either you're buying some pretty bad CDs or you're not storing them or handling them properly.

Interestingly, I was given some early CDs in the middle 80s that were being developed by a local company here in Colorado Springs. These weren't what we see as CDs now and weren't called CDs. Each one was enclosed in a square plastic case that notched into a slot in the read/write device. I experimented with them and finally wrote the manual for the drive. The medium was to sell for about $50 a pop and held about 500 mb, which was a huge amount of storage in those days. Unfortunately, even though they beat Sony and Philips to the draw, the company never was able to get into production -- because of internal politics, as near as I could tell. The advent of the thing we see nowadays as a CD-R would have shut them down anyway. But it was an interesting time.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:56:11 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

degrub

Re: Forever-lasting way of archiving files (or anything else)
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 07:45:14 pm »

It all depended on the dye/reflective layer that was used. There was a Japanese company and Kodak that made very long life CD-r disks using a gold reflective layer. i still have some that are perfect to this day from the 90's. Storage conditions matter as well.

Some of the dyes were horrible for stability and didn't last but a few years.

Frank
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up