Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H4D50 digiback with a tech camera  (Read 5734 times)

Mr. Rib

Hasselblad H4D50 digiback with a tech camera
« on: August 20, 2011, 07:54:03 am »

Does anyone here have experience with using a 50 mp Hasselblad back (from a H4D camera, not H3DII) with a tech camera? The back would be used with Arca Swiss M-line 2 / Rm3D. As far as I know it doesn't have microlenses but I totally don't know what I'd be stepping into as my experience with tech cameras and digibacks is limited to Phase One backs. How is the battery issue solved with H backs on tech cameras? How about the workflow? Any feedback/ real life experience would be appreciated :)

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
Re: Hasselblad H4D50 digiback with a tech camera
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 12:28:59 pm »

do they allow to do that ?the hasselblad mount is patent closed?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:44:51 pm by torchiam »
this is Torchiam and his army vs the world

design_freak

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:23:39 pm »

do they allow to do that ?the hasselblad mount is patent closed?

So they allow ... Is there something strange in that?
Best regards,
DF

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 02:12:19 pm »

Yes, every Hasselblad digital back can be used with a technical camera.

What do you need?
  • Since the H4D-50 is in the H-system (versus the V-system), you will need an H-plate to mount the camera; check with the camera vendor for availability or with Kapture Group to order;
  • Since the H4D supplies power to the digital magazine from the Li-Ion grip on the body, you will need power from either shooting tethered to the computer (power over Firewire) or a battery supply that can provide power over firewire;
  • The flash-sync cables that came with your H4D-50 kit;
  • Reference pages 94-98 in the H4D owners manual (or you can download here)

Note: if shooting tethered from a MacBook, a best practice is to have the Mac plugged into AC power so it will avoid conserving power sent to ports (Firewire) to preserve battery life which often leads to dropped power and data loss.

If you have any questions, I am happy to reply to this thread so others can learn also...

Geez, are we still hearing about the closed Hasselblad story?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:15:49 pm by John.Williams »
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

Mr. Rib

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:37:10 pm »

Thanks for your input John. I'm aware of adapter plates and basic stuff, I wasn't sure about power source when untethered though.. To be more specific what is my research about- can anyone tell me what am I going to miss, moving from P45+ in terms of workflow in tethered mode on a tech camera? Or to simply put it- how's Phocus vs Capture One when shooting on a tech camera?

NROCH

• http://www.rochowski.net
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 07:12:41 pm »

power via firewire or only tethered shooting? sounds like a long route.

stick with the phaseone I would say

cunim

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 09:53:48 am »

Use something like the Tekkeon MP3450i (regulated).  There are lots of similar products but make sure the battery voltage is set with dip switch, and not with a pushbutton you have to reset every time.  Order the battery with a firewire adapter.  Tekkeon has a short cable with a FW400 female on it. 

Get an expresscard adapter (FW800 is faster) for your computer.  Sonnet makes a good item.  The expresscard adapter has a port that accepts the external battery via one of its standard jacks.  Now you have a powered FW800 port for the Blad, that doesn't care about the laptop power issues.

If you are shooting untethered, you can plug the FW400 port from the external battery (use a FW400/800 cable) into the back.  That gives you a power source that lasts for hours.  I actually do this with my P1 back, using the same battery that I used with the Blad.

Really, it is all easy once you get the bits, though you do have an external battery to carry around.  I  usually tape it to a leg of the tripod.

Phocus vs C1, now that's much more complicated.  My own personal opinion is that I hate Phocus and I only dislike C1.  However, Phocus does things that C1 can't.  Functions that I really miss with the Phase platform include being able to control the Rollei LCS and to focus step an H series lens from the computer screen.  C1 has no such capabilities (Phase, are you listening?).  However, C1 does other things better.  What really makes a difference is the user interface on the IQ back.  I find I am shooting untethered much more and that is a big deal.

gigdagefg

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 03:59:36 pm »

image bank is perfect for tech camera. The battery goes in your pocket so that the weight of the camera is not affected-the sony battery is cheap and lasts for hours-tethering the imagebank to camera by a simple cable is a non event-the image from the back with a tech camera is amazing

stanley

vjbelle

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 04:29:42 pm »

Use something like the Tekkeon MP3450i (regulated).  There are lots of similar products but make sure the battery voltage is set with dip switch, and not with a pushbutton you have to reset every time.  Order the battery with a firewire adapter.  Tekkeon has a short cable with a FW400 female on it. 

Didn't know this battery pack existed.  Thanks for posting.  I have been looking for a solution for powering an IQ180 for extended live view situations.  Live view eats up batteries like a hungry lion. 

Victor

gigdagefg

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 04:51:31 pm »

imagebank is a hasselblad feature only

John.Williams

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 04:51:53 pm »

Mr. Rib,

Doug or Steve from CI can comment on the CaptureOne integration, but from the Phocus side of the house, you are controlling the capture while tethered if you have an electronic lens shutter control; otherwise, it is good old fashioned flashsync with manual lens control.

Live video is a real plus when you can open the lens and set your focus (manually) by watching 100% live view tethered - not sure if your application allows for that...

I agree that there are + and - to both control software(s), after all - it ends up being like life :) Depends on your attitude and viewpoint. Can we get it done with the application? Great, let's get on it with then...

Power over Firewire is a freedom thing; you can shoot whatever, whenever to the CF card and it is digital agnostic...liberation is a result of imagination. Don't get caught up in the details - stay creative.

Check out the latest Victor magazine for some inspiration - Tim Hogan has a great spread on shooting on a technical rig...

Have a productive week!

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

gigdagefg

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 05:03:38 pm »

which flash sync with a schneider 43 mm digitar lens (copal shutter) and the H4D50 bach

gigdagefg

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 05:06:46 pm »

which flash sync cable with a schneider 43 mm digitar lens (copal shutter) and the H4D50 back

repeat to correct errors

John.Williams

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 06:51:54 am »

If you have access to the cables that came with the kit;

• look for the PC-to-2.5mm flash-sync cable that will send the capture signal to the digital back; it is a coiled cable about 8" in length without being un-coiled. See it on page 95 of the above PDF...
  • Set the digital magazine to camera type = Schneider or flashsync
  • You should also find a 3.5mm to PC cable to trigger the flashsync for the lights or radio slave in the same pack...

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 08:54:13 am »

I have an extra sync cable if you need one.

gigdagefg

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 11:24:22 am »

Thank you,

I have a cable

Stanley
Pages: [1]   Go Up