Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Lacie 324 monitor is junk after its warranty expires.  (Read 8403 times)

phily25

My Lacie 324 monitor is junk after its warranty expires.
« on: August 20, 2011, 03:35:26 am »

My Lacie 324 has developed a hardware fault and is unusable. It is 5 months out of its warranty and thats the problem.

I have just been notified by Lacie that they only replace monitors under warranty and offer no repair service after!

The support could only offer, I should find a tv repair shop and they could fix it. What rubbish. How are they going to get parts?

Please think carefully about buying a Lacie monitor as I really feel this has performed well under the lifecyle for the cost of the product.

Philip

alanb

Re: My Lacie 324 monitor is junk after its warranty expires.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 02:19:29 pm »

This is an unaccaptable situation at best.  I have had a 324 for 6+ years and it is still performing perfectly.
I have also had a hard drive replaced by Lacie when it was over 8 months out of warranty.
You might try calling Lacic (if you haven't already) as I have found them extremely agreeable.

Best of luck,

Alan

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:40:00 pm »

Is that legal? It isn't in Europe as far as I'm aware...

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »

In many countries it's not. I'm just happy I live in one. Lacie really stinks.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

phily25

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:53:04 am »

Well I live in the UK and I didnt think it was either?

Who can I turn to to find out? Any ideas guys?

Philip

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:49:14 am »

Please think carefully about buying a Lacie monitor as I really feel this has performed well under the lifecyle for the cost of the product.

In the old days, LaCie sold pretty good stuff (keep in mind, they make virtually zip, the just OEM products and pop a label on, maybe build some software which is probably outsourced too). But in the least number of years, their products have not been worthy of the somewhat lower price point they command versus just getting the original manufacturer product (support, warranty and I suspect better build quality). So yes, think carefully about buying Lacie products.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:03:11 am »

How old is the monitor?  Because if it is not that old I think you would still be covered by the fact that goods sold in the UK must be of 'merchantable quality', and this is not limited by the manufacturers guarantee or warranty limits.  I think you would have to go to the retailer because it is their responsibility as they sold you the monitor. It is not the manufacturers responsibility.  If the monitor should not 'reasonably' be expected to fail in the time since purchased, you have a good case against the retailer.  It all depends if it is 17 months old or six years old.

Jim

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 06:02:06 am »

Generally speaking, there are three possible source of faults

- lcd panel itself: in that case, forget it. The only practical option is to change the panel itself.

- power supply: if the monitor doesn't turn on at all, or suddenly shuts down after a few seconds/minutes of use. This is often caused by blown/leaky electrolytic capacitors. Usually can be fixed by "recapping" the power supply board. Warning: working with power supplies, especially on the "hot" side requires some precautions. In most cases, the damage to the capacitor is visible: bulging or open top. After a few years of use, leaky capacitors are the most frequent cause of problem.

- control board: if the mointor displays garbage, flashes, shifts in color, the control board is likely the cause of the problem. Same issue with electrolytic capacitors + issues with solder joints on the controller board components. Heat is the culprit here, especially if the monitor is set up to do the scaling internally. Inspect solder joints. If the controller is a BGA, it may need to be "reflowed" (in lay terms, cooked so that the solder melts and reconnects the dots). Manufacturers provide reflow temperature curves for example here http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an081.pdf but some people have had successes with lighters or candles (not that I recommend that - a controlled hot air gun is better, then a pre-heating table. then an oven.

Any semi competent technician should be able to check those things for you. The problem is whether it is economically viable for them (or you) to do so. I am in the process of fixing one of my 30" monitors and stumbled upon hotglued connectors. They are a pain to remove properly and I'll lose several hours finding a reliable connection replacement. Doesn't matter because it's my monitor, but if I was doing this for a third party, that wouldn't make sense.

mediumcool

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 08:30:17 am »

I used to sell La Cie stuff when a was a Mac consultant; very unhappy when a power supply in a CD burner I had sold failed, just out of warranty.

As a reseller, I asked if I could purchase a new power supply to install (about six years, ago in Australia). The local La Cie office said NO.

Thought more than once about their one-year warranty on hard drives; they would have negotiated a very good deal with OEMs by reducing the warranty cover from three years to one year.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: [1]   Go Up