Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Display Pro and Eizo  (Read 7456 times)

jclacherty

i1Display Pro and Eizo
« on: August 19, 2011, 05:57:33 am »

Does the software that comes with the i1Display Pro calibrate monitors that have hardware calibration like the Eizo ColorEdge range?  Will it work with Eizo's profiling software?

Cheers,
Justin.

trinityss

Re: i1Display Pro and Eizo
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:05:28 am »

Hi Justin,

If you bought the X-rite version (not the OEM version) of the i1Display Pro then it will only work with the iProfiler software.

Kr,

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 11:36:02 am »

Does the software that comes with the i1Display Pro calibrate monitors that have hardware calibration like the Eizo ColorEdge range? 

Maybe. It does support DDC/ci (which for some unbeknownst reason they have decided to call "ADC"... call it "Hardware Calibration" or by its proper name, DDC/ci, don't invent some new TLA for it (three letter acronym)). Unfortunately in my experience their implementation of DDC is very poor at the moment. Specifically, DDC/ci is not the standard one would hope which means that you can't expect a monitor which supports DDC/ci to actually work properly with software that supports it. NEC is a great example of this. They have implemented things in such a way that only their software (Spectraview II, and Spectraview Profiler/BasICColor Display) will work properly with DDC/ci. I have an NEC 2690 and an HP LP3065. The HP does have DDC support but it's a non-standard implementation. i1Profiler erroneously identifies it as a monitor that supports DDC. It proceeds to profile the monitor with DDC support but it never checks to verify if the commands its sending to the monitor are being executed properly. This would be simple to do... send a signal to turn the luminance all the way down, measure it, turn it to 50%, measure it, and then 100% and measure it. There should be some significant differences in luminance there and if there aren't, it should fall back on manual adjustment of luminance.... but it doesn't. What it does instead is... it gives you absolutely no warning and when it sees that the luminance is not changing, it adjusts the luminance in the video LUT. This is wrong on so many levels. If the software has made the decision to adjust the luminance in the video LUT and it started out with DDC/ci it should be fairly obvious that something has failed.

So with that said, I wouldn't recommend it if you want to use it with a monitor that supports DDC/ci. Another side note, my experience with 3rd party apps that use DDC/ci is that they are limited to adjusting luminance and the RGB levels to set white point. All other adjustments are done in the video LUT. If you want to take advantage of applying corrections in the monitor's high resolution monitor LUT, you need to use the manufacturer's software. I don't know if this is a universal truth, but so far this is what I've observed.

Another observation, low cost monitors like the Dell 2410 and Asus PA246Q have some rather severe bugs with their implementation of monitor LUTs. Changing the RGB levels (even on the front panel) away from their factor defaults induces HUGE ∆E errors... we're talking a ∆E of 10 and higher.

Will it work with Eizo's profiling software?

Not at the time. You'll have to ask Eizo if they will be supporting the retail version of the i1 Display Pro. They will most certainly be supporting the i1 Display Pro at some point in time but there is some confusion over whether or not you will be able to buy a retail version of the i1 Display Pro and use it with something like NEC's Spectraview II or Eizo's profiling software.

The i1 Display Pro package has a lot of promise but the software falls short in several areas and for that reason I'm not recommending it. If you have an Eizo or an NEC, get the manufacturer's software and puck. If you have a monitor that doesn't supply a custom colorimeter and calibration/profiling package then buy a Spyder 3 Express and Color Eyes Display Pro, or BasICColor Display.

Cheers, Joe

Cheers, Joe

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:41:59 am »

Maybe.

Unfortunately in my experience their implementation of DDC is very poor at the moment. Specifically, DDC/ci is not the standard one would hope which means that you can't expect a monitor which supports DDC/ci to actually work properly with software that supports it.

That’s the main problem as I understand it. DDC standard is not so well defined. So at least with Eizo and NEC, you may have a locked down or proprietary DDC behavior but it works. Everyone else?  YMMV. Shame.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

shewhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:27:28 pm »

Just wanted to add... BasICColor Display may be able to upload profiles to the Eizo's LUT. They can do so with NEC monitors (Spectraview Profiler is of course BasICColor Display). I think that's the only exception. Check with the folks at BasICColor to be sure.

Cheers, Joe

RichWagner

• http://www.WildNaturePhotos.com
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 11:32:19 pm »

Just wanted to add... BasICColor Display may be able to upload profiles to the Eizo's LUT. They can do so with NEC monitors (Spectraview Profiler is of course BasICColor Display). I think that's the only exception. Check with the folks at BasICColor to be sure.

BasICColor Display 4 is has been able to to upload to the Eizo LUTs (at least on the CG 210 and 211) for a very long time.  I've been using BasICColor Display rather than ColorNavigator with my Eizo for years, as it gives a much better neutral axis, and always without a color cast, which was not always the case with ColorNavigator.  The DDC/ci works like a charm.

--Rich

bossanova808

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:18:26 am »

Eizo have announced that CN 6.1 will support the X-Rite i1Display Pro just fine.  It's out shortly.

jclacherty

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:51:29 am »

Great thanks.  I currently calibrate my Eizo using an i1 Pro.  Interested to see the difference when calibrated with a colorimeter.

shewhorn

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 02:12:12 am »

BasICColor Display 4 is has been able to to upload to the Eizo LUTs (at least on the CG 210 and 211) for a very long time.  I've been using BasICColor Display rather than ColorNavigator with my Eizo for years, as it gives a much better neutral axis, and always without a color cast, which was not always the case with ColorNavigator.  The DDC/ci works like a charm.

--Rich

Eizo seems to be quite open in that regard. I believe Color Eyes Display Pro can actually upload corrections the Monitor LUT on Eizo's monitors as well.

Cheers, Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up