Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Zeiss lenses and build quaility  (Read 9461 times)

K.C.

Re: Sony Zeiss lenses and build quaility
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 12:52:04 am »

Big thread I think in the Dyxum forum.

Nah. I'm a regular on that forum and clearly you're not.

There are however 79 personal users' reviews of the lens with an overall rating of 4.91 our of 5.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T*-135-F1.8_lens300.html

FlyPenFly

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 01:31:29 am »

Yeah I guess you're right, I'm sure if you do a search for 135mm hood, you won't see a lot of posts on problems... or wait!

K.C.

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 02:33:37 am »

Yeah I guess you're right, I'm sure if you do a search for 135mm hood, you won't see a lot of posts on problems... or wait!

Yup, 3 out of 79 reviews note the problem.

I'd suggest you state what you know instead of conjecture.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 02:43:56 am »

Hey guys, no sense in getting tight on this.
As the regulars on Dyxum know I spend a lot of time there (maybe even too much  ;))

It's well known there is a frequent problem with the front ring assembly of the CZ 135/1.8. There is even a specific Sony service bulletin how to deal with it.

However the majority of these cases only concern the ring that attaches to the hood, and the front element is held in place by a different part, and stays rock-solid where it is supposed to be. There is no effect on IQ or operation of this lens due to it.

While less desirable it only gives a minor play when the hood is attached and nothing else.

There are also a few reports of more serious front assembly problems, but I guess those are no more/less frequent than the average reports of mechanical problems on any lens.

Here's a link to one of the threads on Dyxum describing the problem some people have had
pieter, aka pegelli

FlyPenFly

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 08:38:57 am »

Some people tie their ego/feelings/identity to the gear they buy, there's no sense in it but it seems to be the case for photography gear.

K.C.

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 03:11:20 am »

However the majority of these cases only concern the ring that attaches to the hood, and the front element is held in place by a different part, and stays rock-solid where it is supposed to be. There is no effect on IQ or operation of this lens due to it.

Exactly.

And it's just annoying that previous posts didn't really contain the facts and suggested the problem was more common than it is.

I've had the very same issue with a Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L and it was a nuisance to fix. While I've heard of others having the same problem I have no idea how common this issue is and I'm not going to speculate.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up