Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Deterioration of CRS files  (Read 28557 times)

Kimber

Deterioration of CRS files
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:42:55 pm »

I have been experiencing major deterioration of original CRS files. Some of the photos that are ruined are new, some old. Some are on one hard drive, others on another. What the heck is going on? I have attached an example

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Deterioration of CRS files
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:00:40 pm »

File corruption due to a potential large list of reasons...bad ram, bad HD, bad motherboard, bad cards, bad cables...without a whole lot more info–like the basics of platform, OS, HD and how you are working, I don't have any advice other than to figure it out fast and make/have lots of backups...

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:21:41 pm »

First thing I'd try is to copy one of those files and try it on another computer.

Kimber

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:14:07 pm »

Ok - I tried it on my laptop (also a Mac) and it was the same corruption as on my G4 Mac OS X version 10.5.8
I am using CS5, canon camera, Maxtor hard drive, 16 GB various cards - no way to know if the corrupt ones came from the same card or not but not likely since I normally use two cameras.

Kimber

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:55:04 pm »

The corruption seems to be random. Not all files are damaged - a few in each folder

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:57:57 pm »

The corruption seems to be random. Not all files are damaged - a few in each folder

Which makes it even more critical that you narrow down the variables and figure out what component in the system is failing...this kind of stuff never fixes itself. Do some very specific tests to see if you can narrow down that's failing where. This sort of stuff needs to be fixed ASAP...

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:05:24 pm »

I now remember a similar thing that happened to me many years ago when trying to use small memory compact flash cards. I believe that the camera I had at the time didn't sense that the card was full or nearly so and tried to write with a similar result as to your example.

Schewe

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 11:12:00 pm »

I now remember a similar thing that happened to me many years ago when trying to use small memory compact flash cards.

Yeah, ya know, I don't think this is relevant...if image corruption is occurring on images stored on an HD, I'm thinking it's not related to the flash card but the HD, ram or motherboard...

Kimber

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 11:19:23 pm »

But I have two separate hard drives with some corrupt files. They appear to be the same ones on both drives in at least two cases but then I have another big shoot and the back up is fine even though my working file has a bunch of corruption. So I evidently copied the problem when I backed up in some cases but not in others. So what do I do to check the RAM and motherboard?

Schewe

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 11:28:51 pm »

Got another computer to test against?

The bottom line here is that somewhere, somehow, you've got a hardware problem...files don't just disintegrate on their own...normally. I'm sorry it's happening to you but so far, there's simply not enough info to go on...

Kimber

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 11:30:51 pm »

I have a MacPro laptop but I am not sure how you mean to test it.

Kimber

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 11:34:51 pm »

what info should I be looking for? how do you propose I test it?

Schewe

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 11:52:16 pm »

Try copying the same files that show corruption to the laptop...see if the files look corrupt on the laptop. Same deal wor the external drives.

Kimber

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 05:18:08 pm »

Same corrupt files show up corrupt on the lap top. I also noticed that given a bit of time all copies (different hard drives) eventually show corruption. I am thinking it had to be a bad card or a bad card reader. The files that are deteriorating seem to be from fall 2010 time frame. Thanks for the help and let me know if you have any other ideas.

Steve House

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 09:37:32 am »

Same corrupt files show up corrupt on the lap top. I also noticed that given a bit of time all copies (different hard drives) eventually show corruption. I am thinking it had to be a bad card or a bad card reader. The files that are deteriorating seem to be from fall 2010 time frame. Thanks for the help and let me know if you have any other ideas.

"Deteriorating" implies that files that were once okay on the disk have somehow become not okay even though nothing was done to otherwise touch them.  A bad card in the camera or a bad card reader wouldn't account for that sort of behaviour ... that would possibly cause a file that looked okay in the camera to get corrupted when it was copied over to the hard drive but once on the hard drive it wouldn't change further unless something else was going on.  Other than copying them once and leaving them sit on the disk, what else are you doing with them?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:58:12 am by Steve House »

Kimber

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 02:22:15 pm »

That is correct - the image files (CR2) used to be fine but are now deteriorating. I have hooked the hard drive up to a different computer and the same files are corrupt.
 I have them stored on the hard drive - I add new image folders. I sometimes go back and work on a file or pull one if I need something but other than that the files simply sit on the hard drive. I checked a copy on another hard drive and the same files are deteriorating on that hard drive as well which makes me think it is not the hard drive. Could it be something in the file download that just took a while to show up?
I did a shoot in March 2010 and some of those images are deteriorating- others from a trip in Aug 2010 as well. In Oct 2010 I had a card go bad and I lost a whole shoot. I of course threw that card away and got a new one. It is possible that these images from March and Aug were also taken on that card - could that be why I am getting some deterioration? nothing that I have taken recently shows signs of deterioration - at least not yet.

Steve House

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 04:58:27 pm »

Files on a disk don't just change spontaneoulsy unless the disk itself is developing bad sectors or otherwise deteriorating.  It's highly unlikely that two totally separate disks would simultaneously deteriorate in such as way as to affect the same files on both and only those files.  Something else in your environment has changed.  Have you upgraded the software you are using to view them, installed any new software or codecs, updated the OS, etc?

Kimber

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 06:30:34 pm »

Yes
I updated Camera Raw to 6.2. I recently purchased a 60D which wasn't supported unless updated. I believe there was also an OS update not too long ago.

Steve House

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 11:16:28 am »

Yes
I updated Camera Raw to 6.2. I recently purchased a 60D which wasn't supported unless updated. I believe there was also an OS update not too long ago.

Are you opening the files in ACR when you see the 'corruption?' What about other viewing software, perhaps Canon's own viewer, that is able to open RAW files?  

If you have the files on an external drive or can copy them to one or to a jump drive, see if you can locate a system with your old version of ACR on it and see if the files still appear corrupt or revert back to being okay.

The current version of ACR is 6.4.1  You might want to consider further updating from 6.2 to the most current.  It's just a shot in the dark but it's possible it could be some glitch for those files in ACR 6.2 or maybe even some hiccup occured when you installed it that would be remedied with a fresh install of new ACR files.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:26:09 am by Steve House »

Kimber

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 02:58:57 pm »

Ok,
I tried importing into LR on the same computer - same files still corrupt. Next I will try opening on my laptop with CS4. All of my files automatically open in Bridge. I can see the corrupted files in Bridge and when I open in Camera raw they are still messed up.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up