Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fredrix 901 WR not really water resistant  (Read 3080 times)

KenBabcock

Fredrix 901 WR not really water resistant
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:30:37 pm »

Finally found a (fairly) close supplier of Fredrix canvas.  Thought I would give the 901 satin WR canvas a try.

Images printed great.  Fairly wide gamut.  Comparable with other higher end canvases I've used.

Folded the canvas and pinched together to simulate folding corners.  No cracking... this is great!

Then I attempted to apply my Eco Print Shield and it lifted a serious amount of ink.  Licked my thumb and rubbed some of the canvas and the ink lifted off with hardly any pressure rubbing.

Great.  This is useless to me now.  Water resistant my arse!  Thanks for wasting 140 bucks, Fredrix.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Fredrix 901 WR not really water resistant
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:44:51 pm »

What printer/ink are you using?

davidh202

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:28:16 pm »

According to the data sheet it should work for Aquious based Inksets , although people are having the same problem with Epson Exhibition Canvas and coating. The fact sheet for EPS says for use with water resistant canvas...hmm
http://www.fredrixprintcanvas.com/assets/pdf/SpecSheets/Pulse_901WR//PULSE901WR_spec09.pdf

Are you giving adequate dry time ?
BTW: see my post on Eco Print Shield...
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=56967.0
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:42:27 pm by davidh202 »

KenBabcock

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:21:49 am »

Wayne, I tried it on two 7600's, one with Epson ink and the other with G&G.  Tried it on my 9880 with Epson ink.  Same results on all 3 printers.  Maybe try it on the 8300?

I've allowed about 36 hours or so now to dry.  Still rubbing off with a moist finger without much pressure.

David, I have been following that thread.  This seems just like the problem you have with Epson Exhibition.  Only difference is this Fredrix is advertised as being WR.  I don't think the Exhibition is.  I would never have purchased this roll if it were not advertised WR.

Not a huge deal.  I'll just spray this roll with some Krylon and never purchase another roll of it.  I was just hoping this would be my replacement for Epson Premium which is now totally out of stock where I buy.  It was a similar price, fairly close (an hour drive as opposed to 3 blocks away for Epson) and the texture and feel of the canvas is very similar to Epson.  I could have made the switch without clients even knowing I was using a different canvas, that's how close to Epson it appears.

davidh202

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 10:23:43 am »

Ken,
When I started using canvas last year the recommendation from Pro Imaging Supplies was to buy the less expensive Epson PCM and then coat with Gloss or Satin EPS for final finish since the Premium canvas needed it for crack resistance and protection.
Premier Art had a no product situation for a while (supposedly to reformulate the EPS. I have no idea why Epson has not used water resistant tech in the Ex Canvas but with your experience With Fredrix I have to question what is going on?
I'm hoping Premier Art follows up on their promise but they do have a disclaimer on their EPS fact sheet that states that it needs to be used with water resistant canvas only. Feels like were going around in circles and I may just switch back to PCM again unless it is unobtainable as you say. ::)

I enjoy the lack of fumes with EPS and would really hate to have to resort to solvent based sprays.
I have not tried to spray EPS yet but I imagine it might cause color bleeding even if it the ink is not physically picked up by a roller.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:30:35 am by davidh202 »

KenBabcock

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 11:33:56 am »

The place I bought it from told me they've never had anyone else complain about it, but also said most of their customers (Toronto area) don't coat it at all.  Good to know they're sending sh!t to customers.

I'm not planning on using solvents either, David.  I like my Eco Print Shield and plan on sticking with it.  Just have to find a replacement for the Epson I used most of the time.

Depending on where you live you might still be able to get some of the Premium.  I can no longer get it here locally, although I'm sure I could if I paid horrendous shipping fees.  But my usual supplier is completely out, so is Vistek.

I can get Breathing Color canvas, but that's about 1.5 hours from me.  I'd have to buy 10 rolls at a time to get a discount for a decent price, otherwise the prices are a little expensive there too.

It's just frustrating that Epson went and changed their canvas.  I was paying $105 per roll and picking it up 3 blocks from here. 

davidh202

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 03:33:10 pm »

Looks like Atlex only has 36" rolls left and Epson has discontinued all Except the New EX Canvas....grrrr

Only alternative is to either use the Priemier Print Shield(old solvent based) or to use the PPS spray as a first sealer and then coat with EPS...  double GRRRR >:( >:( >:(

I get pleanty of uncoated canvasses to stretch in my frame store, some people either are doing it cheaply or they just are not aware of the need.!
I wonder if Epson considers it unnecessary to coat EX Canvas? I was told I needed to coat PCM to prevent cracking mostly.But if Ex Canvas is not water resistant then it is succeptable to damage unless coated !?  It would be nice to not have to at all, but then you need to stock 2 or three finishes to meet customer requests.
Can't win em all I guess.!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:50:26 pm by davidh202 »

KenBabcock

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 05:31:52 pm »

I just heard back the lot number of the canvas I purchased is bad.

Hmm... kinda goes against the little slogan of Fredrix "Quality and consistency from roll to roll".  Really?  Wow, guess ya blew it on my roll.
Pages: [1]   Go Up