Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modeling Schools are a Total Waste of Time and Money  (Read 1130 times)

BenjaminKanarek

Modeling Schools are a Total Waste of Time and Money
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:15:44 am »

I am sure you have all seen those adverts saying, "…become  top model…".  Or "You can become a model in only 6 weeks…" etc.

I find it sad and pathetic that so many kids and parents fall for those solicitations.  I can only imagine how much money is tossed out the window by so many those hoping to become models via the Modeling Schools offering fame and fortune in the fashion business.

So for those of you reading this and hoping to become models, let me edify you to the reality of the business. 

There is no school out there that can make you that promise and keep it. 

To become a model the reality is the following.

If you are over 5'-9" or 1m 75 cm  around 14-16 years of age or even younger. 

Have a unique look that breaks with convention

A classic conventional look that is really commercial

Have been discovered by a credible model agency scout or recognized fashion photographer

Have been to see the credible model agencies around like Elite, Ford, Next, IMG, Marilyn, One Model Management, Viva, etc. and they have accepted you on their roster

A fashion magazine editor has discovered you and sent you to one of the above agencies or other credible agencies

All modeling agencies worth their weight, will teach the models the necessary talent to survive in the business.  They will warn them against certain career pitfalls, who and what to avoid, teach them how to walk for runway work, as well as some of the more important aspects of posing and attitudes needed to approach a photo and video shoot.

Of course there are other types of modeling that I have not mentioned, like hand, leg, body, extra work, glamour, erotic, people, lifestyle etc. modeling that falls under a very different category and doesn't really require the above attributes. 

If none of the above situations apply, I suggest that you save your money and invest in other aspects of your capabilities and pass GO and save your $200.00. One day you might want to pass this on to those seeking your advice.

Comments are welcome

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/x03

degrub

Re: Modeling Schools are a Total Waste of Time and Money
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:47:21 pm »

i think you are in the wrong forum.  i doubt many model wannabies hang out here ;D.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:51:28 pm by degrub »

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »

Some would say that the whole industry is a total waste of time and money.

I flipped through a copy of Australian Vogue whilst eating my lunch the other day. There were three women who looked natural in the magazine, they were actresses. The rest left me cold…

Cheers,
Tom Brown

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:16:05 pm »

Most models I've seen since my advertising days back in the 1960's look grotesque. Probably selective breeding by those who definitely have a problem with women.
Pages: [1]   Go Up