Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting Radio Control Planes with JVC GY-HM100  (Read 1607 times)

Bob Raymount

Shooting Radio Control Planes with JVC GY-HM100
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:08:35 am »

Hello all,

I am very new to video (quite a bit of experience with still photography) and have just purchased a JVC GY-HM100. I have been a reader of these forums for a number of years.

Being a member of a radio control model flying club I have been asked to shoot some video of an event that is coming up in a few weeks time. Much to my horror I said yes.

I shot some trial footage on the JVC on the weekend but had the camera on full auto. As a result when the planes were in the air the camera exposed for the sky resulting in a silhouetted plane which wasn't very satisfactory. My question is if I set the camera to manual how do I meter to expose the planes correctly given that some time they are in the sky against a bright background and sometimes they are doing low passes against trees and green grass? Bear in mind that these things move very quickly so there is very little time to make too many adjustments on the fly.

Any help anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance four your time and all the best.

Bob

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Re: Shooting Radio Control Planes with JVC GY-HM100
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:08:05 am »

what is behind the plane will make no difference to the exposure the plane needs

expose for the plane - shoot
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:00:00 am »

My question is if I set the camera to manual how do I meter to expose the planes correctly given that some time they are in the sky against a bright background and sometimes they are doing low passes against trees and green grass? Bear in mind that these things move very quickly so there is very little time to make too many adjustments on the fly.

Any help anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance four your time and all the best.

Bob

Bob - you need an ND filter on the JVC - I think it has only one position. In that case you might want to invest in a variable ND filter and constantly monitor the video on the monitor.

Expose for the plane in the sky (Assuming that's where they are most of the time). Then - the only thing you need to manipulate is either:
1. The ND filter itself, or
2. The gain

If both these options are not practical, you will have to sacrifice one for the other. The thing against the HM100 is its small form factor. With a shoulder-mounted cam, you can use your left hand to change settings on the fly.

Another solution? Rent another camera and shoot from a different position. This way, you have two exposures and viewpoints to intercut - giving it a more professional feel. Hope this helps.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Bob Raymount

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:14:02 pm »

Many thanks for the very helpful replies replies Sareesh and Morgan.

Renting a second unit is out at this stage unfortunately so I think I will have to meter for the plane and see how I go.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Pages: [1]   Go Up