Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flower macros from Royal Botanical Gardens  (Read 4452 times)

John R

Flower macros from Royal Botanical Gardens
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:12:21 pm »

Went out with a group from the camera club when Roses were in their prime in late June of this year. Shot some and a few other flowers. As far as I am concerned, macro work is about the hardest kind of photography I have yet to try. It's all work and very difficult to see properly through those extenders!

JMR
1- slightly cropped and desaturated

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Flower macros from Royal Botanical Gardens
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:27:40 am »

Very pretty, John, particularly the first and the third. What kit were you using?

Jeremy

JohnKoerner

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 06:10:26 am »

Went out with a group from the camera club when Roses were in their prime in late June of this year. Shot some and a few other flowers. As far as I am concerned, macro work is about the hardest kind of photography I have yet to try. It's all work and very difficult to see properly through those extenders!

People underestimate how hard macro photography is! The slightest movement of the camera can be half the body length of a tiny creature or flower!

For that reason, especially since you're working with inanimate subjects like flowers, I recommend not looking through your viewfinder at all, and using Live View and a tripod instead. Really helps in composing your shots at 1x, and then (once composed) in really nailing your focus with the key areas of the subject blown-up 10x closer on your screen for careful scrutiny ...

That said, I think all of your images turned out delightful ;D

Jack

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 06:54:56 am »

I'd love to see the images. Unfortunately, I can see nothing

francois

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:56 am »

The third is my favorite but the three others are gorgeous also.
It's a nice job!
Francois

Cannes

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:34:50 am »

good job! I love the second, which lens you use?

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:59:47 am »

Delicious work!

You gotta start doing shows and then in your leisure time write a book on how you developed these mar-vhe-lous techniques!

We visited a couple of resort towns on the Oregon coast last weekend. The towns had a lot of art galleries, but nothing there matched the eye candy nature of your work.

John R

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 05:43:39 pm »

Very pretty, John, particularly the first and the third. What kit were you using?

Jeremy
Thanks for the comments. I use a K5 Pentax with 100 mm Nikon attached with an adapter I bought on Ebay. And an extender, but I can't recall which one I used. Very difficult on the eyes and only about ten per cent of images were focused where I intended. So I am learning to use live view and hope that will help. In the end, I will likely buy a Tamron ir Pentax mcro lens. Just too hard on the eyes!

John R

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 05:46:01 pm »

People underestimate how hard macro photography is! The slightest movement of the camera can be half the body length of a tiny creature or flower!

For that reason, especially since you're working with inanimate subjects like flowers, I recommend not looking through your viewfinder at all, and using Live View and a tripod instead. Really helps in composing your shots at 1x, and then (once composed) in really nailing your focus with the key areas of the subject blown-up 10x closer on your screen for careful scrutiny ...

That said, I think all of your images turned out delightful ;D

Jack

Thanks for the comments John. I am going to start using Live View, which I thought was for video!

JMR

John R

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 05:50:26 pm »

Thank you Justan, Francois, and Cannes. Bill, I don't know what to say and have no idea why you cannot see the images.

JMR

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 06:31:58 pm »

I can see them now. Had to empty my cache, delete cookies, log-in again, et voila! Very nice flower photies, BTW.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 08:28:36 pm »

Love #1 and #3 because both are a bit farther from another flower shot. I love to see taking the original photograph and moving toward a more painterly treatment without the obvious filter effects so often seen. Well done.

Jose L

• "He detenido la luz, he capturado su vuelo" Louis
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 02:00:04 pm »

Para nada subestimo la fotografía macro. Hay que "saber ver" para extraer estos pequeños pedazos de realidad. En tus fotografías me gusta la luz, suave. La definición, muy buena. Y el tratamiento del color, muy correcto. Enhorabuena.

John R

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 09:25:35 pm »

Love #1 and #3 because both are a bit farther from another flower shot. I love to see taking the original photograph and moving toward a more painterly treatment without the obvious filter effects so often seen. Well done.
Thank you Bill and Jose L. Louoates, thanks and that is exactly what I am leaning to more and more. But really, I have no issues with modest and tasteful use of filters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up