Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early morning b/w  (Read 1908 times)

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Early morning b/w
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:56:00 pm »

I shoot a lot of golf courses, 100% in color for those clients. So I get out on the golf course early for that strong slanting light through the trees that makes colors really zing. But this scene I saw as a b/w possibility before I even set up my tripod. Hope you like.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Early morning b/w
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:30:25 am »

Nicely done!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 03:25:46 am »

Lovely shot, benefitting from being in b&w.

Jeremy

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:50:43 am »

Absolutely beautiful capture!

Only thing I’d play with, and I don’t know if I’d keep it, and of course I can’t know if you tried and rejected, but maybe try a gradient in the bright top center area to reduce brightness a tad – I'm guessing about 5% to 20% or so. It draws my eyes from the remainder of the scene.

But that said, I've been in a number of club houses and I can’t think of one that wouldn’t love to have something such as what you’ve done on display.

BTW, how does it look in color?

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:51:52 pm »

Here's the color version. I also darkened the top sky area as suggested above. I may do that for the b/w also next time I open that one. The next image I shot for the golf club's scorecard cover. It's the same hole but at a different angle. The last image is from the same early morning. That one needed several layers (exposure via raw mode) due to the sky's extreme brightness because it was shot toward the sunrise. I thought it might make a nice poster.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:36:45 pm »

Here's the color version. I also darkened the top sky area as suggested above. I may do that for the b/w also next time I open that one. The next image I shot for the golf club's scorecard cover. It's the same hole but at a different angle. The last image is from the same early morning. That one needed several layers (exposure via raw mode) due to the sky's extreme brightness because it was shot toward the sunrise. I thought it might make a nice poster.
The colour version isn't a patch on the b&w, IMHO. Your third shot is wonderful.

Jeremy

JohnKoerner

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 07:15:05 pm »

Stunning colors on #3 Lou.

popnfresh

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 11:03:39 pm »

Darkening the sky in the first color shot doesn't work for me. It looks like it's been darkened and doesn't belong. I would have been inclined to clone in more tree to fill in the gap.

But overall I like the middle color shot the best, by far.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 12:32:45 pm »

Those are fabulous! The darkend area works perfectly. The 3rd shot is awesome!

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 02:51:02 am »

The first B&W version is very nice; just love the light on that flag.
Pages: [1]   Go Up