Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lens purchase question  (Read 1590 times)

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
lens purchase question
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:12:08 am »

hi everyone,more question to come

i am thinking about buying this lens

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Lenses/Digital-MF-120mm-Macro/Info.aspx

but i heard this from a friend who is a camera assistant,though his dose not always work with MF digital back,that some old lens's resolution dose not match the new high pixels digital back like IQ180.he said even you have perfect focus in the viewfinder,the image may still be not sharp.

so my question is will this lens work with IQ180 and 645DF?

and one more thing i noticed that on mamiya's web page,645DF dose not list under the lens specification,there is  only 645AFD II/645AFD III/ZD .and nothing mentioned on phase one page.

thanks in advance!
this is Torchiam and his army vs the world

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: lens purchase question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:01:03 pm »

I don't know what is wrong with your friend's lens or his body/back (firmware issues? unclean contacts? user error?). But the 120D works GREAT with a DF/IQ180 combo. There is some minor chromatic aberration wide open (to be expected) but the lens is RAZOR sharp (even for an 80mp sensor) at f/8 - f/11 (it's also pretty good at f/5.6 depending on your expectations). It also stops down more gracefully to f/16 than other medium format macro lenses (see our macro diffraction test).

Since DOF is always a challenge in macro you might also consider these options which would give you movements like tilt and swing.
- Schneider 120mm TS
- Cambo X-2
- Mamiya Bellows

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:17:42 pm »

hi Doug Peterson

thanks for the fast reply.and it is super professional!now i am confident that although it is not a new schneider LS lens,it still fits the IQ180 very well~~and since i do not use af a lot,i think you just help me to avoid to buy the expensive new 110/2.8

thanks again

vjbelle

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:34:53 pm »

You should be aware that this is a manual focus lens.  Even though there would be focus assist on the DF it is not always the most preferable way to focus.  This lens is also slated to be upgraded to Auto Focus..... so the rumors say.  Another issue could be curtain vibration which has some affect on the longer Phase lenses.  This may or may not be an issue with this lens but you should check it out for yourself and have a clear path for returning the lens. 

The 110 is a stellar lens!  You will never regret buying it.  Choose wisely.....

Victor

TH_Alpa

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 04:46:08 pm »

Torchiam

My question would be: what do you want to do with this lens?

Best
Thierry

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:11:05 pm »

@Tierry
i only have on lens now,the 80/2.8 came with the kit.initially i am interested in macro photo shot.and on the other hand,80mm some times is too wide for studio portrait shot.you can walk closer to the model,but usually it is not very comfortable to be very close.not to say it will drop a shadow on the subject when you have light behind you.

Torchiam
Pages: [1]   Go Up