Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dordogne Region, France  (Read 2148 times)

Brad Smith

Dordogne Region, France
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:55:39 am »

Hi,

I am going to the Dordogne region of France in a few weeks. I will be staying a bit south of Sarlat and will have a car. Would anyone have any tips for someone who likes landscapes, architecture and just capturing the general aura of a place?

Thanks,
Brad Smith

Martin Greene

Re: Dordogne Region, France
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 02:00:11 pm »

Brad

Was in the Dordogne region early June, 2010.  Its a lovely area with much to photograph.  Take a look at the Dordogne portfolio in my web site, martingreenephotos.com 

I stayed in a lovely B&B in Sarlat, which is centrally located.

The B&B-  Les Cordeliers-     www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g196508-d666007-Reviews-Les_Cordeliers_Bed_and_Breakfast-Sarlat_la_Caneda_Dordogne_Region_Aquitaine.html
My review June 29, 2010

Restaurant not to be missed.  Le Grande Bleu   www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g196508-Sarlat_la_Caneda_Dordogne_Region_Aquitaine.html

Both of these are #1 for the area in Tripadvisor and deserve it.

Be glad to answer any questions you have.

Martin

Brad Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:10:40 am »

Thank you, Martin, for your reply, including the restaurant recommendation. Also, I enjoyed looking at your portfolios. Do you happen to recall the town where the last image in your Dordogne portfolio was taken?

Regards,
Brad Smith

Martin Greene

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:31:01 pm »

Brad

It was taken in the outskirts of Salignac.

Martin

jeb1_es

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:55:36 am »

Hi Brad. This is Jordi, from Catalonia (south of Barcelona).
I've visited the whole France but this area is my favourite. No doubts about it.
I visited Sarlat and surroundings at least 6 times.
All the region is full of charming landscapes. Try to stay at the terrace of Domme Bastide at the sunset... you'll enjoy one of the best places to see the Dordogne valley.
Beynac, at the Dordogne riverside is splendid, specially at the early morning...
And, not least important... this region is one of the best "foie" manufacturers. Don't miss the "mi-cuit". You'll find on all the menus.
Enjoy your stay.

4wd

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 08:01:45 am »

The classic place to visit is Rocamadour with buildings clinging to a cliff side in a most appealing way.
It's very touristy though and there are numerous lovely old buildings delightfully placed throughout the area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up