Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assisting: New York, London or Sydney?  (Read 4836 times)

maxmilne

Assisting: New York, London or Sydney?
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:22:09 am »

Hello fellow photographers,

I have a hard decision that I need to make at the start of 2012, this is a quarter life crisis...

What do you believer is the best place to experience assisting on top commercial and advertising photographic jobs in the world?

My choice at the moment is to be determined on the state of the actual market in either Sydney, New York and London. Am I over-looking other cities as opportunities?

I am currently making a living as a photographer in Melbourne Australia. It is easy to get a working holiday Visa to the UK and of course to travel to Sydney.

From your professional photography positions what do you recommend as the greenest pastures to start on? It will be assist and smile if i break even affair!

Kind regards,

Max Milne
www.maxmilne.com

mediumcool

Re: Assisting: New York, London or Sydney?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:31:51 am »

Why not [first] approach photographers in all three markets who you would like to work with?

Cost of living is not going to vary much, but that is worth looking at as well.

And if the GFC has truly affected Oz less than many other countries, then Sydney might be a good idea! Cheaper to get home for the odd weekend.

And you already speak the language.  ;)

FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:13:11 am »

You haven't said what type of work you would like to be assisting with. Not all cities are suitable in all genres.

DeeJay

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:50:17 am »

Determine who it is you would like to assist and then make the decision.

mediumcool

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:06:56 am »

Determine who it is you would like to assist and then make the decision.

That’s of course if they should choose to be assisted by the OP.  ;D
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

DeeJay

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:02:28 pm »

That’s of course if they should choose to be assisted by the OP.  ;D

No. Life is short and your window of time to assist a big name is very small. You aim the highest you can aim and put yourself on the path to it. Dreams come true so you better make them big ones.

London and New York are full of big photographers and agents looking for good assistants even if you're timing isn't right with a Photographer, I'm sure they won't be the only photographer who's work you like. Why would you assume anything other than you have what it takes to be the best assistant?

Only assist those who you really like the work of and you would want to be in their shoes. Go where these people are.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:10:10 pm by DeeJay »

maxmilne

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 10:25:18 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say a big thanks to your replies especially DeeJay. An gues what? I live in Sydney now and have been meeting those photographers who I dreamed of working for. An now....well....it is happening. Yesterday I met with Gary Heery Julian Wolkenstein and last week I was working with Juliet Taylor with the very real chance to work with Simon Harsent. Phew it has been just two weeks here but with your support and sheer determination it is working!

The best thing with meeting them all is well..everyone is human!

Thank you all,

Max
Pages: [1]   Go Up