Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting or Renaming with a trailing 0  (Read 1071 times)

pflower

Exporting or Renaming with a trailing 0
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:27:18 pm »

Not sure it really is trailing.  But I have been exporting a large number of photographs to different folders in preparation for publishing in InDesign.  Try as I may I can't find any way of exporting or renaming so that the photos end up as, for example, Portraits_01, Portraits_02 etc.  They always end up as Portraits_1, Portraits_2 etc. - in other words without the initial 0.

Now InDesign will pick them up as Portraits_10 onwards to Portraits_19 and then Portraits_1.  Similarly it will pick them up as Portraits_20 to Portraits_29 and then pick up Portraits_2.  It is a pain in the **** to move things around in InDesign and so I have had to manually change the names in the folders.  I know that there are only 9 images to rename in the finder but last project had over 30 different folders.

Is there a way to make Lightroom rename or export with initial zeroes?

If not has anyone got a recommendation for a Mac program that will allow an easy renaming?

Thanks

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Re: Exporting or Renaming with a trailing 0
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 02:32:09 pm »

In the File Naming part of Lightroom's export dialog, select the "Rename To:" checkbox and choose Edit... from the popup menu. One of the popups in the resulting dialog is "Sequence", which has various options for different numbers of leading zeroes.

FileMangler, from ManyTricks, is a handy little utility for the Mac which will do a great many nifty things with file names.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 02:47:17 pm »

FileMangler, from ManyTricks, is a handy little utility for the Mac which will do a great many nifty things with file names.

Jeremy
I second FileMangler, it's a very simple yet effecive utility. Automator can do it but it's more complicated and time-consuming.
Francois

pflower

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 04:50:09 am »

Ha, I knew I must be missing something obvious - its in the edit section of the rename dialog.  Stupid not to have thought of that.  Thanks a lot.

Pages: [1]   Go Up