Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Zealand Fall Colors 2012  (Read 3974 times)

Philflash

New Zealand Fall Colors 2012
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:12:36 pm »

I plan to visit the north and south islands of New Zealand this coming fall (2012) for 21 days. I am a low level intermediate landscape photographer-senior (69 years old, can handle short hikes) seeking to shoot fall colors.
What are your recommendations and suggestions:
1. approximate date ranges when fall colors arrive on both islands?
2. prime locations on each island? and
3. recommendation of tours from people who have taken them?
Philflash

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: New Zealand Fall Colors 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 04:32:59 pm »

I can't speak to fall colors because we visited NZ in the spring. It is a photog's paradise, to be sure. Three tours/locales that I highly recommend:

1) Tiritiri Matangi (spelling?), an island near Auckland that is being restored to all native plants and animals.

2) Helicopter trip to the Franz Josef glacier.

3) Overnight cruise at Milford Sound.

If interested, you can check out my NZ photos (and others) at www.peteraitken.com. You'll have a great time - I want to go back!

Snapped

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 06:14:52 pm »

Late April early May  are best time for fall color in the South Island, the North can be a good 4 weeks later.  Your window is quite small,  if we get a winter storm coming through the wind and rain can kill the color quite quickly.  Remember native NZ forest is ever green, so the fall color is only from exotic trees generally found where there was significant settlements in the early 1900.  Best places tend to be in the South Island as there is far more seasonal change the further south you go.  My recommendation is Central Otago / Southern Lakes district, essentially Queenstown & Wanaka for deciduous tree color, maybe take in Alexandra & Cromwell too,  All within a 2 hour radius.   Christchurch has excellent parks with good color too but has of course been severely trashed buy the recent earthquakes.   You could consider a photo tour with Mike Langford & Jackie Rankin out of Queenstown, check out      www.qccp.co.nz       Depending on the time you have available the biggest density of " photo opportunity " is in the South Island.    A visit to Fiordland is essential, and yes, the Glaciers, Fox Glacier and Franz Joseph Glacier,  on the west coast are awesome too, but you will need a heli tour for access.  Other stunning places are Lake Pukaki ( Mt Cook ) and Lake Tekapo both in the Mackenzie Basin area.
Get that credit card out and book it now !!

Here's a pic from Queenstown to inspire you along ......

Snapped

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 06:55:42 pm »

OK, just dug this out for you, taken 23rd April 2009 at a small place called Twizel in MacKenzie Basin.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:12:42 am »

And don't forget Arrowtown!

Here are a few images of mine.
http://www.magiclight.co.nz/Central%20Autumn/index.html

And the NZ postage stamp :-)
http://www.magiclight.co.nz/

Best colours seem to be after a dry summer.

Cheers Dave

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:38:28 am »

I haven't been to NZ in autumn but here in Australia we do get their autumn advertising. What stands out are the golden poplars and they always seem to have aerial shots over the feilds lined with them. A quick Google search will show you what to expect. It always seems to be the South Island that is featured in these scenes.

Queenstown always seems to be heavily advertised and if you are into adventure it is the place to be.

My website has sixteen slide shows from all over NZ all of them are from summer visits though you can find them here.

Take warm clothes and wet weather gear, mine was purchased there. You will definitely need it if you go to Milford Sound, it rains over 300 days a year there.

I've had four trips there over the past few years and always had a great time. The people are warm and friendly and the food's good.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:44:28 am »

The drive from Lake Tekapo south, and Wanaka and Arrowtown are particularly nice, but you will get good autumn shots most places. Round the start of the last week of April should be good in the south, but every year is different. We are up and running in Christchurch so if you need a day's rest staying here will be fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up