Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: one small question about keeping your camera  (Read 1452 times)

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
one small question about keeping your camera
« on: August 13, 2011, 11:44:21 am »

professional users here,

when you put your digital back camera to your case or to your bag,do you take off the back from the camera body and put the ccd cover on,or do your just keep them together all the time?

thanks
this is Torchiam and his army vs the world

michael

Re: one small question about keeping your camera
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 12:19:33 pm »

My feeling is that every time you remove a back from the camera – for any reason – you are running the risk of getting dust on it, scratching it, or dropping it accidentally.

I say this from bitter experience. I once accidentally scratched the cover glass on a P65 and it cost me $1,500 to have it replaced.

Michael

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 12:45:38 pm »

I completely agree with Michael.

While your back is on the camera, it is safe. Removing or replacing the back is the most risky part of owning it, so do it as little as possible. I have only the one back, and it gets used on three Hasselblad bodies, so I do have to swap it around quite often. When I do, I like to mount the camera on a tripod, so that I can use two hands to remove the back very carefully. It only takes one slip, and the cover glass is scratched.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

design_freak

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 02:38:56 pm »

Hi,
I prefer to transport equipment in parts. Body, lens, viewfinder and digital back. But i travel a lot and I like to have equipment in prefect working condition and when all parts fit perfect to each other. I saw what could happen when we transport equipment as ready to shot.
Best regards,
DF

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 03:12:21 pm »

I leave it all together for a few reasons:

1.) especially if you are only using it on one body it means there will be way less dust on it to degrade the image quality. And of course if it does get dust on it then you have to take it off and start to run into the risk of damaging it or getting even more dirt on it.

2.) Obviously it will be more secure when it is on the camera and much less risk of damaging it. The few times I have taken my back off have been some of the most terrifying moments of my life. The only thing that I can think of that is even remotely close to being that terrifying was when I decided to upgrade the RAM in my Mac Pro myself.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:16:14 pm »

very glad to have two masters' replies.the world dose look a lot easier when you only have one set of camera system.it is scary indeed every time to me when i remove the back.and i did not intend to do it often.

the only reason makes me ask is that phase one made that pretty metal plate as the ccd cover,i though there must be a reason.

thank you all for the advices!
this is Torchiam and his army vs the world

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 03:27:56 pm »

I use a sliding back on a tech camera, so it's not really practical to pack the back on the camera.  I remove my P65+ from the camera 3 or 4 times a day when I'm shooting.  In 2 years and 28,000 exposures I've never dropped or scratched any part of it.  Dust is almost a non-issue with digi-backs... I hit it with my rocket duster every time I put it back on the camera.

That's how I roll...

If you're shooting an slr (eg 645 df) I see no reason not to leave it on camera all the time.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:30:57 pm by CBarrett »

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 03:53:12 pm »

Yes their back cover is something to be marveled at... I've emailed those lockcircle people telling them to make a phase/mamiya mount version. I suppose its for people who use view cameras and a like where it isn't very practical to keep the back on the camera at all times.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 04:53:29 pm »

Granted I only use a WRS however the only "real" time I've ever removed my P45+ was when I replaced it with a P65+.  "Real" time means that I will occasionally remove the back to change orientation. 

Michael is right.  Remember that stuff happens all the time.

Don

ondebanks

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 05:14:08 pm »

I leave mine on all the time, unless I'm switching to a film back, which isn't often.

I once accidentally scratched the cover glass on a P65 and it cost me $1,500 to have it replaced.

That just sums up the biggest problem with Phase One.

I got a brand new IR filter (the part that Michael called the cover glass) for my Kodak back a few months ago - cost me $195. Just clicks into place. Fabulous design. I pop it off to do IR shooting; Kodak built a filter storage place into the MFDB's cover. Another clever design.

I'm sure Phase One's filter is 750% better, because it costs 750% more.

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up