Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help!! Very Urgent! Epson 9880 colours blocking up  (Read 32173 times)

NickCroken

Re: Please help!! Very Urgent! Epson 9880 colours blocking up
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 11:29:13 pm »

Hi All,
I was away from internet for the last 24 hours.  I have since tried matching up my settings in qimage to those that were posted (max quality etc) and nothing has changed.  I have tried printing different files that work ok so long as there isn't a gradient in the blues/cyan.

I'm not sure where the 2mp came from as this file was shot personally by an aptus 65 so resolution and gradient shouldn't be a file issue.  The screenshots from photoshop and lightroom show a perfect gradient. 

I'll be calling Epson tomorrow, Tuesday at the latest to try and get this figured out. 

I appreciate all of your suggestions and am still all ears.

Farmer

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 05:47:00 am »

Ah, the 2mp comment came from the note on the app saying 1920x1170, but I see now that's not the image size that you're printing.

I would still STRONGLY recommend removing Qimage from the workflow and just print from PS or Acrobat or similar and see what happens, just printing through the driver.  Always test things as simply as possible and then see what the results are and work from there.  Epson is unlikely to be able to help until you do that - they can't support Qimage and there's no indication of it being a printer problem at this stage.

Phil Brown

NickCroken

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 09:06:26 pm »

I tried printing out of photoshop and had similar results, even with reworked files (incase something went wrong there).  I tried two small test strips though and they worked perfectly.  Now, when I went to print the big one the colours are weird again.  I'm having this issue with two issues, one of my files and one of a friends.

davidh202

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 09:12:00 pm »

Nick did you check to see if your printer is set as default as someone else wisely suggested?

NickCroken

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 09:16:45 pm »

I did and it was set to default :(

NickCroken

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »

What confuses me is that my small test strip looked fine and then when I went to print the larger version it started happening again.

davidh202

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 10:18:24 pm »

Are you hard wired to the printer?

NickCroken

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 10:18:47 pm »

Not sure if this will help diagnose or not but I printed a 3x8" 100% crop of one of the trouble areas and it printed perfectly.  When I tried printing the larger file (which the crop came from) it reverted back to having issues.

I am hardwired to the printer.

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 10:27:24 pm »

Some kind of ink starvation maybe. You mentioned this happened after changing the cyan ink cartridge. Did you try reseating it or swapping it?

NickCroken

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 10:31:10 pm »

I did try re seating it, shook it up some more.  If it was ink starvation would it not still affect the small print due to it requiring the same amount of ink as the big version?  I am still new to printing so please excuse any ignorance I may have shown.

davidh202

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 11:57:18 pm »

Sorry Nick, this is beyond anything else I have experience with.

I'd really like to know where all the 'experts' on this forum are, and why they don't reply to a post such as yours???

Farmer

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 12:07:39 am »

People *are* replying, but it's a very, very unusual issue.

Are you able to print from a different computer to test it?

Hmmm, how big is the actual file in pixel dimensions and what size are you printing to and at what resolution?
Phil Brown

NickCroken

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 12:54:01 pm »

The file is 10725x7800px.  I don't have another windows based computer that I can print off of.  I tried calling technical support at Epson and all I got was a "you're out of luck" we don't know response. 

I tried more 100% crop prints and they are still printing perfectly.   Everytime I try to load the big file and print it the posterization appears again.  I do not believe file size is an issue as I've printed significantly larger files through Qimage and not had any issues with information not flowing to the printer properly.

I have since reinstalled Qimage and my printer drivers and am still getting identical results.

davidh202

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 05:26:17 pm »

Nick, send an e mail to Mike at Qimage with a link to this thread, you'r likely get the answer directly from   him ;-) he's fantastic!

use the Email support link on this page...
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/support.htm

Farmer

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 07:28:52 pm »

OK - an 83MP file.  What physical size are you printing to when you get the bad results?  ie what print resolution (ppi) are you sending through and what resize options are you using within the program?

Yes, sending a support request to Qimage would be a great idea.  From what you've said, it's not your printer that's causing the issue and you're not using the regular driver, so that leave a setting in Qimage.  Epson can't help you with that.
Phil Brown

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 07:42:01 pm »

At some risk of going over the obvious, you initially mentioned that the problem seemed to appear at the same time that you changed out an ink cart (cyan, if my short-term memory goes back that far). 

Have you considered trying another cyan cart, hopefully from a different manufacturing run, to see if that makes the problem go away after the ink line gets replaced with new ink? If you have a good relationship with your dealer, perhaps you might even be able to swap your cart for one in a demo machine.

I like changing only one thing at a time, so that if when you get the problem to go away, you'll know what it was!

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 07:54:15 pm »

Come to think of it, how much time elapsed between changing your ink cart, and the manifestation of this problem? There is a fair bit of ink in the lines of a 9880, so you might not see an ink problem for some time.

irvweiner

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 10:02:31 pm »

Nick,  it's not ink starvation per se, it's air leaking into the system and 'replacing' the ink in the ink path. I have had this problem previously with cart(s) that 'leaked' air into the 'fuel system'. I would do a simple clean or nozzle check and all looked OK--even print a small test print-also OK. However, when I re-reprinted my image, I saw that cantankerous cart misbehaving again. What is actually happening? For a small test print, after a clean, the 'fuel system' starts out 'mostly' refilled and the print is OK. But now when you re-print the big print, you're still OK, except for the air leaking into the fuel system while printing occurs. Once the leaked air replaces the ink in that 'fuel line' you will be in starvation mode--no or little ink will be further delivered from that cart(s). This are the 'horror' cycles I believe you are experiencing--until you find the entrance for the leaked air this problem will repeat.
Obviously, you will need to check the integrity of the 'fuel lines', the seal in the cart and even the surface region where the cart seals against the printhead assy. even if I'm dead wrong I dont know why Epson never brought this topic up.

I hope my comments will be of some aid-ring Epson's bell once again, wake them up, this not an unknown phenomenon!

irv weiner

NickCroken

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 10:38:13 pm »

You may be my saviour. This all started happening after an ink cart change.  I thought it could have been a faulty cart to begin with.  I am going to see if I can get Vistek to replace the cartridge tomorrow.

NickCroken

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 12:06:02 am »

If it is the cartridge how do you suggest I clear the air from the lines once I put a new cartridge in?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up