Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle Gallerie Wrap  (Read 3436 times)

vjbelle

Hahnemuhle Gallerie Wrap
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:24:53 am »

Has anyone tried the Hahnemuhle Gallerie Wrap system?  I will only be using this for myself but do want the ability to wrap canvas to 50 inches.  I am also considering the Gallery Stretcher machine but that may be overkill for my needs.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Victor

mburke

Re: Hahnemuhle Gallerie Wrap
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:54:01 am »

I have used Breathing Color's EZ wrappe, which appears very similar, and it is very easy to use. You should have no problem going to 50". I think Breathing Color is cheaper too. I am fairly clumsy and the system is very easy to use and they have nice videos to show how to use it. Their help line is very nice. I am thinking of buying multiple sizes and getting back into doing canvas. I recently did 2 14x40 Lyve canvas prints and won 1st and 2nd place in an art show.

Mike

vjbelle

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:24:38 am »

The two systems look to be identical.  Its great to hear of your success using this system...... sure will save me a lot of money.

Victor

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:40:55 am »

The same system is available from at least three vendors online (it's all made by igwrap). I've used them with success up to 40".

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:48:45 pm »

I've used the Breathing Color EasyWrappe system for about a year and am impressed with the ease of use and the quality of the product. My only issue has been that when I coat the canvas, it shrinks slightly in length. If you want to use the pre-cut lengths, you'll need to take this into consideration. But a miter saw works well, too, although you will need to get a roll of double-sided masking tape to replace the piece that you will chop off the end you cut. No big deal, really. You can buy a sample kit from BC and give it a try. I think you'll be impressed.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

John LeClair

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 01:52:09 pm »

I have been using the Breathing Color Easy Wrap System and have been very pleased with result.   Find it very clever system  and easy to use.
Have done about 20 wraps to date.    I do put down a very smooth piece of fabric on my work table to protect the canvas.   The print needs to be
turned several times as one is working on it. A little extra protection would prevent any marring/scratching of the work.   Largest dimension to date is 36 inches. 

John

vjbelle

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:07:48 pm »

My only issue has been that when I coat the canvas, it shrinks slightly in length. If you want to use the pre-cut lengths, you'll need to take this into consideration.

That's good to know.  I would think, though, that the shrinkage could be anticipated.  Reducing the length of the bars, as you mentioned, also is a remedy.  I also do want to be able to reliably stretch to 50 inches.  From everything I see it should be doable. 

Victor

irvweiner

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 02:54:18 pm »

igrwrap is the apparent mfgr of each re-branded product, I used Breathing Color's since I had also ordered some of their paper and canvas. A pleasure to use.
I printed on 13x20 frames, limited by the 17" width of the 3880. My printer's max GFW would be 13x33.

mburke: Lightning must strike twice with these GWF's, 2 of of 'return to B&W' prints, one printed on Vibrance Luster (paper), the other on Lyve (canvas) also took 1st and 2nd prize at the camera clubs monthly competition. The 1st then went on to win the grand prize for the competition of the year!

I was successful in creating the 'paper' gallery wrap because I had mounted a 1" square of fabric tape under the corners that get folded and highly stressed. I believe I posted details of my technique earlier on this site.

BTW, BC also sell extender (or shrinkage) bars that permit you to cut a frame section and extend or reduce its overall length--yielding greater flexibility in print size.
A second hint to offer: At each corner peel back the tape until you clear the mitre joint area and pull it out from the frame. Cut the tape in the center of each frame and peel out ~1" and bring it out also. Now carefully align the frame on the back of the print, hopefully you made some guidelines, then press down on the corners of the 4 bars. This yields an accurate, initial tape tack; pull the tape 'tabs' out, press down again and repeat for each. Note that by cutting the tape in the middle of each frame bar there is no tape build up during tape removal--your alignment is preserved.

The GFW's are perfect for my 'wide view' landscapes--no frame to impose a tunnel vision view on the eye and no glass to present disturbing reflections or hide the paper's/canvas's texture chosen to enhance the print.  If I were able to do a 20x30 GFW of the Grand Canyon, viewing this image would feel like stepping to the canyon vista itself.  Victor, at 50" width I would need a safety harness for viewing.  Enjoy
irv weiner

rmyers

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »

I printed on 13x20 frames, limited by the 17" width of the 3880. My printer's max GFW would be 13x33.

Could you not do 14 x 21 with the 3880 and the 1.25" wrap bars?  You would need to print 16.5" wide, correct?  I am about to order some to use and I am printing on 3880 as well.

irvweiner

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 12:28:48 am »

rmyers  Yes, I'm aware of that choice and that extra inch is really invaluable. I do not necessarily care to print with the 1:1.5 format, my formats may be square or rectangular depending on the image. Again, my max printing length for the 3880 is 37.4 in. from which I have to subtract the frame bar size and allow for shrinkage when coating. The use of the extender bars will allow me to create a frame size that is shorter or longer than the standard stock available or what I may have on hand.

Thanks for your suggestion

irv weiner

vjbelle

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 12:41:17 am »

Irv,

What are you using for the coating and how are you applying it?  I own a 9900 and have done a lot of printing but not on canvas.  I'm at the early stage of deciding whether or not to print satin or print matt and finish with satin or gloss..... the goal is to have a satin type finish. 

Victor

irvweiner

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 02:58:54 am »

vjbelle, you are very fortunate--there are many pro printers-framers on this site and NatureScapes that do this daily and post quite frequently. A simple search here and there should get substantial results.

I purchased the Breathing Color Timeless Satin (avail. gloss, matte,satin) and Glamour 2 matte (avail. gloss, matte) using the roller brush, my pix are <<50 in.!  I'm still learning, er, experimenting.
BC has some decent how to videos and tips on framing and coating. There is a whole array of spray coatings that are also used, in fact many of the 'varnishes' are sprayed. This activity is quite a vast arena but help is here.

irv weiner

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 05:52:29 am »

Irv has it right. Searching will find you tons of great info.
If you want more specific info contact me by private email.

vjbelle

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 08:54:31 am »

Irv,

Thanks again for taking the time to post.  The BC site has lots of information and good guidance.  I should be up to speed in a reasonable time period. 

Victor

vjbelle

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 08:55:21 am »

Dan,

I have read many of your posts...... thanks for the offer of a helping hand.

Victor
Pages: [1]   Go Up