Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best tripod for IQ180 and 645DF  (Read 5401 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Best tripod for IQ180 and 645DF
« on: August 11, 2011, 07:35:46 pm »

so I ordered a new camera and all that, I was thinking I would upgrade the tripod with it for safety's sake as well as overall usability. I currently use that Gitzo mountaineer or whatever the biggest one is. I was thinking of something like one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/378691-REG/Vinten_3884_3_38843_2_Stage_Carbon_Fiber.html

does anyone use them for still photos? I don't know anything about the different brands I just know they are supposed to be more stable? and do we think you could use an arca swiss cube with it?
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Best tripod for IQ180 and 645DF
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:07:03 pm »

*ouch*  I think I'd be visiting my massage therapist or chiropractor with the platform you linked---that's awfully heavy, and I'd doubt you'd enjoy any more stability with the DF and IQ180 using the Cube with a 5 series Gitzo CF or even RRS TVC 3 series.  For the price, you could almost get both the Gitzo 5 series and the RRS TVC 2 series for less weight...

I'm currently using a Gitzo 5541LS with Arca Cube with my Phase DF and IQ180.  For lighter weight, I really like the RRS TVC-24 tripod.  RRS really did a nice job engineering their new tripods.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:09:21 pm by kdphotography »

Graham Welland

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 11:15:05 pm »

I agree with Guy & Ken that if you want ultimate stability and don't mind the bulk then you can't go wrong with the Gitzo 5 series. I finally ended up getting a 5561SGT as my ultimate landscape shooting tripod. Don't be fooled by the height of the thing because obviously you don't shoot with it at maximum height but the ability to extend one or two legs out when on a steep hill or wall is very very useful! Rock solid at all heights and I'd wager that it's a fraction of the weight of the tripod you linked to.

I also have a 3 series for lighter travel use although in reality I find schlepping the 55661SGT along to be worth the effort. YMMV.

Head: Cube for just landscape/static stuff or one of Arca's, RRS, Markins, etc etc bullheads for more universal shooting.
Graham

david_duffin

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:36:43 am »

Being a gearhead, I've gone through Gitzo 2, 3, and 5 series tripods and a couple of RRS ones, all carbon-fiber models. I have a Sachtler CF tripod and head for video.  The extra torsional stability of a Vinten or Sachtler is no doubt desirable for panning with a heavy video camera, but I would suggest you would not find either tripod as practical to place in your vehicle, pack around with, or set up.  Certainly they are more difficult to work with in uneven terrain.

My most-used tripods for landscape have become the Series 2 or 3 RRS tall 4-section CF models with leveling base.  RRS tripod feet seem to give more stability than the Gitzos and are less sensitive to an accidental nudge. Replacing the Arca clamp on the top of the Cube with an RRS quick-release lever has proved well worth the extra cost and minor trouble.  The RRS tripods are somewhat more expensive than Gitzos but either brand is good.

I haven't found anything more effective than the Cube for fine-tuning a static composition.  It sucks a bit unless the top of the tripod is relatively level -- an RRS or Gitzo leveling base adds some weight but can be useful  :)

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 01:56:59 pm »

i am a student learning studio shot currently.i think to choose a tripod depends more on what you are doing.the link of the vinten tripod shows a video tripod.you can see the ball shape at the top ,that is for big cinema camera head for sony arri or red.like those made by oconnor.it can hold way heavier gear than 645df.so basically you do not need it.

and lets go back to the question.

if you travel with your camera a lot,gitzo and manfrotto is quite good enough.i only have one more recommendation that you go with metal ones.they are less expensive,and more durable.you can put it in water,on rock mountain,any where.one hit dose not compromise the whose structure.

if you do studio a lot,like i do right now.i am using manfrotto 475B.very basic studio setup.and very reliable.when you prepare for much post photoshop editing,the tripod is very steady,you will not worry about the camera is moved,and the reference is messed up.

for the head.i do not recommend ball head for MF cameras.specially if you do panoramic shooting a lot.gear head or 3 way head is better.you can see the angle you moved and you can have accurate movement.and they can be locked stronger than ball head.by the way,i am using manfrotto 229 right now.

hope this is helpful.

http://img3.douban.com/view/photo/photo/public/p1136438231.jpg
this is Torchiam and his army vs the world

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:59:18 pm »

Hi,

The new Arca Swiss D4 is very nice. My main tripod is the Gitzo GT3541LS, with no center column. I don't shoot MF but quite a lot with long telephoto lenses, that is also quite critical.

I guess that the RRS tripods are preferable over Gitzo regarding workmanship. Unfortunately they were released a couple of weeks after me buying the GT3541LS.

Regarding the Arca Swiss D4 there is also a version D4m, it's like the D4 but without gears. In my view gears make a lot of sense.

I'm not at all impressed by the "Fliplock" and have significant interest in replacing it with an RRS lever type QR.

Best regards
Erik

Being a gearhead, I've gone through Gitzo 2, 3, and 5 series tripods and a couple of RRS ones, all carbon-fiber models. I have a Sachtler CF tripod and head for video.  The extra torsional stability of a Vinten or Sachtler is no doubt desirable for panning with a heavy video camera, but I would suggest you would not find either tripod as practical to place in your vehicle, pack around with, or set up.  Certainly they are more difficult to work with in uneven terrain.

My most-used tripods for landscape have become the Series 2 or 3 RRS tall 4-section CF models with leveling base.  RRS tripod feet seem to give more stability than the Gitzos and are less sensitive to an accidental nudge. Replacing the Arca clamp on the top of the Cube with an RRS quick-release lever has proved well worth the extra cost and minor trouble.  The RRS tripods are somewhat more expensive than Gitzos but either brand is good.

I haven't found anything more effective than the Cube for fine-tuning a static composition.  It sucks a bit unless the top of the tripod is relatively level -- an RRS or Gitzo leveling base adds some weight but can be useful  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:15:32 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 03:16:34 pm »

Thanks for the responses.

It may be a stupid question and please don't yell at me too much but what exactly does a leveling base do beyond the obvious. Does it just always attempt to level itself out? I think more what I mean is this a passive act or will it be one more thing that I have to think about while shooting? thanks.

~BH
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Graham Welland

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:19:35 pm »

Leveling base:

You manually release a control knob/grip and set the base to level (normally via bubble level on base or head) and then tighten it. It gives you a good starting point for using the head on top, especially if you pan.

The Gitzo's have a grip that twists and protrudes beneath the base plate. Some of the others like acratech, manfrotto etc have a knob or knurled controls.
Graham

sgilbert

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 05:38:21 pm »

Brian,

As Graham says, it is not passive;  you have to loosen the base, set the camera level, and then tighten it.  Really Right Stuff makes two different leveling bases, for its two tripods.  Both have bubble ("bullseye") levels to help set the camera level.  The Cube and other geared heads also require you to adjust for level manually;  but unlike the RRS bases, their adjustments are dialed in and the movement is controlled via gears.  

leuallen

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 06:43:47 pm »

I have leveling bases on all my tripods. Like the Acratech best but have various other Manfrotto units. The first thing I do when I set the tripod up is level the base. It only take a half minute. If I am doing a pano or a landscape I then level the camera to the horizon using a bubble level. This way when I alter the composition by rotating the camera everything vertically stays the same and panos come out straight. If the base is not level, when you rotate it throws off the vertical composition and screws panos - I hate that. Use 3-way heads for independent control and precise composition. Have a good ball head when speed and fluidity are more important than precise composition. Ball head is on an extra center post so it can be swapped quickly. Use an L bracket for verticals. All is always in the car trunk (two tripods -large aluminum with geared head and medium size carbon with Induro PHQ-1) so I know that I always have what I need for most any situation. Works well for me as most of my shooting is with tripod.

Larry

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 09:23:05 am »

Just make sure you get a pod without a centre column. The new RRS pods are gorgeous, or so I hear, because they are always hard to get. And they're actually made in the USA. Crazy, eh?

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up