Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vancouver Island, Canada  (Read 3860 times)

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
Vancouver Island, Canada
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:30:51 pm »

Hello,
I'm heading for a trip to Vancouver island in a few days and would be great to get any recommendations for loations I should visit.

Thanks

Jason

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Vancouver Island, Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 01:01:59 am »

Welcome to the island, Jason!  BTW, it may be an 'island', but it's 32,134 km2 (12,407 sq mi) so where abouts on the island are you going to be?  And how much time do you have?  And what genres of photography are you interested in?  Perspective is everything.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jason Denning

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 02:11:02 am »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, I'll be coming into nanaimo in the ferry with my car and my current plan of places to visit is Cathedral grove, pacific rim national park and tofino.
I'll be there 4 or 5 days or more depending on how much I like it.

I shoot landscapes mainly, panoramics are my specialty and I am looking for interesting coast, mountains and lakes. I usually only take wildlife if it's withong a landscape so seals etc would work if they are on a rock or have mountains behind.

Thanks

Jason
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:13:29 am by Jason Denning »

grilla

• http://thecolorblindphotographer.net
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:52:25 pm »

Please let me know what you find out I will be in Victoria eight days.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 04:41:58 pm »

Hi Jason:  Nanaimo's a good central location, and you have some good ideas in mind already.  You might want to check out Waterfalls of Vancouver Island for a map of some locations.  If you're interested in caving, there are some good caving sites not too far from Cathdral Grove, and if you're going west from Parksville you could also stop in at the Butterfly and Orchid Garden near Coombs.  The road from Parksville to Port Alberni and on to Ucluelet & Tofino is something you don't want to speed on - narrow and windy but quite picturesque.  All three towns are worth visiting, and if you're in Port Alberni you can book a ride on a boat that goes to the coast.  Port Alberni is in the middle of the island, but it's at the end of a very long inlet, and so is still in danger from tsunami.  If you go north from Nanaimo you head toward Parksville (the international sand castle competition is over for this year) and then toward Qualicum Beach and on to Comox/ Courtenay and then Campbell River and points north.  Port Hardy is pretty much where the road ends.  The farther north you go the more 'remote' it gets, and if you get into the mountains this time of year up there you'll still run into snow.  One site you could check out is the Island Nature blog.

There's also Tourism Vancouver Island and Tourism BC  If you're looking for cultural activities you can try Harbour Living  And you'll probably want to have a look at BC Parks as well.

South from Nanaimo you run into Duncan/ Ladysmith/ Chemainus, and the Cowichan Valley - home to artisan cheeses (including the only water buffalo herd in Canada), wineries, arts, crafts, farms and more.  There's also the Malahat area, more parks like Goldstream, and Victoria's about 1 1/2 hours from Nanaimo.  Victoria is not a bad place to live (if you ask me) but the official line is that you don't want to move here - cold, rains all the time... got to keep the place to ourselves!  ;)  Go south or east from Victoria and you hit water and then Washington state.  West and you head into the Sooke area (home of the Sooke potholes and more), and beyond that is Port Renfrew and Juan de Fuca Park.  North of that is the Carmanah valley.

That should give you enough to start with, and you can also take a ferry from Victoria, Nanaimo, Comox, Campbell River or Port McNeill to one or more of the Gulf Islands.

Mike.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:49:36 am by wolfnowl »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:47:26 am »

P.S.  One more link, for the greater Victoria area - includes information on regional parks, etc: Capital Regional District.  Oh, and there's Tourism Victoria, too...

Mike.

mhl-c

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:50:47 pm »

Was on Vancouver Island last year - as you have mentioned - Cathedral Grove and Pacific Rim are famous.
But use HDR technique for some good shoots in the forest - combined with panorama technique you will get great pictures.
Best regards Marcus

Jason Denning

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 11:48:28 am »

Thanks for the tips Mike, I ended up visiting Cathedral Grove, Pacific Rim, Tofino, Juan De Fuca and Victoria in the end. I looked on your Flickr and that gave me a good idea where to go for what I was looking for. I decided against going north to see the mountains as I had just visited the Rockies and figured those shot would be hard to beat and I was mainly looking for coastal shots anyway.

I didn't get great weather but luckily the shots I was looking for didn't rely on sun so it all worked out perfectly in the 3 days I was there.

Since I shoot medium format HDR isnt needed, but thanks for the tip Marcus :-)

Here is a selection of shots I took.

Ian Menuru

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 12:39:55 pm »

Great shots Jason. I have gone to Tofino at least twice a year for the last 30 years and have never captured what you have in 3 days. From what I see on your website I don't think it is necessary for you to ask people where to find good locations, you obviously can find it anywhere.  Great work!

Ian

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 01:12:29 am »

Glad you had a good time, Jason!  Come back and see us again!!

Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up