Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: monitor calibratoin  (Read 14857 times)

jani

• Øyet
monitor calibratoin
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2005, 08:04:07 am »

Nice,...I guess why skimp on the graphic card when one consider the $ spend on everything else.

back to the drawing board.
But you don't have to spend big bucks on a graphics card to get excellent image quality.

If you don't care about the performance of 3D games, and the speed of such, a Matrox Millennium G550 might very well satisfy your needs (although it "only" has a 32-bit color depth).

If your display supports 10-bit gamma, the Millennium P650 or P750 might be the right choice.
Jan

abaazov

• http://
monitor calibratoin
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 12:42:30 am »

thank you for the tip jack. actually i had already read those threads. at the risk of incensing some (and maybe amusing others) i am going to ask what is probably a stupid question. i just hope nobody votes me off the island.
what i don't understand is this: what is the purpose of monitor calibration? i have just spent a couple of hours calibrating my two monitors (i have 2 samsung monitors, not the same model but almost similar). i was under the impression monitor calibration would answer all my problems. i thought what i saw on one monitor i would see on the other, and ultimately on my printouts. now i understand that monitor calibration has nothing to do with printer calibration, so when my printouts didn't perfectly match my monitor i wasn't surprised. but even my monitors don't match, so again, what is the purpose of monitor calibration? am i doing something wrong? is the same picture on both monitors supposed to be identical?
again i apologize for the sub-pro level of this question. if anyone feels the need to kick a rookie while he's down go right ahead but please give me some insight while you are kicking.

thanx...
amnon

abaazov

monitor calibratoin
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2005, 02:03:17 am »

allan,
i have almost the same configuration as you do: 2 monitors with ati 9600. the calibration program is monaco optix xr. i just read the back of the box and it says "single video cards with dual monitor support are not supported on the windows platform". had i seen that before i bought it i would not have....it always pays to read the fine print beofr eit's too late!!! do you know if the optix pro supports dual monitors on a single video card in windows? also, as now i have my answer as to why the monitor calibration was off (the answer was right there on the back of the box..sorry!!!), if i have to choose one screen to calibrate, does it make a difference which one i choose?

thanx again...
amnon

allan67

monitor calibratoin
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 08:00:47 am »

Thanks for the tip on DisplayProfile  I'll try it today and see if it improves things for me.
When Monaco EZ finished profiling it installed its own LUT loader, which runs after windows is fully booted. So it supposed to load correct LUT. I wonder if it does it for both displays and if not, then which one is loaded  ? The ATI site says 9800Pro has "Dual integrated 10-bit per channel 400 MHz DACs" and "Dual integrated display controllers". Do they have separate memory for LUTs? Maybe Volari Dual will be a solution...

Allan

abaazov

monitor calibratoin
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2005, 03:29:23 pm »

i have no idea. i know that windows was only loading the profile for the first monitor, but like you, the displayprofile was showing me that both profiles were loaded on the respective screens. now i have both screens apparently calibrated, but even to my untrained eye, there is no way the image is the same on both screens. i am guessing it is because the screens are not at exactly the same distance from my eye (although the difference is negligable i think).

TeddyLoves

monitor calibratoin
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 11:49:36 pm »

(in the Windows Display Properties dialog box, in the Setting tab, click on the monitor i want to change profile, then click on Advanced button then click on Monitor Calibration tab, i can choose the profile i want for that monitor.)
And after you do that for monitor 2, what profile now shows as loaded for monitor 1 when you go into properties for 1?
after i load profile for monitor 2, then go back to properties for monitor 1, the profile for monitor 1 is still its profile.
here's the screen shots

i have 3 monitors. the one on the left (number 2) uses an ATI card, the other two (number 3 and 1) share a nVidia and number 3 is main monitor.
as you can see, number 2 has its own profile, while number 3 and number 1 share the same profile

tived

monitor calibratoin
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 07:12:12 am »

"to the extent your video card configuration allows multiple profiles. " This is the critical phrase in all of this. I just discovered that Nvidia suggests that the dual headed card I have will handle two profiles. It actually handles 2 luts and the additional software they load will accept twp profiles but will only use one because they are stored in the same place in the registry. They are saved one over the other. The little profile loader can be very decieving too. It is supposed to load luts and profiles but again on this card it loads the individual luts, appears to load the profiles but Windows says otherwise.
Hi Jack,

which Nvidia card do you have ? Is it a Quadro FX card? it sounds very interesting.

thanks for sharing

Henrik

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
monitor calibratoin
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2005, 02:28:29 pm »

Okay...  I have simply been trying to understand this comment of yours:

by the way, i'm not sure about the "Windows only loads 1 profile for both monitors/cards" because in my computer, i can make it load 2 separated profiles for 2 separated monitors/cards. my comp is IBM intelli workstation z serries.

So to be clear, WINDOWS will only load ONE profile on boot, but you can use Logo-Loader to load individual profiles.

Correct?
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
monitor calibratoin
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 10:48:26 pm »

Hi Jack,

which Nvidia card do you have ? Is it a Quadro FX card? it sounds very interesting.

thanks for sharing

Henrik
Quadro FX 3400
Nice,...I guess why skimp on the graphic card when one consider the $ spend on everything else.

back to the drawing board.

thanks for replying

Henrik
I just realized I responded to your query, but was the wrong "Jack" -- You may want to send a PM to Jack Bingham.

I should also add this was not my first-choice card, but happened to be included with the Dell refurb I bought.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up