Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Texas Fence Post  (Read 1126 times)

FrameMaker

Texas Fence Post
« on: August 08, 2011, 07:31:24 pm »

Driving along in the Texas Hill Country I saw this fenceline topped with old cowboy boots.  This one caught my fancy.
"I'd have killed it myself, if I know it was harmless"  PKD

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Texas Fence Post
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:59:53 am »

10 days, > 100 views and no comments.
Need to change that

I like it, it's a bit contrasty but that fits the scene and brings out the textures nicely.
Composition wise I might have framed it a little more to the left. Too little action on the right of the frame and following the barbed wire now my eye gets stopped abruptly at the border.
pieter, aka pegelli

FrameMaker

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 09:34:34 pm »

Thanks for looking & thank you for your critique.  It was a very high contrast scene; the sun was high and harsh, when we drove past this fence line by chance, a now or never opportunity.  In any case, I though the high key B&W worked to emphasis the starkness of the scene. I experimented with cropping some of the left side & and I do like the more off-center subject.  By way of contrast, here is another picture from the same fence line, which I also found interesting, but not as compelling as the B&W.  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:54:18 pm by FrameMaker »
"I'd have killed it myself, if I know it was harmless"  PKD

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 02:39:41 am »

Hi Framemaker. Agree the crop is a slight improvement, but I'm still missing a bit more space at the left (personal opinion). That's why I said "I would have framed it more to the left" and not ÿou could crop a bit from the right". First because I think that would be more of an improvement and secondly because cropping advice can get a lot of heated reactions on this forum  ;D

Also like your second one, The first is just a boot on a post, the second shows it's more than just one and makes it more intrigueing.
In that one you might have focussed on the nearest boot and let the background go more out of focus. Just a thought.
pieter, aka pegelli
Pages: [1]   Go Up