Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New monitor + calibration device  (Read 2494 times)

helged

New monitor + calibration device
« on: August 08, 2011, 03:27:28 pm »

Hello folks,
I am looking for a new monitor for a calibrated photo workflow (Leica M9+Lightroom/PS+EPSON). From other posts it looks like the Eizo CG series and NEC PA-241W/PA-271W are alternatives. Any experiences with these or other monitors? I have a 6-yr old Eye One Spectrophotometer, but I am uncertain whether this device (and associated software) can be used with modern monitors. Insight on this is also appreciated.

Thanks,
   Helge

VitOne

Re: New monitor + calibration device
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 04:03:15 pm »

Maybe you could find some interesting information here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=55949.0

Depending on your budget and needs I think that 2 interesting solution could be:

1)   Eizo CG245W and Eizo GC 275W. Reason: self-calibrating; high quality, all-in-one package, works without any intervention from the user (3350$ - 250$ for the largest one; 2890 - 250 for the 24").
2)   Nec 245/275. Reason: high quality, Discus hardware,  price (for the 27” 1370$, 1550$ for the 27” bundle with Nec-branded colorimeter, 1200$ for the Discus).

howardm

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:16 pm »

the Eizo would have to be a WHOLE LOT of 'better' to justify an almost 3x price premium.  From what I've heard/read, it isn't.

VitOne

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 05:30:10 pm »

the Eizo would have to be a WHOLE LOT of 'better' to justify an almost 3x price premium.  From what I've heard/read, it isn't.

Talking about quality, I don't think that the Eizo is better than the Nec. I had the occasion to see the 24” self-calibrating screen in action and the quality was very high, but nothing different from the Nec that I use (European market SpectraView 271 and 301).
Anyway there are many other CG Eizo monitor that are cheaper and maybe as good as the self-calibrating ones. For example the CG243W could be an interesting solution.

I was suggesting the self-calibrating monitors as an option because of their ability to work without the participation of the user. This could be a real plus for many people and maybe it is worth the extra $.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 12:57:07 pm »

Being a die-hard NEC fan I have to admit, that the new ColorNavigator 6 is really nice, feature-rich and well thougth out.

I also cross-validated the CG275W calibrated with built-in EIZO Swing sensor with my basICColor DISCUS, and the result was suprisingly consistent, so at a first sight it appears that it achieves similar level of accuracy.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:59:08 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up