Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Gallery  (Read 2090 times)

jdemott

The Great Gallery
« on: August 06, 2011, 12:24:01 pm »

I enjoyed Miles Hecker's article about the Great Gallery, which is truly an inspiring location.  If you make trip, you'll want to be sure you have the right equipment along.  For the Great Gallery, you'll want a long lens (approx 150-200mm) because the gallery is high on the rock wall and is best seen from a distance.  Binoculars are a plus also (although there was a pair left there for general use when I visited).  There are other rock art sites in the canyon that can be approached much more closely and a wide angle lens would be most useful for those, as well as for scenic views of the canyon.  The rock art is a very low contrast subject (faded paint on dusty rock, often covered with desert varnish)--a polarizing filter can be helpful to cut through any reflection and bring out the color of the paint.

Pay attention to what Miles says about temperatures in the canyon and the need to carry lots of water.  Horseshoe Canyon is not a good hike on a hot summer day.  The canyon can be pleasant in the morning but it heats up as the day progresses and the trip back to your vehicle means a long climb out of the canyon on a trail with very little shade.  Be prepared.
John DeMott

francois

Re: The Great Gallery
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 12:00:08 pm »

Thanks for the additional info about the equipment. The warning about water is very important, with the excitement, it's very easy to forget to bring enough water then on the trip back to the car/camp/road etc, things can get uncomfortable or dangerous very quickly.
Francois

cwood

• Utah & Big Island, HI
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:55:57 am »

Indeed, an excellent article. I have one additional thing to add. During one of my trips to the Great Gallery, a park ranger at the site told me the large gap at the far left part of the wall is the result of a Phillips petroleum employee using dynamite in a attempt to blast off a part of the wall to take as a souvenir. This apparently took place during the period of oil exploration and before national park status.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:00:07 am by cwood »

pluton

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 01:18:24 am »

... a park ranger at the site told me the large gap at the far left part of the wall is the result of a Phillips petroleum employee using dynamite in a attempt to blast off a part of the wall to take as a souvenir. This apparently took place during the period of oil exploration and before national park status.

That's why we have to reduce regulations on business and throw in some tax cuts for rich people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up