Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A single tool for the job (M8 reflections) ?  (Read 1577 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
A single tool for the job (M8 reflections) ?
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:18:26 am »

I've just recovered an old card I'd left in my M8. Amazing everyday images. Many of them are really interesting.

And yet, everytime I use the thing I feel so frustrated after a while that I drop it again.

And when I use the D3x I love fast intuitive the shooting experience, and don't particularly like the files and their texture. But it always gets the shot.

What's the matter with me?

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:24:25 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Re: A single tool for the job (M8 reflections) ?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 06:02:00 am »

You are pixeled out Edmund. You realise there is more to liking a camera than it's ability to focus fast, shoot high iso, lots of pixels and everything else the marketing dept tells you makes up photography today.I bet you have to think more with the Leica and that in itself will tune you into the scene more. Odd that a camera that is famous for it's problems and is "old" technology in the end produces images better than the bells and whistles of the latest greatest Nikon. I'm back in love with Rolleiflex TLR's. I don't give a toss if on screen this that and the other falls short of some digital thing. I'm sick to death of the bells and whistles when quite often the basics are not 100%.
Trying to figure out what a modern camera is doing is impossible, why my Canon gives progressively more camera shake effect the faster the shutter speed I use is a mystery to me and my colleagues.
Edmond, I would try to get to love the Leica and be happy that it makes images you like.
 I'm shooting more and more film, (nothing special just cliched shots that have been done to death), not for clients but I have a sneaking suspicion a couple are thinking of asking me for at least a quote to shoot some film.

Kevin.
www.treewithoutabird.com
Kevin.

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:55:42 am »

Edmund,

Gear is like mind...you know it.

A very good slave but the worst master you can have.

As mind can litterally dominates one's life and take whatever "decisions" where the self has no control, (unless you end to dominate your mind),
gear works exactly the same way. It's possible to dominate the mind because the mind is only a tool, same as camera. If you don't do it, they will dominate you and drive you anywhere except where you really want to go.

In this case, the decision is the output you have in mind.

The very little moment you start to think about sensor, AF or whatever, especially when you feel that "something is missing", at that precise moment you just lost your own creativity power because you give your energy, time and attention on things that have very little to do with good imagery.

I hear a lot people saying with some kind of "modesty": I'm not talented, I'm not creative. But then, you look at their discurses and yeah...everything makes sense. It's not that they aren't talented, it's that they are trapped into something that inhibates their talent, and generally it has to do with "easy".

Something easy is not worth trying.

For ex: it's much more easy getting a 60000 bucks camera and shot brickwalls than acheiving top imagery with a 500 dollars camera. The same, it's easier to shot D3 than Leica M.

When you say that you always get the shot with the Nikon, are the shot worth? If not, that's ecual than saying: I always get the crappy onces with the Nikon...as drastic as it sounds.

Just try this Edmund, even if you don't beleive in it, just try this for 15 days and then, come back on that topic and comment on your results.

1- for 15 days you decide that there is no specs of your gear that is missing or not working the way you want. That's not your concern.

2- for 15 days you oblige yourself NOT participating to any technical discussion, not reading any line anywhere, not contaminating yourself with anything that has to do with cameras, specially, very specially the things that you see as "limitations".

3- Transform the word "limitation" by this one: "adaptation"

4- for 15 days you decide that the only thing you are going to explore is your own creativity, lenguage and personal style. If during those days you experience "failures because of the camera", transform that in "failure because of me".

5- for 15 days your only concern is going to be acheiving a precise imagery you have in mind, and as you have eradicated the words "gear" and "limitations", your only concern is to find a way to acheive this goal.

6- for 15 days you decide to coahabitate with something that, like humans, is not perfect, and your only concern will be to extract the best of it without judging or comparing the cameras you have or the ones you don't have, and specially not giving any credit on the ones you'd like to have. It would be even better you oblige yourself not using AF.

7- then, for this period of time, you are going to watch a lot the great masters you admire, it's easy in Paris, watch the pics and draw your own conclusion about the importance of certain concept. In other words, what do you priorise? What do you really understand by getting the shot seeing the masters? Does resolution is your concern? Do you feel unhappy when you see your pics at 100% on the dev? Why?  

If you do this little game, I'd really like to hear from you after those 15 days. You might be surprised.

Remember: tech calls tech. Gear calls gear. and frustration calls...well you know.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:26:01 am by fredjeang »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:30:48 am »

Edmund,

If you do this little game, I'd really like to hear from you after those 15 days. You might be surprised.

Good advice.

I'm off :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

daleeman

• http://
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 06:37:50 pm »

I like the 15 day advice, sounds like it could work for a lot of things.

Early this AM I was out shooting with my M8.2 and must say it does function a lot dirrerently than m D300 and I am grateful it is different. I can hardly pick up a Leica without having the lens in an instand zone focus position by trained habbit, I just live that way with my mind and fingers. Fine tune focus happens within a moment so I do not miss autofucus.

I do miss a zoom lens on the M camera, bu I was born with good working feet and I am usually a wide angle guy.

You could aways sell me your M8 for a song you know.

Lee
Pages: [1]   Go Up