Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: transitioning from HP B9180 to Epson R3000  (Read 2444 times)

DougJ

transitioning from HP B9180 to Epson R3000
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:14:03 pm »

I'm in the midst of a convergence of events and have a question (quite possibly, several questions).

I followed the "clarification on print resolution" thread and the other one, Epson dithered output" with great interest, striving to take away ideas on how to improve my printing workflow to my HP B9180 using Photoshop PS5.

I did change that workflow by adopting the "Schewe Rule": if native dpi less than 300 (for an HP)--but not less than 180--uprez to 300 dpi and then sharpen with, in my case, PK-2; if native res greater than 300 dpi but less than 600, uprez to 600 and then sharpen.

The thread(s) were in the context of printing specifically from LR3, and generally about printing to an Epson printer.   

Along the way, John Smith, IIRC, summarised the print resolution thread saying that uprezzing to 720 (for Epsons) "is the business, and included this sentence about what LR3 is doing: "What happens is that of course no extra detail can be added but LR not only resamples but uses a very clever anti-aliasing and smoothing routine on the image, which enhances apparent detail and resolution."

At about this time, my B9180 took a stroke, and rather than fuss with rehab I bought an Epson R3000.  Just a few prints into using the R3000 I have adjusted my print workflow (from Photoshop to the Epson) by uprezzing all files to 720 dpi if their native res lies between 180 and 720 dpi, and then sharpening with PK-2.

At this point I should say that when I compare an Epson print of mine with an HP print that I still have around (without using a loupe--I neither pixel peep not dither dive :) ) I can't see any difference.  But what's more important to me is the possibility that those who view my prints might see the printing flaws that I don't see, so I want to use the best workflow as recommended by the experts.

The evidence suggests that I should upgrade my LR2 to LR3 and begin printing from LR3.  But this old leopard finds it hard to change its spots and would like to continue the PS5 uprez + PK-2 sharpening routine.

So, my question is: does the latest version of PS5 image uprezzing algorithm (or the next update to appear) bear any resemblance to the LR3 uprezzing algorithm?  Is the "clever anti-aliasing and smoothing" that John S. attributes to LR3 part of the PS5 algorithms?

In addition to an answer to my question, any other advice would be most welcome.

TIA,

Doug

kim

• http://www.digitalphotoguide.co.uk
Re: transitioning from HP B9180 to Epson R3000
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:51:56 am »

A much simpler way to do the up-res and sharpening is to use Qimage. Have used it for years and when taking into account things like borders and border colours find it easier than using the printing section of Photoshop.

DougJ

Re: transitioning from HP B9180 to Epson R3000
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:14:13 pm »

Thanks for your reply.

Since posting--and my post may have revealed my laziness and wish for the easy way to obtain information :)--I have found out how to use the printing module in LR3 to resize with templates and how to best control the resolution sent to the Epson printer.

What I have found follows the advice and findings that I read in a long thread devoted to resolution.

Again, thanks for your attempt to assist.

Ciao,

Doug

Pages: [1]   Go Up