Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird EyeOne Problem  (Read 2902 times)

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Weird EyeOne Problem
« on: July 25, 2005, 02:32:22 am »

I've added custom printer profiling to my list of services offered after buying a Gretag-Macbeth EyeOne Photo kit, and was at a local printing establishment making a profile for their banner printer. The printer was running off a RIP made by Scanvec Amiable (a truly horrible company, but that's a thread entirely outside the scope of these forums). The RIP refuses to recognize ICC profiles not generated by its internal profiling & linearization module, which means I had to use my EyeOne with the RIP module instead of Eye-One Match. I was able to successfully generate the profile, but when I shut down the RIP and attempted to fire up Eye-One Match to make a new monitor profile, the unit refused to pass calibration. I got out my laptop, connected the Eye-One, and attempted to start the monitor profiling process. Same deal, the unit refuses to calibrate. I go home, connect the Eye-One to my desktop, and attempt a monitor calibration, with exactly the same result, 100% instant calibration failure. At this point, I'm thinking I'm going to have to deal with GMB waarranty service. But then I decided to attempt to go through the printer profiling process to see if that works. What do you know, calibration passes and all seems fine. So I abort and switch to monitor profiling, and this time it works perfectly, and has continued to do so since.

The only thing I can figure is that there are settings that are stored in flash memory in the EyeOne, the settings were altered by the RIP, and those settings are not initialized during during an Eye-One calibration for monitor profiling, but they are initialized when calibrating prior to an Eye-One printer profiling. I would characterize this behavior as a bug in Eye-One Match, as it results in an unnecessary calibration failure indication and customer stress and unnecessary product support and return calls.
Pages: [1]   Go Up