Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the differences Platine Fibre Rag 310gsm and Baryta Photographique  (Read 10523 times)

Bill Koenig

What are the differences between Canson Platine Fibre Rag 310gsm and Canson Baryta Photographique 310gsm

From what I've read (what I've been able to find) it would seem that these two paper's are simuarl. Also, I see that Canson Platine Fibre Rag uses photo black ink, what's up with that? Its my understanding that rag papers use mat black ink.
Bill Koenig,

howardm

Platine is a pearl-ish semi-gloss paper on a rag base.

rmyers

They have a different surface texture.  The Baryta has a larger color gamut so may be better for saturated colors.  This may be the largest difference.  I have been mostly using the Platine for b and w and the Baryta for color though I have done some the other way around as well.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

Plantine Fibre Rag is an all cotton base, Baryta Photographique is alpha-cellulose but from a chemical perspective it doesn't make any difference.  However, the latter has Baryta (barium sulfate) in the base which makes it a whiter paper and should give a higher Dmax than the Plantine paper (which is a somewhat warm paper).

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography

Platine is a paper, in my opinion, one needs to see and feel first hand.  It reminds me of a soft gloss version of a fine cotton rag paper (which is exactly what it is)....I just printed an abstract image of the arctic ocean reflections on Platine and the colors are wonderfully saturated on this paper.  (I also print with the Baryta too).  I know a lot of folks will disagree with me, but to me, the Platine is a rich warm version of Epson Exhibition Fiber (which i also use when I want a bright white paper).  Eleanor

What are the differences between Canson Platine Fibre Rag 310gsm and Canson Baryta Photographique 310gsm

From what I've read (what I've been able to find) it would seem that these two paper's are simuarl. Also, I see that Canson Platine Fibre Rag uses photo black ink, what's up with that? Its my understanding that rag papers use mat black ink.

Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Ernst Dinkla

Edited, must have been my alter ago, I was not really awake this morning.

Both are photo papers in the Fibre/Baryta category. The Canson Baryta Photographique is a clone of the Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, it contains some Fluorescent Brightening Agents and it has an alpha cellulose base.  The Canson Platine Fibre Rag has no FBAs and as the name says is a rag paper, surface is similar to the other two . Rag describes the paper base, not the coating and one can not conclude from "rag" which ink is compatible.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:50:33 am by Ernst Dinkla »

artobest

The Canson Platine Fibre Rag is a clone of the Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, both contain some Fluorescent Brightening Agents that the Canson Baryta Photographique does not have.

Ernst, have you tested this? Because according to the Canson website and datasheet for this paper (the Platine) it contains no optical brighteners.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

Both are photo papers in the Fibre/Baryta category. The Canson Platine Fibre Rag is a clone of the Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, both contain some Fluorescent Brightening Agents that the Canson Baryta Photographique does not have. The last has more gloss than the other two and an alpha cellulose paper base. Rag describes the paper base, not the coating and one can not conclude from "rag" which ink is compatible.
Isn't it the other way around regarding OBAs?  I didn't see a plot for the Baryta Photogaphique on your site but the Plantine Rag doesn't show the same kind of bump that the IGFS does.  It is interesting that there is a rise in the spectrum between 425 and 500nm that you don't see with Museo Silver Rag (which we know does not contain OBAs).  If there are OBAs in the Plantine Fibre Rag they are of a lesser amount and probably different chemical structure as the fluorophore looks quite different.

MHMG

I just checked the AaI&A database and pulled some samples from my files to take another look at their appearance. Canson Platine is OBA free. Canson Baryta Photographique has low levels of OBA, and is the one that many people believe to be a clone of IGFS. Ernst and I both look at a lot of papers. After a while, many of the the names and properties do tend to become a blur :)

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:49:20 am by MHMG »

Ernst Dinkla

Mark, Alan, Arto,

I edited the message to reduce the confusion, you were all right.

The Canson Baryta Photographique is in the gloss category of Fibre/Baryta on SpectrumViz, at the time I saw a bit more gloss in it but I do not see that anymore.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography

With 1440 Super setting on my Epson 3800, the Canson Baryta has a pictue-perfect black ink curve in the QTR calibration plot, and reaches a Dmax of 2.56.  At 2880 dpi, it reaches 2.57, but that's after flattening out for about six steps at 2.53.  It seems to be engineered to work with 1440 Super.

Canson Platine at 2880 flattens out at 2.47 and stays there for the last 5 black steps with the QTR calibration chart, but that's after a rather sudden change in slope at 2.35 4 steps before hitting 2.57.  See my website technical section for the charts.  The Platine surface is like a miniature luster, and the Baryta is a little less so.

The Canson Baryta produces a curve at 1440 Super that is nearly identical to the Gold Fiber Silk at 2880.  The GFS paper, however, is whiter with an L of 98.05 vs. 97.66 for the Canson Baryta, and 97.06 for the Platine.  If you like a cooler tone, the Platine is slightly cooler than the other two, but all three surfaces are fairly close to neutral in color.  The backs tell another story, with the Canson Baryta being warmer in tone than either the Platine or the GFS.

Aloha,
Aaron Dygart, Honolulu
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 02:14:35 pm by AaronPhotog »
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography

Platine has a fine stippled surface, while the Photographique is smoother and slightly glossier.  I like the texture, but it is a matter of personal preference.  Platine has an extremely high Dmax.  I love it for B&W work.  It is said to have a smaller color gamut than the Photograhpique, but I find nothing lacking in my color prints.  Also, Platine lies very flat right out of the printer, if that matters to you, and it has a great feel in the hand.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:35:08 pm by robgo2 »

howardm

For those interested, for the next few days, shadesofpaper.com is having a 20% off sale on all Canson papers and then you add the Canson $5/$10 rebate.

Good deal if you like this brand of paper.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography

Ditto Rob's observations.  My color prints are beautiful printed on this paper and I also do "toned" black and white printing and these also are really lovely on the Platine.  (print through Lightroom 3 and Epson ABW) In hand....when holding a print on this paper I can feel the fine art "quality" in the paper.  Eleanor

Platine has a fine stippled surface, while the Photographique is smoother and slightly glossier.  I like the texture, but it is a matter of personal preference.  Platine has an extremely high Dmax, considering that it lacks OBAs.  I love it for B&W work.  It is said to have a smaller color gamut than the Photograhpique, but I find nothing lacking in my color prints.  Also, Platine lies very flat right out of the printer, if that matters to you, and it has a great feel in the hand.

Rob
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

jljonathan

Sale seems to be gone now.
Jonathan

Randy Carone

jonathan,

If you are referring to the Shades of Paper sale, it runs through the end of the day Monday.
Randy Carone

jljonathan

Randy
I don't see any mention of it on the site, where are you seeing it? For instance, 24x50' roll of Platine FR is $150. with no discount indicated. Is that price the discounted price already?
Jonathan

Randy Carone

The discount will be deducted from the $150. Give me a call.
Randy Carone

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction

*hint* Type in "Canson20" under instructions or additional notes when placing an online order for Canson Products at www.shadesofpaper.com -----the sale is still on for 20% off Canson media.  There is also a manufacturer rebate, which adds up to a nice savings.

ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up