Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flag in Collection Set not updating in Folder  (Read 1869 times)

NickJB

flag in Collection Set not updating in Folder
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:35:01 pm »

Using Collections to organize 12 different shots within a days shoot. Doing my selects within the Collection Set, give stars and finally P for my Final Picks. When I go back to the Folder window so I can look at all my Picks together so I can Develop them all together, not all the images I flagged as  P are showing up.
Anyone know what's happening?
Mac 10.6.8, LR 2.7

Thanks

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: flag in Collection Set not updating in Folder
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:39:12 pm »

Ratings and Labels are global in Lightroom, flags or local to collections/folders. So if you flag an image in a collection, the flag is there only in the collection, not in the folder where the image resides. Said to be a feature, it's as designed.

NickJB

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:39:33 pm »

Forgot that one thing about LR, that the flags are folder specific....... Just why Adobe think a Pick Flag shouldn't travel with the image is beyond me......

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:40:06 am »

For good reasons. Imagine an image is in one collection you're using to prepare a slideshow, and also in another you're using to gather pictures for a book. Having flags local allows you to pick or reject separately for each project.

If you want flags to be more global, use smart collections.

NickJB

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:31:07 am »

I think a pick should be global (P for pick is a simple key I can have my client - and me! - remember if they are sitting at the computer pulling selects from a shoot, 6 for a Red flag is not as simple and clients will invariably mess it up), but that's my opinion. I'm assuming there's no way to change that in Preferences?
The smart collection idea could work. I guess use a keyword in metadata to separate the different shots within a shoot?

Thanks 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:02:11 am »

Look up my workflow smart collections for an example of what you can do.

There's no preference - flags operate like they do, and that allows you to have multiple collections with different picks and rejects for each project. You'll get used to it!

NickJB

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:15:03 pm »

Thanks John,

link much appreciated. Sometimes I'm just a crusty old bugger who wants things to work my way!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up