Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9890 Clogging and ink waste  (Read 1753 times)

kuau

Epson 9890 Clogging and ink waste
« on: August 02, 2011, 05:56:40 pm »

Well I have narrowed down which 44" printer to purchase. The Epson 9890 for $3100.00 shipped or a IPF8300 $3000.00 shipped plus $500.00 mail in rebate. ( Canon is giving away the 8300)
I am leaning towards the Epson but here are my concerns. The printer will be in a very low humid environment  and I will not be doing "hi volume" printing. I live in Telluride, CO. Having read a lot of posts in this forum, It seems like initially  people were having clogging issues and ink waste with the 7900/9900 printers. Has this issue been "fixed" by Epson? What about the issues of constant auto head cleanings?
I would of course leave the printer on 24/7 but it may sit for a week unused. This is what I am concerned about.
Any thoughts?

Steven

davidh202

Re: Epson 9890 Clogging and ink waste
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:23:39 pm »

I have the 7900 for nearly a year and am no longer experiencing as many clogs as I was by allowing the printer to 'do it's thing'
as far as auto cleanings are concerned.I am not finding that the auto cleanings use much ink. In fact I now believe that allowing the printer to clean itself uses much less ink than doing even pairs cleanings.
My LC cart has been indicating 1% remaining forever even after doing a number of cleanings.  I print at least once a week but not high volume.
I have been considering the 9890 since I don't believe I really need the HDR Inkset of the 9900.  
rebates are on again
http://www.atlex.com/Rebates/printer-media-ink-rebate-library.html

One thing I will advise from all the info I have gleaned from this forum and other sources is...
Always turn the printer off after use as it will park the head on the capping station. This helps a great amount to keep the ink in the nozzels from drying out,one of the primary reasons for head clogs ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:39:33 pm by davidh202 »

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: Epson 9890 Clogging and ink waste
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:30:36 am »

Based on other people's experience here, I'd lean towards the IPF8300 in a dry environment (or you can do what I do, and keep the Epson in a humidity controlled environment).

Also, the IPF8300 comes with a lot more ink than the Epson (and by all reports, wastes less of it on cleaning cycles).

Of course there's more factors than that involved, and there are enough threads on this forum to keep you busy for some time!

At the prices you're being quoted, you really can't go wrong either way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up