Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: an odd arrangement  (Read 1821 times)

ChristopherBarrett

an odd arrangement
« on: August 02, 2011, 04:50:51 pm »

During our recent PODAS workshop, we took the group to an interiors project that a client of mine arranged for some test shooting.  The idea was that Jeffrey and I would split into two groups, each leading his students through the process of making a photograph.  At the end, Raber suggested we go IronChef on one image and complete a shot together.  It turns out Jeff and I have very similar visions and this was a shot we both saw while scouting.  We talked about the approach with the class, I handed Jeff my Arca, he composed the shot, I arranged the furniture and we lit it together.  I just finished retouching it and thought I'd share with you guys...

So.  How many Architectural Photographers DOES it take to screw in a lightbulb...???
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:52:53 pm by CBarrett »

fredjeang

Re: an odd arrangement
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:19:19 pm »

I think this image is just about perfect in terms of composition and colors.

I think you arquitectural photographers have generally very strong the sense of spatial elements, composition and pureness in the understanding of forms.

But Chris, that would be fantastic now you got the redone to do more films involving arquitecture. I think this could really be very strong with the experience you have in stills and probably doing presentations for big names that can afford filmed portfolios. The arquitecture movie is a niche not overexploited and it could truly be incredible.

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:29:38 pm »

Heh...  Just uploaded a couple more to the portfolio today.

moving pictures

I don't feel that the motion work is anywhere near the quality of my still imagery... I'm working on it though.  I need to pick a building to make a film about that has no Time or Client constraints and just really dive into it.

Always learning...

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 05:44:10 pm »

I like!

My fav is "37 signals"

Jeffreytotaro

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:58:41 pm »

Hey Chris:
Thanks for posting this! It was certainly fun to do a shot as a collaboration, and yes I was surprised at the similarity of our approaches to the composition. Funny to hear all of the same ideas and even phrases coming from someone else! Since we all seem to work in a solitary bubble as photographers, it was great to work together for a change.
Jeffrey Totaro
[url=http://www.jeffreyto

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 04:46:58 pm »

I need to pick a building to make a film about that has no Time or Client constraints and just really dive into it.

Chris,
There must be a building you would love to photograph for fun. Whenever I think of creating moving images of architecture, I'm reminded of the CGI short film based partially on the Phillips Exeter Academy Library by Louis Kahn. I'm surprised there aren't any others out there creating films of such buildings in a more artistic way. I guess they are all in hollywood.

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 10:36:29 pm »

Yep... another day on location.  Damn.  I wonder if we brought too much gear?

Nahhhhh....

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 03:30:59 am »

Chris,
There must be a building you would love to photograph for fun. Whenever I think of creating moving images of architecture, I'm reminded of the CGI short film based partially on the Phillips Exeter Academy Library by Louis Kahn. I'm surprised there aren't any others out there creating films of such buildings in a more artistic way. I guess they are all in hollywood.

I've seen bunches of such CGI  films at the Venice Biennale. You have these huge soaring views where you circle and soar as a bird around the buildings. Down below, human dots  crawl up from the subway mouths and worm their way across the plazas.

I think these animations are one of the contributing factors to the inhuman scale of much of modern architecture.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up