Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Computer" glasses  (Read 17491 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
"Computer" glasses
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:35:45 am »

I'm an eyeglass wearer, progressive bifocals, and I'm considering a pair of glasses specifically for use while processing and retouching.  Anyone else do this and what has your experience been?
Craig Lamson Photo

howardm

Re: "Computer" glasses
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 11:04:39 am »

I can't stand my prog. bi's for computer work.  the sweetspot is too small and it forces me to constantly make adjustments.  I look at screens all day long and vastly prefer a fixed set of lenses for screen work.

michael

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 11:28:09 am »

Bifocals for monitor work will give you a huge kink in the neck.

See your Optomitrist and ask for monitor glasses. Mine tells me that this is what he prescribes for patients who come in complaining of headaches.

Michael

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 11:55:12 am »

Measure the customary distance from your eyes to the computer monitor as closely as you can and bring this measurement to your optometrist. He/she will then be able to write you a single focal length prescription driven off the base prescription of your regular eyeglasses. Get the lenses mounted into a very light-weight frame. You'll find this makes for very comfortable working on the computer over long periods of time.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Craig Lamson

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:00:35 pm »

Thanks guys, my glasses have been driving me nuts for long sessions.

I'm going in today for my regular checkup which is why I asked.  I'll see where it takes me.

Thanks again.
Craig Lamson Photo

Abdullin

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:31:26 am »

Perhaps, re-calibrating monitor and creating a color profile is an alternative to the glasses?

jdemott

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 11:02:45 am »

I've been using progressive "computer" glasses for years.  I'm now on my second pair.  They work great!  My regular progressive glasses have a very small sweet spot for middle distances, but these basically have a large middle distance range with a close up range in the lower part of the lens.  They are ideal for all kinds of desk and computer work.
John DeMott

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 11:27:04 am »

Perhaps, re-calibrating monitor and creating a color profile is an alternative to the glasses?

Absolutely not. Has nothing to do with the issue. The problem with regular progressive glasses is the very narrow in-focus band for any one distance, meaning one is always craning one's head in un-natural positions to see the display in focus. Bespoke lenses for the distance from eye to screen solves this problem.

francois

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 12:10:25 pm »

If only it was that simple!
Francois

leuallen

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 12:15:18 pm »

I've used glassed optimized for computer use for years. They are great. While you are at it glasses wise consider a pair of glasses optimized for taking the picture. In hot weather I had great problems with sweat dripping down from my forehead onto my glasses. Five minutes and I could not see anything but a blur. Cleaning in the field was difficult and had to be done frequently. Solution: a pair of 'motorcycle' goggles with my normal progressive prescription. These glasses have foam inserts on the inside of the frame which prevents the sweat from reaching the lenses. With a sweat band and these glasses I no longer have the sweat problem and seldom have to clean them. Drawbacks: expensive, tunnel vision due to the wrap around style and foam, sometimes fog up, and they make me look 'evil'. I think I can solve the fog problem by cutting the foam away at the bottom to allow more circulation. This was one of my best investments last year for camera gear.

Larry

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 02:47:43 pm »

Measure the customary distance from your eyes to the computer monitor as closely as you can and bring this measurement to your optometrist. He/she will then be able to write you a single focal length prescription driven off the base prescription of your regular eyeglasses. Get the lenses mounted into a very light-weight frame. You'll find this makes for very comfortable working on the computer over long periods of time.

That's exactly what I did and it works great. For me it was about 24". It also helps to get a fairly large lens size so you don't have to move your head much to see all areas of a large size monitor. If I'm at a different computer and I don't have my monitor-distance glasses I use my regular reading glasses and sit closer.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:34:59 pm »

Absolutely not. Has nothing to do with the issue. The problem with regular progressive glasses is the very narrow in-focus band for any one distance, meaning one is always craning one's head in un-natural positions to see the display in focus. Bespoke lenses for the distance from eye to screen solves this problem.

That's what I ended up with ..."occupational lenses"... progressives with a big sweetspot in the center optimized for 26 " focus distance, as measured.  If I don;t like the progressives I can return them for up to 30 days.

Be here in a week...can't wait to try them.
Craig Lamson Photo

Paul Sumi

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 07:02:46 pm »

I've been using progressive "computer" glasses for years.  I'm now on my second pair.  They work great!  My regular progressive glasses have a very small sweet spot for middle distances, but these basically have a large middle distance range with a close up range in the lower part of the lens.  They are ideal for all kinds of desk and computer work.

+1.  I have a pair of progrssive reading glasses set up for reading and working on the computer.  I gave my optometrist measurements for these activities and the glasses work very well.

Paul

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 05:32:16 pm »

I just came across an old article on computer glasses. The author, Jim Seymour (PC Magazine, Oct 24, 1995) claims that what he called the "lag of accommodation" means that the eye focuses a bit further back than the physical distance to the screen, at the "resting point of accommodation". This differs for individual people, and is the correct focus plane distance for computer glasses.  The article says that this applies to either CRT or LCD screens.

Hope this is of some interest and/or help.

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 11:21:57 am »

Ditto with what everyone else has said.  My optometrist new exactly what I was talking about when I said computer glasses.  They are set for about 18" away from screen. 
CMurph

milt

• Striking & Distinctive Custom Photographic Prints
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 07:29:33 pm »

I suspect Mr. Abdullin has been unfairly taken to task because of a certain lack of a sense of humor here.

--Milt--
Los Gatos, California | http://miltonbarber.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 08:16:44 pm »

I suspect Mr. Abdullin has been unfairly taken to task because of a certain lack of a sense of humor here.

--Milt--

I hope you are correct - it's just that some of us may not take the time to think about whether to laugh or cry, so we just state the obvious.

stamper

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 04:37:51 am »

--Milt--

An attempt at humour should have  - imo - a smiley after it otherwise it can be taken both ways. Personally I didn't see any humour in it because there wasn't a connection to the subject. Of course the poster could explain his intention?  :-\

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 07:41:06 am »

I'm an eyeglass wearer, progressive bifocals, and I'm considering a pair of glasses specifically for use while processing and retouching.  Anyone else do this and what has your experience been?

I do. Jeff Schewe introduced me to this idea a few years back.  i was skeptical before trying it but it has been a real help, especially with  big displays.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 04:27:05 pm »

Yeah, as you get older, close focus changes (regardless of whether you are near or far sighted). An occupational prescription comes in VERY handy and cuts down on eye strain. I still have progressive lenses but my distance prescription is set to the computer display distance and my close prescription is reduced further. Actually, my vision has improved over the years to the point where I'm less nearsighted than I used to be. I still have some issue working the back of a camera. In the studio I usually take my glasses off and adjust the diopter in the camera. In the field I usually shoot with glasses so I have to readjust the diopter. Kinda a pain...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up