Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Architectural Photography: Which digital back and camera system?  (Read 20587 times)

greygrad

Re: Architectural Photography: Which digital back and camera system?
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 10:30:16 am »

Bellows focussing may not be to your liking...

Remember, you can also use helicals on any of your lenses (particularly useful on the wide-angles) and then mount them on standard Techno lens boards. They're available from Schneider and Rodenstock for about $400 each. Position the lens at the infinity stop (on the Techno, not the helical) and then use the helical to focus as normal.

julienlanoo

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 01:50:42 pm »

Such a nice camera, the Techno, i forgot Linhof completely, But is there a sliding back to buy for it.. as i am shure i would be realy unconfortable to use it without...

julienlanoo

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 01:53:17 pm »

THERE is , BUCKSHOT! YOU MADE MY DAY!!! realy ! :)
And it's my birthday tomorrow!,

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 02:28:32 pm »

Don't forget about the Linhof Techno. You can see Sean Conboy shooting architecture with one here. Compact, superb build quality, a great range of movements (more than any of the other systems mentioned so far), no expensive helical mounts and will hold pretty much any lens bewteen 23 - 250mm without the need for additional spacers and the like. Bellows focussing may not be to your liking, but if you're shooting tethered or with an IQ back that should be a non-issue. Even without shooting tethered or using an IQ back focussing isn't that much of a problem - it uses high ratio gearing with fixed (and ajustable) infinity stops. Also, the acute groundglass offered by Linhof, whilst expensive, is a gem.

Great looking camera, very odd video though. Is it asking too much to see the finished images?
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 06:47:40 pm »

Yes the Linhof is a nice camera (conecept), but in my eyes far behind Arca and Alpa. (Yes, i have worked woth one a long time and did not like it as much as other cameras. I would never use this camera again.)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

buckshot

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 10:16:59 pm »

THERE is , BUCKSHOT! YOU MADE MY DAY!!! realy ! :)
And it's my birthday tomorrow!,

There's a new, more compact sliding back on the way from Linhof as well:

buckshot

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 10:23:58 pm »

Also, the Kapture Group standard and sliding backs.

Christopher...what didn't you like about the Techno? I think it, along with the M-Line 2 from A/S, are really nice systems. I'm seriously thinking of moving from my Cambo to the Linhof, I was that impressed with it.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 03:55:27 am »

It depends how you work. If you always shoot to a computer, great. It works and It is "fun". (Or as much fun as it can be to shoot to a computer in these days) However, i found that the camera isn't very stable or repeatable when it comes to settings and stitching. On my Arca (same goes for Alpa, Sinar or Cambo) 5m are 5m every time, infinity is infinity every time. On the Linhof I had to refocus every time to get a perfect match.

Personally I find the poor quality not that good. The Arca M is much better. I sometimes have the feeling that Linhof tried to make it to "light". I noticed that sometimes shifting at f8 wasn't possible, because the back wasn't parallel to the lens anymore. Another time it worked again. It never worked at f5,6. Or should I say it worked when the camera is new or comes from a re calibration from Linhof, but after some time nothing fits so perfectly anymore.

Son't get me wrong the concept is great and perhaps, a few things changed in the last year, but I would never buy that camera again and if I needed one with bellows, it would be the M-line 2. If not it would be Alpa or Arca.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Tomas Johanson

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 11:39:01 am »

Can you tilt the lens in all directions on the Arca Rm3di, up-down, left-right and for exampel down and a little bit leftwards?

Chris Eyrich

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 12:18:26 pm »

Can you tilt the lens in all directions on the Arca Rm3di, up-down, left-right and for exampel down and a little bit leftwards?

No. Either up-down or left-right.

Chris

buckshot

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2011, 03:27:23 pm »

@Christopher: Interesting how one user's experiences can be so different from another's...the ironic thing being that it was your positive feedback on using the Techno over at GetDPI that got me interested in it in the first place ;)

My experience with the Techno has almost all been good. The only negative was with the current sliding back, which isn't good - too much like a sail on a windy day, heavy and not that easy to use. I found that the force needed to move the DB across was enough to sometimes move the camera. Definitely not recommended. The sooner Linhof introduce the new back the better, though I believe production has been put back (no pun intended) by demand for the 3D head and the Techno itself. I absolutely agree that hitting the mark (e.g. 5m) with a bellows camera is not as easy as with a helical, although if the helical doesn't specifically have a 5m mark (for example) it's not that easy either. For wide angle lenses though I'd probably just focus at the hyperfocal distance (using a set 'infinity' stop) and stop down, making focussing a no brainer, and certainly not requiring the DB to be tethered. As greygrad mentioned above, there is also the option to mount your wide-angle lenses in helicals, perhaps with Alpa's HPF rings installed as well. This would give you the best of both worlds. In a standard Techno lensboard, the Rodenstock 40mm HR-W would cost about $3900, in an Arca-Swiss R mount that would be $5300 and in an Alpa mount a staggering $6450, so - if cost is an issue - there are significant savings to be made when it comes to lenses by using the Techno/ML2. As far as build quality is concerned, I found the Techno I used to be first class - very solid at only 100g lighter than the ML2. In particular, the rear standard and base were completely rigid, as you'd expect since they are machined from the same, single piece of alloy.

Unfortunately the Techno suffers from a lack of end user feedback and promotion. Plenty of well reknowned photographers use it - Joe Cornish in particular is one that comes to mind, and he shoots it in a lot of very demanding conditions, untethered, using the Linhof original sliding back. However, other than a review by the British Journal of Photography, and this guy's blog, there is virtually nothing written (in English) about the camera, and the 'ins' and 'outs' of using it on a daily basis. In comparison, there is a wealth of information available of the net about the Arca, Alpa and Cambo line of cameras - both positive and negative - so that a fully informed opinion of each system can be developed. Furthermore, in contrast to those manufacturers just mentioned, Linhof's distributor/dealer base seems to do little to promote the camera. In Canada, 'Blazes Photographic' is listed as their distributor. I'm tempted to say, 'Who the blazes are they?' They don't even have a website listing who they distribute to. Not very useful.

Just my 2c (or should that be 3c given the way the Looney is performing?)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:31:12 pm by buckshot »

seanconboyphotogenics

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 04:16:08 pm »

just picked up thread being shooting in scandinavia iam afraid i do not make many posts but i do enjoy reading the LL forums when i get chance.But felt being a Techno user i should give some feedback , i have been using the techno since oct 09 it was my choice after testing many cameras and has fitted in with me very well. Prior to digital capture i always shot on 4x5 cameras Sinar p2, Ebony sw,and Toyo vx125 so iam happy with bellows focusing and like the full range of movements the Techno gives me. My work means a lot of travel in cars ,trains and airplanes and is all on location so i must confess i work the camera very hard and cannot praise the camera enough,especially its build quality and accuracy.I find accurate focusing not a problem with techno ,although do not use the sliding back for the problems already mentioned i prefer and use the direct back.I use focal lengths 23.32.43.47.58.72.90.110.150.210 so for me the fact i do not have to helically mount is a cost saver.
I shoot tethered whenever i can to me it is like the ultimate polaroid,and art directors love it .But there are many situations when i shoot untethered and find this also works well for me . Hope this helps with a bit of feedback from a end user 

siebel

• Bryan Siebel Photographer
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 07:37:25 pm »

Tell us a little more about what and how you shoot. Are you a "get in close with a ultrawide" guy? Do you prefer to stand off a little? Do you travel a lot? Do you work with an assistant or do you work solo? Do you shoot a lot of interiors? Do you need to shoot handheld much? Is speed of operation an issue? Are you seriously image-quality driven or is a "decent" A3 file going to do the job? The answers to these questions will influence the choice of camera and back.
My work involves lots of travel, by road, sea and air, sometimes with, but often without my trusty assistant, Roy. On some jobs, I need to produce maybe 4 studied architectural images in a day and on some industrial shoots, I am pumping out 40 images whilst frantic activity continues on site, whist lugging all my kit on my back.
I have posted extensively on this subject both here and on getDPI, but for me, having used the Horseman SW-D and SW-DII for years and tested the Cambo and RM-3D, there is only one camera that can satisfy all my criteria for size, weight, ease of use, range of lenses and accessories, comfort and most importantly, build quality and dealer/factory support - the Alpa STC. This is not to say this is the right camera for you. Alpa make several other cameras such as the Max and the SWA, each of which has its own merits, but for all-round balance of performance, I think the STC rocks. I currently run P45+, Aptus 12 and IQ180 backs, but to my thinking, the back that offers the best bang-for-the-buck in your budget is without doubt the Phase One IQ160. Unlike the 180, it has better lenscast performance with the ultrawides. I have a P65+ (currently for sale) that has the same sensor and I have been shooting with that for a bit over a year to great effect. The workflow using the touchscreen on the IQ combined with the ease of handling of the Alpa STC is very smooth and fast. Now with liveview on the IQ, the little Alpa is a charm.
Certainly have a look at as many options as you can, but I do think this combo is hard to improve on.
If you want some examples of the kind of things I do with my setup, have a look at the Construction, Industrial and Aviation sections of my website, www.bryansiebel.com

Cheers,

Bryan Siebel

In the end, it's all about the image.
www.bryansiebel.com

MNG

• www.ngfoto.com
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 02:25:45 am »

Does anyone use or know if the ALPA Apo - Switar 5.6/36mm is as good as the newer Rodenstock HR 32mm lens with a 80MP back?

archivue

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 05:41:24 am »

Does anyone use or know if the ALPA Apo - Switar 5.6/36mm is as good as the newer Rodenstock HR 32mm lens with a 80MP back?

oh no... is similar to the digitar 35 XL i have... extremely good at F11 without mvts... but the image circle isn't really large !

"P45+ or IQ160 would be my choice."
+1 along with an arca swiss RM3Di

MNG

• www.ngfoto.com
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 08:05:12 pm »

Hi Bryan, do you use the Alpa viewfinder or the live-view on the phase back? Have you tested the Schneider ALPA Apo-Helvetar 5.6/28 mm lens and found any Color casts which are not fixable even with a LCC shot? What do the files off  the Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/35 mm XL look like with say 15mm or more of rise or shift with the IQ180 or Leaf-12?
Thank You
Michael

TH_Alpa

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 06:52:10 am »

Michael,

I would suggest you to read here, in this thread about the use of short focal length lenses with symmetrical design on the newest 80 MPx sensors. It will tell you that you should be careful with such symmetrical lenses on sensors like the one in the IQ 180 and in the Leaf 12

Symmetrical vs Retro-Focus Lenses

Best regards
Thierry

Hi Bryan, do you use the Alpa viewfinder or the live-view on the phase back? Have you tested the Schneider ALPA Apo-Helvetar 5.6/28 mm lens and found any Color casts which are not fixable even with a LCC shot? What do the files off  the Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/35 mm XL look like with say 15mm or more of rise or shift with the IQ180 or Leaf-12?
Thank You
Michael
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up