Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New images: Any feedback appreciated  (Read 3907 times)

mitchdob

• http://www.mitchdobrowner.com
New images: Any feedback appreciated
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:47:46 am »

It's been some time since I last posted but LL has always been a great help to me. So here goes...

Back from a 10 day trip to Montana, Wyoming, North/South Dakota, Could use some feedback/any constructive critiques on some of the new images.
Any ones you like, any to omit, etc.. Picts attached. Will attach if it's appropriate.

Previous images from this project can be seen at: http://www.mitchdobrowner.com

... click on Storms link.

Thanks for the help.  - Mitch

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: New images: Any feedback appreciated
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 02:54:39 am »

Nope... I like them all.  The one I thought was the weakest was the last one, until I looked at it larger and saw the little tiny barn in the lower left corner.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 02:56:57 am »

Wow. I've spotted the barn and I still think the last is the weakest - but I'd be proud to have taken it.

I don't think I should presume to offer anything except admiration.

Jeremy

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 07:05:37 am »

hmm.... I actually find the fourth image to be the strongest. Its dramatic with a sense of scale that makes me go 'Wow!'. A very impressive series, but for me the 4th is the strongest.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

popnfresh

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 10:45:46 am »

Mitch, they're all wonderful. It's funny, but just last week I was showing your website to a colleague of mine and she was most impressed. Good to see your work around here again. What are you shooting with these days?

mitchdob

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 03:14:29 pm »

Thanks all for the feedback.
@ popnfresh... 5DMII

I also added a few more for any feedback.
Thanks again for the help.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 03:32:44 pm »

I'm with Josh. They're all good, but #4 is surely the wrath of God being manifested on the earth.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 05:12:30 pm »

They are all impressive, I have nothing to "critique".

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 05:44:45 pm »

I'm with Josh. They're all good, but #4 is surely the wrath of God being manifested on the earth.
Insofar as I'd have anything to do with that concept (which isn't far), I'd view #1 (of the original set) as being just that. There's something about the relatively featureless bulk of #4 which puts me off.

Mind you, I'm an ant criticising an elephant for the curve of his left tusk.

Jeremy

RSL

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 06:24:18 pm »

Jeremy, It's a metaphor! A figure of speech. There's something terrible and abstract about that warped cloud where the others are merely representational and photographic. I'll bet it struck Josh the same way.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:27:22 pm by RSL »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 04:57:08 pm »

Jeremy, It's a metaphor! A figure of speech. There's something terrible and abstract about that warped cloud where the others are merely representational and photographic. I'll bet it struck Josh the same way.
Russ, I do understand. Given my views on religion, it can be nothing else.

But don't you see a heavenly finger in the first, reaching down to wreak whatever it is that needs to be wrought?

Jeremy

PS: just to demonstrate that I understand the concept of metaphor, I also realise that I'm not really an ant.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:58:47 pm by kikashi »

RSL

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 05:41:42 pm »

But don't you see a heavenly finger in the first, reaching down to wreak whatever it is that needs to be wrought?

Ah yes, quite right. But a finger is a finger, and a finger is worldly. The cloud in #4 is unworldly or otherworldly. That's what grabs me.

PS: just to demonstrate that I understand the concept of metaphor, I also realise that I'm not really an ant.

Well, that's a worthwhile distinction and I'm glad you've made the distinction for yourself. Sometimes I wonder... especially when I'm in a place at night where there's no light contamination and I look up at the stars.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 08:31:00 pm »

Mitch, I am generally an admirer of your work, and given the amount of praise this post generated, I hope you would not mind a dissenting view: these photographs do not say Mitch Dobrowner to me. I am also a great admirer of black and white photography, but, for whatever reason, storm photography does not seem to work for me in b&w. It just does not have the surreal color shifts inherent in storm weather. Without those color shifts, the environment looks strangely detached from the drama in the sky and too calm. It is almost as if the pictures are cutout composites. The overall grayness does not help either. Once again, I hope you do not mind a dissenting view.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 10:08:54 pm »

Bingo - Russ you are right on the money. There is something quite malevolent about that cloud and capture that makes the photograph far more evocative than the others (for me).

I really enjoyed the Lens Work edition with Mitch's work and I personally feel that his style and treatment works very well in black and white. Its not often I look at Black and White images like the storm series and don't wish to see a colour rendition.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

mitchdob

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 12:58:17 am »

Thank you all for the feedback, I truly appreciate it. It helps. And thank you Slobodan. I understand what you're saying, but I just see the storms in b&w.... color just isn't my thing.   
Also, I did add two more images for any input. They weren't shot on this last trip, but shot earlier this year.
Will add more from this last trip soon.
Thank you all again.

tsjanik

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 03:45:19 pm »

Hi Mitch:

Wonderful images; editing will be a difficult task.  I'd love  to see the print versions.  I've been a fan of your work since I saw your image of Los Angeles after a storm.  I lived there many years and so I know how rare that light would be.

Seems you and I were in the same part of the country.  I don't want to usurp your thread and my images won't compare, so I'll post them separately.  I am just reviewing my shots now, but I'll post two taken in the Badlands on 7/27/2011; I wonder if we saw the same huge  storm.

Best,

Tom

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 07:23:50 am »

Hi Mitch,

I think they are all worthy images, even more so as a set.....

As I almost never see clouds like this here ( Southern Africa-we almost never have twisters) may I ask what type of lens you use and how close were you?

On my monitor they look fairly out of focus but I presume its just the jpeg conversion to web etc...

Regards, Ivan

mitchdob

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 12:00:05 am »

@ Tom: looking forward to seeing the Badlands picts. Also the picts should be fairly sharp (except for the blur from any cloud motion) so yea, it may be the translation of the file to the web.
@ Ivan, for storms I shoot with either the 24-105mm or 70-200mm L lenses
Thanks again. - Mitch

Peter McLennan

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 12:16:07 am »

As usual, IMHO beyond criticism.  #1 is one of the best tornado images I've ever seen.  Pure beauty, devoid of the usual malevolence associated with these storms.  Inspiring.  Makes me want to fire up the van and get out there.

Your undoubtedly extreme effort to acquire these images is paying off for all of us.  Congratulations and thank you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up