Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ARCA SWISS BALL HEAD The Cube C1  (Read 5155 times)

Chris_44

ARCA SWISS BALL HEAD The Cube C1
« on: July 30, 2011, 02:45:52 pm »

I have the Arca SwissCube C1 ball head but it does not include the camera plate ,may be ,because it differs from one canera brand to another.I have bought theslidefix camera plate  from Adorama but unfotunately it does not fit in.I understand that Arca Swiss does not have a web site ! This ball head is excellent and  expensive but does not include a camera plate.Can any one tell me the exact part number or an equivalent which will fit in I know that Micahel has used it with a D3x as shown in his review of this particuliar ballhead, but I don't want to bother him with this.Am sure you will reply promptle as I am still looking for ward to try this famous ball head !
Thanks
Chris

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: ARCA SWISS BALL HEAD The Cube C1
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:12:00 am »

I have the Arca SwissCube C1 ball head but it does not include the camera plate ,may be ,because it differs from one canera brand to another.I have bought theslidefix camera plate  from Adorama but unfotunately it does not fit in.I understand that Arca Swiss does not have a web site ! This ball head is excellent and  expensive but does not include a camera plate.Can any one tell me the exact part number or an equivalent which will fit in I know that Micahel has used it with a D3x as shown in his review of this particuliar ballhead, but I don't want to bother him with this.Am sure you will reply promptle as I am still looking for ward to try this famous ball head !

You will find on the reallyrightstuff web site a long list of dedicated arca swiss spec compatible camera plates. I have been using the L version for 2.5 years with my D3x.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyNikonD3&key=cat

You might want to double check with them whether they are compatible with the C1, but I believe it should be the case.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:39:58 am »

Hi!

RRS plates work fine with the "Fliplock". The Fliplock is adjustable. On the other hand I'd suggest that clamping force on RRS LR clamps is much higher than on "Fliplock". I haved both...

Best regards
Erik

You will find on the reallyrightstuff web site a long list of dedicated arca swiss spec compatible camera plates. I have been using the L version for 2.5 years with my D3x.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyNikonD3&key=cat

You might want to double check with them whether they are compatible with the C1, but I believe it should be the case.

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

Chris_44

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:48:42 pm »

Hello Bernard,/
Thanks for your help I will find out .Do you use the same plate  with the telephotos ?

Chris_44

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 01:04:39 am »

Hello Erik,

Thanks for your help.Can you specify the model of the RRS plate compatible with the fliplock on the Cube.I have already orederd 1 plate which is useless I do not want to do the same thing twice.
Regards
Christian

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 01:17:27 am »

Hi,

All RRS plates should work, at least all my plates works. The fliplock is adjustable. You just push it together and can turn the small thumbweel. Turn it far to far and it falls apart.

I have issues with clamping force, should be much higher, but clamping force would be similar on any plate once the fliplock has beed adjusted.

I would ask Really Right Stuff directly on advice for their plates, they seem to be most helpful.

Best regards
Erik

Hello Erik,

Thanks for your help.Can you specify the model of the RRS plate compatible with the fliplock on the Cube.I have already orederd 1 plate which is useless I do not want to do the same thing twice.
Regards
Christian
Erik Kaffehr

aaykay

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 02:08:20 pm »

I use the RRS L-plate (Sony A900) just fine on the Arca Swiss Cube C1's flip-lock.  Works like a charm.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 11:23:50 am »

Hi

I used the Arca Swiss flip lock clamp for a few months on my Cube until my Hasselblad slid off and hit the ground.  The problem is that the adjusting screw can work loose quite easily and allow the camera to slide out with the flip lock on.  After this happened I changed to a Really Right Stuff screw clamp with no more worries.  You can find info here:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=99

Best wishes
David Watson ARPS

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 05:26:25 pm »

Hi

I used the Arca Swiss flip lock clamp for a few months on my Cube until my Hasselblad slid off and hit the ground.  The problem is that the adjusting screw can work loose quite easily and allow the camera to slide out with the flip lock on.  After this happened I changed to a Really Right Stuff screw clamp with no more worries.  You can find info here:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=99

Best wishes

One problem with the Arca lock is the recommended adjustment directions are best not followed and the way to use the clamp is not very well shown.  They recommend setting the first position tightness so it holds the camera but allows it to be positioned by sliding it.  Personally I have found that this position should be tight enough to hold the camera quite firmly, and if you need to position it  to open the clamp to it's full position.  I really don't use the middle position for anything, I open all the way to insert camera or adjust.

I also have both RRS and Arca clamps, and personally like the way the Arca's double locks to open and think it is more secure than the RRS lever clamp. (I also have used the RRS screw clamp, and just don't like the big knob sticking out).  I've had cameras slip out of both of them, but in both cases it was mainly due to not paying attention to the camera's position with the tripod over my shoulder.  I now always make sure the weight of the camera is 90 degrees in relation to the opening of the clamp, so the camera can't "slip" out.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 04:44:31 pm »

One problem with the Arca lock is the recommended adjustment directions are best not followed and the way to use the clamp is not very well shown.  They recommend setting the first position tightness so it holds the camera but allows it to be positioned by sliding it.  Personally I have found that this position should be tight enough to hold the camera quite firmly, and if you need to position it  to open the clamp to it's full position.  I really don't use the middle position for anything, I open all the way to insert camera or adjust.

I also have both RRS and Arca clamps, and personally like the way the Arca's double locks to open and think it is more secure than the RRS lever clamp. (I also have used the RRS screw clamp, and just don't like the big knob sticking out).  I've had cameras slip out of both of them, but in both cases it was mainly due to not paying attention to the camera's position with the tripod over my shoulder.  I now always make sure the weight of the camera is 90 degrees in relation to the opening of the clamp, so the camera can't "slip" out.

I guess the difficulty is twofold.  Firstly using RRS or Kirk plates which don't exactly fit the Arca clamp and secondly that adjustment screw.  Vibration and use loosen it over time and this in my view is a big problem.  I share Wayne's view about the RRS lever which is why I went for the ugly but effective RRS screw clamp.
David Watson ARPS

Chris_44

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 01:04:54 am »

:-\
I have read all your comments and since then I have ordered the RRS LBracket which I have already tried I agree that the explanation how to fine tune the pressure as put by Arca Swiss is not that clear.A close up of the clamp with more detailed explanation would be welcome. I am keeping in mind the miss adventures some of you had and many thanks to you all for your help.

Chris_44

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 01:11:56 am »

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply I agree with you that the system they are using to finetune the pressure is not the best one .Can you tell me what camera plate fitting the arca swiss flip lock to use to hold the tele like 70-200mm and 200-400 mm.
Thanks
Chris

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:30 am »

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply I agree with you that the system they are using to finetune the pressure is not the best one .Can you tell me what camera plate fitting the arca swiss flip lock to use to hold the tele like 70-200mm and 200-400 mm.
Thanks
Chris

Hi

If you are referring to a Nikon 70-200 you need to change the foot to a RRS one.  It is in their catalogue under replacement feet here:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=LensNikonAF&key=cat

I would also recommend the RRS long lens support kit which I have found extremely effective and better than balancing the camera and big lens on a single plate.  Info here:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=LongLensPkgs&key=cat

Best wishes

David

David Watson ARPS
Pages: [1]   Go Up