Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dreamy Sunset  (Read 7334 times)

mkuhns

Re: Dreamy Sunset
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 11:59:35 am »

And we are supposed to know that... how? You do not post under your real name and do not provide any links to your online presence.

I need to submit a resume to offer advice on a forum?  Interesting take on it......

Www.flickr.com/photos/mmkuhns

If that will make you happy.

mkuhns

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 12:02:53 pm »

Just because something is technically possible, does not mean it should be used. Remember, we are talking about a specific image, the one OP posted, and, as I said above, that image needs zero HDR processing.

You think it needs zero HDR processing, however my opinion is that it could be a spectacular HDR shot if he can clean up the haloing.
You don't have to tone map it or bring the trees to the brightness of day, but I think making it just another shot with pretty sunset and silhouetted trees would be.... Dull. Bring up the darks and make it appear like his eye saw it when he took the photo. But that's just my opinion, many will doubtless disagree

mkuhns

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 12:08:59 pm »

For example, 3 shot hand blend in photoshop. Did it take a long long time to do that tree? Yes it did.  Was it worth it? Yes it was because its gotten into a number of shows. Obviosuly not everyone is that anal in their photo editing but....its an option. Would this shot have worked as well without hdr?  I dont think so.
Similarly I think the OP should keep some detail in his trees etc, provide additional depth and interest to the image.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:32 pm »

I need to submit a resume to offer advice on a forum?  Interesting take on it......

Www.flickr.com/photos/mmkuhns

If that will make you happy.

No, of course not, and that is not what I said. It was you who brought your resume into the debate. But just in a few first posts you've already established a reputation for twisting other posters' words and then calling it "utter nonsense". Which, apparently, in your culture (or shall I say "culture"?) is not unmannerly but just... manly (as opposed to "sheeply").

You might be the greatest photographer on Earth (and maybe you are, I have not yet checked your link), but your introduction to this forum has been marked so far by an aggressive, combative, argumentative, uncalled-for tone. And it is not about your differing opinion, it is about your tone (which, btw, is not unusual on this forum... it is just that it usually comes from members who "earned" it first).

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 12:32:12 pm »

For example, 3 shot hand blend in photoshop...

That is a nice one. But it does not strengthen your pro-HDR argument regarding the OP image. Your image does have the foreground detail worth showing. The OP does not (imo, of course).

And btw, just because an image has made it to "a number of shows" does not make it worthy by that fact alone.

mkuhns

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 12:37:47 pm »

sigh.

If you go and read my reply to stamper, I disagree I was combative I just didnt like his advice and wanted to give the OP a conflicting point of view.  

Stamper got all pissy about it and well....that pissed me off. You then jumped to his defense, as I assume you know each other from previous threads.  Your perrogative, but I am not the type to be pushed around because someone thinks I'm a newbie. And by insinuatng that I was unable to offer critique that you would take seriously without a portfolio link, that was you asking for a resume.

The wonderful thing about art is everyone is entitled to their opinion, you dont want his image to bring out the darks, and I do.  Who is right?  Well neither of us and both of us.  If he were to submit it to a competition it would just depend on who the judge happened to be that particular day.

And I disagree about an image making it into shows, I believe it is important that it made it into shows because it shows that it is up to a certain level of quality.  Even though its style may not be your cup of tea.

And I did take the time to look at your work, you are a very accomplished photographer. I dont always prefer the style of images you shoot, but it is all very skillfully done. Your chicago glow and bass harber lighthouse shots are wonderful.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:44:49 pm by mkuhns »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 01:01:49 pm »

... but I am not the type to be pushed around because someone thinks I'm a newbie....

I really do not want to continue this on a personal level, but I can't help pointing out this: it is not me or Stamper or someone who "thinks" you are a newbie... it simply says so under your name ;) Which, of course, refers to your presence on this board, not your overall experience. And that was the same sense in which both Stamper and I referred to you.

And now back to our regular programming... which should be photography.

stamper

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 03:57:56 am »

I will try again as well :-)

By saying not taking an image / comp you want because you don't think it can be processed is to me, silly and bad advice. I think everyone should try to explore their photography and push their limits to learn new things.

My response was opinionated, and that opinion differed from yours. That does not make it unmannerly. Unmannerly would be for me to be a dick and attack you personally, or you to call me a noob. Thats just spite.

Me disagreeing about your opinion does not constitute unmannerly in my culture, it just makes you not one of the sheep.

You are entitled to disagree but if this the manner in which you do on a regular basis then you will have problems on this forum. The forum is mostly a reasonable place but there are one or two posters that will be distinctly unhappy if you reply to them as you did to myself and Slobodan. :-X

stamper

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 04:10:34 am »

mkuhns

Here is a link for you. Since you haven't been here long you probably haven't seen it.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=20686.0

This is what most posters on here think about HDR. Be nice if you post on the thread. ;D ;)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 04:20:07 am »

For example, 3 shot hand blend in photoshop. Did it take a long long time to do that tree? Yes it did.  Was it worth it? Yes it was because its gotten into a number of shows. Obviosuly not everyone is that anal in their photo editing but....its an option. Would this shot have worked as well without hdr?  I dont think so.
Similarly I think the OP should keep some detail in his trees etc, provide additional depth and interest to the image.

Great shot, but I do feel the current trend with combining multi exposures is that you end up with something looking like CGI, this one not as bad as most, but still it looks like a scene from another planet. I also find it too saturated. I can see why many would love the image it is a great shot, my taste would be to crank it down a few notches in saturation and be prepared to lose some shadow detail to keep it real. Overall I think it's lovely and wish I had been there.

Kevin.
Kevin.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 09:54:52 am »

there are one or two posters that will be distinctly unhappy if you reply to them as you did to myself and Slobodan. :-X

Jeez Stamper! Don't sell yourself short - I thought he hit the jackpot first time! ;D

William
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:00:57 pm by W. Walker »
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up